MIDS subpage

HoBGoBLiNzx3

Any information on the MIDS subpage?, this seems to be where all the datalink information is and it's options.

In the manual it says will be added later but it looks like it works. There are quite a few different options that I was curious about.

This is the MIDS page next to BIT testing. Not under the HMD subpage.

None of the functionality works. Except you can view the channel numbers you’ve entered for the AIC, FF1, FF2, MIDS A, MIDS B. 

Only MIDS voice A and B would be of interest, and only in multiplayer….if you set up SRS to use them. There was talk of AI being able to use MIDS voice, but it came to nothing.

Maybe….the viper might be getting the ability to configure MIDS networks and this might make its way to Hornet, but again, believe it when you see it.

23 hours ago, AvroLanc said:

None of the functionality works. Except you can view the channel numbers you’ve entered for the AIC, FF1, FF2, MIDS A, MIDS B. 

Only MIDS voice A and B would be of interest, and only in multiplayer….if you set up SRS to use them. There was talk of AI being able to use MIDS voice, but it came to nothing.

Maybe….the viper might be getting the ability to configure MIDS networks and this might make its way to Hornet, but again, believe it when you see it.

Ahh so it's all for network configuration between the Link systems? I think I read it also is where you reset aircraft system faults/reboots. 

VOCA and VOCB work thought SRS as radio 3 and 4 but I don't know beyond that, any plans of implementing it further, they did say there were still working to make their in game VOIP work like SRS as a vanilla feature. 

The thing that I was hoping to find, and I know it probably won't be there but an Hornet instructor for the Navy told me that there is a way to configure the datalink to show symbology in the HUD, instead of having to blank out the JHMCS, it also allows the LAHQ and boresight to move freely within the HUD instead of caging to the nose when passing though the display.

He didn't tell tell me if it was possible to use in DCS, but he said it is definitely possible in the hornet. 

Maybe Wags has some info on it's development or if they will be adding the feature at all. 

Currently, blanking out the JHMCS is a much more streamlined process than working through the actual hud. 

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

The whole MIDS/Datalink business is, if not classified, still export-controlled beyond very basic levels and so ED can't use it.

According to some videos and what friends did, the Viper at least has DED pages that allow editing link networks (looks like three networks, likely SURV, F/F, and VOC, opposed to five in the Hornet) and wing membership (with no equivalent in the Hornet), but I do not know inhowfar that's functional. The Hornet only has the very broken placeholder MIDS page and an UFC mode on the second press of the D/L button that for all intents and purposes does nothing; actual functionalit in terms of getting trackfiles from control sources magically works as soon as you enable TACAN or that second D/L page, and as far as I can tell, you can't change anything about it.

Edited by Laurreth

On 6/30/2022 at 1:09 AM, Tholozor said:

IIRC you can use HACQ/LACQ/9X through the HUD by disabling the automatic blanking on the HMD page at PB12 (BLNK).

Yes I'm aware of the of the BLNK option, that was what I was saying in regards to having to blank it out in order to carry that information across the hud. 

From my understanding the same set of MIDS options under the HMD subpage is available in the HUD with HMD turned on. Meaning it will display data link contacts, friendlies, (whatever options you want to share via link the same way you do with the JHCMS and it uncages the LHCQ/LACQ/9X in the HUD as well) so you don't have everything displayed over each other. I would assume that the BLNK function would disable the link between the two as it does, but will not display over the HUD still (I'm not sure of this it would just make sense)

IRL it seems that the RECCE button not only can be set to record, but disables/enables HMD. 

Regardless,

The useability of the HMD blnked renders the latter useless except for a cleaner, less invasive experience when looking around the controls/HUD but loses it's functionality. I can't see the US NAVY having it any other way... but like I said, I'm just civilian. I'm going off the answers given to me by an instructor. 

Hopefully there are a few hornet pilots that could clear that up without committing treason 😉 hahah