BM-27 Uragan

whiz

Searching the web for this weapon system.  Does anyone know the specs if this can be used for Air Defense?  I got whacked over the target area when the only other target was infantry and I doubt it was them.   Nothing I’ve found suggests that this shoots aircraft.   Most grateful for a hint.  Thanks

actually, there was a BDM in the area, too, and I ran another sanity check… it fires a machine gun

Edited by whiz

7 hours ago, whiz said:

Searching the web for this weapon system.  Does anyone know the specs if this can be used for Air Defense?  I got whacked over the target area when the only other target was infantry and I doubt it was them.   Nothing I’ve found suggests that this shoots aircraft.   Most grateful for a hint.  Thanks

actually, there was a BDM in the area, too, and I ran another sanity check… it fires a machine gun

The BM-27 has no AA capability!

Maybe the other vehicle was a BMP-3? It looks vaguely similar to a BMD and uses it's main gun for AA. Probably the deadliest ground unit that is not dedicated AA...
(Also there is manpad equipped infantry, but i think you'd have mentioned them. They'd certainly be able to give you a good whack!)

Edited by twistking

13 hours ago, whiz said:

If you have a track file, you can replay it and the mission end screen will show you who shot who.  Conversely, TacView is good for this sort of thing if you have it installed

Uragan is an artillery system, it can't hit aircraft except parked on the ground, or by accident (so fly around artillery barrages and not through them, and you won't collide with any rockets or shells). Look for yourself in the mission end screen and see who shot you down.

The Uragan is an unguided tactical ballistic missile system, it's for surface-to-surface only. The BMPs have guided anti-tank missiles (9M14, 9M113, 9M117) that have some short-range capability against low & slow aircraft. Although that would typically be used against helicopters, it can occasionally successfully engage aircraft, especially straight head-on. These missiles are typically wire-guided or laser-guided.

• Like 1