Cbu 97

Viciam1

I see. Okay will try that. Secondly...does the small horizontal line need to intercept the small circle piper to be able to release the bomb or can i release it any time? 

Iv seeen in utube videos people dropping bombs without that line intercepting the circle but in wags and grim realer tutorial vids...they say to wait for the line to meet with the circle. 

MAN is a manual alternative to computed release as a backup mode. As far as I'm aware CBU-97 fuze can't be altered from cockpit (reality, definitely can't). Cockpit changes just alter computations and display.

SUU-64 cans can have a secondary "point and shoot" mode (FMU-140) by pulling the option wire but I don't know if that applies SUU-66 cans or if DCS models it. In Mk 20 cans the option time is adjustable but with FMU-140 It's fixed at 1.5 or 2.2 sec or something.

But really BLU-108s need that height to operate. They lose a lot of effectiveness without the 1500' or whatever of height.

• Like 1

so set the BA to 1000 or 1500 and my cbu97s should go boom? 

Man mode is in the sms page where u see all the dtos etc etc? 

Have i understood that correctly? 

Coz i seen people dropping bombs in ccip even if the small horizontal line doesnt intrrcept the pipper

Edited by Viciam1

In normal CCIP there is no small horizontal line. If there is a horizontal line in CCIP before pressing the weapon release button that means the pipper true position is off the HUD and the displayed pipper is for designating the target only. This line is called the delay cue. You will have to hold the weapon release button and fly through the solution similar to CCRP. When there is a small horizontal line on the ASL in CCRP-type display that is called the solution cue.

In the current DCS (OB branch) manual (MAN) bombing mode is available.

I did some tests. Currently in DCS (OB branch) the BA setting affects the actual fuze setting on the CBU-97. This isn't realistic but it is practical since we have no other way currently of adjusting the fuze physically.

Setting the BA at 500' or 2000' caused the bomb to burst at 500' and 2000' respectively.

I tried the AD setting. At 1.5 and 10.0 seconds the bomb was not armed until 2.25 seconds after release which I believe is correct for FMU-140 but the DCS default AD setting is 1.5s. Changing the AD in cockpit has no effect on the bomb behavior. If the BA is set for X height but the AD timer hasn't elapsed before the bomb gets below X height, the bomb will wait for the AD timer to elapse before looking if it is below the BA height or not. For example releasing at 1501' height with BA set to 1500' will cause the bomb to burst after 2.25s significantly lower than 1500'.

• Like 1

I put the BA to 1000 and bomb went boom. There was nothing but total destruction. Enemies got laid to waste and scorched earth. So it works well now. 

I get a tiny horizontal line on the piper in ccip mode. The bomb wont release until the line meets the piper. I have to dive and go fast and the line then meets the piper and i can release. 

That's called CCIP with delay cue. Basically if the future projected impact location is off the HUD then the PBIL (line between the gun cross and pipper) is truncated and a false pipper is clamped to the bottom of the HUD. The delay cue shows up on the PBIL (projected bomb impact line) at the % equal to the ratio of the false pipper to the true pipper.

E.g. if the delay cue is 80% of the way along the PBIL then the PBIL length you see is 80% of the actual distance to the off-the-HUD future impact location. The more off-the-HUD the pipper is the higher the delay cue line will be on the PBIL. You can still attack when the delay cue is displayed, but you have to hold the weapons release button and fly the FPM through the ASL. Dumb bombs are subject to a 5 mil release constraint which is the size of the circle in the middle of the FPM.

Getting immediate (no delay cue) CCIP with most cluster bombs or high drag bombs is really hard due to how they work. Since they have a large part of their flight with high drag their future impact point is going to be really low on the HUD even with really steep angles of dive.

• 1 year later...

What does the Burst Altitude refer to? MSL barometric? So if I wanted to drop it on a hill top at 10.000 ft and burst it 2000 feet above target, do I need to set burst altitude to 12.000 ft then?! I find that a lot of my CBUs burst too low, not causing any damage.

6 minutes ago, darkman222 said:

What does the Burst Altitude refer to? MSL barometric? So if I wanted to drop it on a hill top at 10.000 ft and burst it 2000 feet above target, do I need to set burst altitude to 12.000 ft then?! I find that a lot of my CBUs burst too low, not causing any damage.

AGL. I typically use 1500 and it works quite well.

• Thanks 1