Paveway III, dropping short?

AngryViper.101
Go to solution Solved by TheBigTatanka,

Hi, I tried a second time.

This time I started firing the laser much later.

The Paveway iii picks itself up and just about reaches the target. 

So does this mean, as with other laser guided bombs, one must not start firing the laser too soon?

payveway iii fail attempt 02.trk

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

Okay, third test success.

But  I had to follow the tutorial on youtube, changing the release 'cue' to 8,000 nm and also setup the release angle from -30 to -0...

And also went up 20,000 feet before trying to release

Why did this work? versus prior attempts?

payveway iii success attempt 03.trk

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

also, partial success on 04th attempt, different approach.

please can someone inspect my tracks and tell me what works and why? and what the actual correct procedures are to successfully deploy paveway iiis in different scenarios (altitude, lasing time etc.)

thanks

payveway iii success attempt 04.trk

• ED Team

Hi, 

please make sure you do not mask your laser, it needs to see the laser point to target. 

You seem to be turning away to much and masking the laser. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• Solution

There's a lot of variables.... But quick and dirty paveway III for DCS...

If above 20k feet, release level. Set your release angle to zero. Have 350+ knots indicated, drop in the LAR. One technique is to drop on a spot a little beyond the target, and then shift laser onto the target to give the bomb more energy (steeper). Delayed lase of the last 15 seconds has been working well with PWIII. This is for a static target.

Releasing from below 15K, and in greater than a 15 degree dive, the bomb is in "point and shoot" mode. Make sure your release angle is set to negative 30-45 degrees (affects the LAR). Roll-in like you are dive bombing, and point your HUD at the target area. In the LAR and with 350+ knots, release the bomb in the dive. Time of fall will be short, so be ready for the laser. You have given the bomb enough energy here that continuous lase works well. This works for static or moving targets, and self or buddy lasing. It's my preferred way to employ paveway III -- Point and Shoot.

Lastly, releasing below 15K and level.... Bomb will pop up and fly level until it sees the target. When you lase, and how you lase, and when you release has too many variables and the jet won't give you good cues in the cockpit (since the bomb doesn't talk to the jet). A guy who used these IRL told me that for this scenario, they just get in the sim and try different things until they have an attack profile that works with the particular target. So.... For low level paveway III attacks from level, you just have to try different things until you have a system that works. I haven't found one particular attack i like yet. You seem to get too close to self lase at those speeds.... So I think it would require a wingman in wedge or arcing the target and buddy lasing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I’m having sort of the same problem with the exception that the laser wasn’t masked. My targets are hardened bunkers, and I set the bombs to do a penetrating attack. What happens is the bombs don’t penetrate the target. They penetrate near the target and explode without destroying the bunker. Any help on this would be great.

I used an A-10C IA mission and modified it for F-16C use since it included a voice over and a variety of vehicles to practice on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer