I freaking suck at AA, please help

Ablomis

Hi all,
I have started flying DCS F/A-18 recently, I know the aircraft relatively well, went through default campaign with some like, but I realized I suck with AA.

Example: 

• in the first mission of the Task Force Challenger you need to shoot down two Migs at ~Angels 5 together with a wingman
  • I can't shot them down consistently. What happens: I shoot a sparrow, it misses, while I'm closing and tracking them they shoot back with IR and I'm dead.

I've seen GW video, I understand trying to bleed the energy from missiles etc. But I need something even more basic. Something like an overall strategy-blueprint for AA intercept: 

• What altitude do i fly?
  • What I need to do? What are the steps? Launch far to make them go defensive? and follow up with IR?
  • What distance should I launch

I feel like I'm getting into combat without a plan and it doesnt work out..... hope it makes sense...

The moment you know where the enemy is (have him locked with radar), maintain a higher altitude and accelerate. The higher you are, the less air density your missile will have to overcome, the faster you are, the more acceleration can be added to the missile by its rocket motor after launch, this means a longer range and more energy to maneuver if the enemy is evasive.

Optional: You can shoot first at max range in the hope to make him turn away. This missile won't hit him but he is busy being defensive while you are closing in preparing the lethal launch on him

Launch at no-escape range. Since your Fox1 needs you continuing to fly towards him, prepare to use your cm dispenser for his likely answer. If he doesn't have a radar lock on you, focusing on flares makes sense, as it is likely he might shoot a Fox2 on you. Practice to maneuver without losing radar track of him.

This is all very shallow but could be some entry into this matter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ablomis said:

What happens: I shoot a sparrow, it misses, while I'm closing and tracking them they shoot back with IR and I'm dead.

The AIM-7 isn't the most reliable missile, especially the older versions. You should be prepared for it to lose track. Sometimes you can see this happen visual by watching the smoke trail.

The other tool you have is the missile impact timer on the HUD. It's not perfectly accurate, but if you take a shot within correct missile range it will give you a good idea of how close the missile is to the target. If it reaches 0 and the target is still flying a few seconds later, fire again.

Also don't underestimate the range of the AIM-9. Under 7 miles, depending on altitude, be prepared to fire one head on if Sparrows fail.

3 hours ago, Ablomis said:

I've seen GW video, I understand trying to bleed the energy from missiles etc. But I need something even more basic. Something like an overall strategy-blueprint for AA intercept: 

• What altitude do i fly?
  • What I need to do? What are the steps? Launch far to make them go defensive? and follow up with IR?
  • What distance should I launch

I feel like I'm getting into combat without a plan and it doesnt work out..... hope it makes sense...

Fly high and fast, this helps your missiles. Right now the limit on height is the limited look down capability of the F-18's radar, so try to keep the enemy less than 5 degrees or so below you.

You can launch early to make the enemy go defensive, but if you do you'll probably want to fire a second AIM-7 that actually has a decent chance to hit. After you fire your first missile, crank (put the target at your radar gimbal limits) and dive to defend against enemy missiles, even if you don't get a launch warning. Pull your nose back on target to fire additional missiles and then go back into the crank. If you do end up switching to IR missiles, remember that you don't have to keep lock after firing.

Launch distance information is on the HUD/radar in the form of the Launch Acceptable Region (LAR) It's a range scale representing missile range (look in the manual for more detail). Use this to determine when to shoot.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

https://www.youtube.com/c/GrowlingSidewinder

Check this channel, this is were I leaned the most on A2A techniques.  You will see practical examples of engagements and also learn basic terminology and concepts that will help you very much.  The tricks I leaned from GS improved my kill ratio from a negative one to a positive one.  You can't evade all missiles or win all fights but you can improve your results to something very favorable against the AI.

Good luck.

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

Also use your wingman - they are there to fight with you. Use proper radio freq then Radio comms > Flight > Engange... bandits

The road to mastery is long, so learn a lot and keep practicing, it doesn't happen over night.

The BVR fight is very dynamic, there's no one winning set of moves. Ranges and altitudes to launch or evade constantly change during the fight, you have to adapt all the time to new situation and what enemy is doing. Keep in mind not all missiles hit, enemy try to evade and so do you. I advise you to stay on the safe side, put surviving over winning for now. You'll have to turn back if it does not go so well.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 2

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria