KC-135A and KC-135E

Ikaros

Now that we are getting older aircraft capable of air refueling (F-4, A-7, etc), I feel like it would be nice to have AI air refueling assets that were from the same time period.

Edited by Ikaros
  • Like 2

+1

Right now the KC-135 in DCS is the KC-135RT. This is a special variant, being the only type that can itself be refuelled in flight via a boom receptacle above the cockpit. It however is far less numerous than the baseline KC-135R (8 as opposed to 390).

There's also the KC-135MPRS which is the same KC-135RT (though textured like a regular KC-135R) with the MPRS modification which AFAIK is mid-to-late 90s and onwards. I'm unsure if the KC-135RT IRL has undergone the MPRS modification (though images online don't appear to show the drogue pods - it's possible this is a DCS fiction).

Personally, as far as tankers go there are 2 aircraft I've got my eye on:

Firstly, there's the KC-135A - this aircraft covers a wide range of the Cold War and is probably the most appropriate tanker for the earlier DSCG F-4E (which is mid 70s).

The KC-10A, while less numerous (58), supports both types of refuelling, can carry more fuel, with a longer range and can itself be refueled in-flight, which would be appropriate for the early 80s to the present.

The problem though is that DCS has a few issues with how it supports multi-type refuelling in a single aircraft; the current KC-135R (MPRS mod) only supports probe-and-drogue when it should support both. This is already a problem now and it'll be just as much a problem on the KC-10A.

The other thing is the drogue adapter on flying boom aircraft as well as supporting buddy stores (which is why the S-3B and S-3B tanker are separate units when IRL they're identical aircraft, with different loadouts).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

The problem though is that DCS has a few issues with how it supports multi-type refuelling in a single aircraft; the current KC-135R (MPRS mod) only supports probe-and-drogue when it should support both. This is already a problem now and it'll be just as much a problem on the KC-10A.

The other thing is the drogue adapter on flying boom aircraft as well as supporting buddy stores (which is why the S-3B and S-3B tanker are separate units when IRL they're identical aircraft, with different loadouts).

Funny enough, the Community A-4 proved that this could be done with an aircraft by adding a 'buddy tank' to the aircraft. Obviously for something as tiny as an A-4 it's completely impractical, but it should be possible, at least in theory, to have an aircraft take on the role of a tanker, even when it's not one normally (like the S-3). From what I understand, the new S-3 is likely going to be the test bed for that, but we'll see when it's finally pushed out.

As for the rest, it should be a fairly simple thing to handle for DCS. When you call the tanker, the type of aircraft you're flying should automatically be transmitted to the tanker when you're approaching it. So for example, the call should go something like this (this assumes either a KC-135MPRS or KC-10):

"Texaco 1-1, this is Victory 1-1, you've got two thirsty Tomcats (two Tomcats in the flight, both under 25% fuel). Over"
"Victory 1-1, this is Texaco 1-1. Copy, two Tomcats. Current heading is 230, Speed is 270, Altitude 23,000. Call when you have Tanker in sight. Over."

When you get close to the tanker.

"Texaco 1-1, this is Victory 1-1, Tanker in sight."
"Victory 1-1, this is Texaco 1-1. Confirm visual. Extending Drogue. Confirm ready pre-contact."

When you're in position, ready to make contact

"Victory 1-1, ready pre-contact."
"Confirm. Clear Contact"

"Contact."
"Confirm. You're taking fuel."

Now if you're a Boom refueling aircraft coming into this, you'd have:

"Texaco 1-1, this is Viper 1-1. Flight of four Vipers inbound. Over."
"Viper 1-1, this is Texaco 1-1. Copy, four Vipers. Current Heading is 050, Speed is 270, Altitude 23,000. Call when you have Tanker in sight. Over."

"Texaco 1-1, this is Viper 1-1, Tanker in sight."
"Viper 1-1, this is Texaco 1-1. Confirm Visual. Take up port holding area until Tomcats are clear."

When the Tomcats clear out

"Viper 1-1, this is Texaco 1-1, Tomcats clear, lowering boom. Proceed to pre-contact."

Yeah I went a little overboard here... but I do see that as a viable overhaul, especially if we get some visual aids like the Meatball that pops up when making carrier landings.

9 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

+1

Right now the KC-135 in DCS is the KC-135RT, this vis a special variant, being the only type that can itself be refuelled in flight via a boom receptacle above the cockpit. It however is far less numerous than the baseline KC-135R (8 as opposed to 390).

There's also the KC-135MPRS which is the same KC-135RT (though textured like a regular KC-135R) with the MPRS modification which AFAIK is mid-to-late 90s and onwards. I'm unsure if the KC-135RT IRL has undergone the MPRS modification (though images online don't appear to show the drogue pods - it's possible this is a DCS fiction).

Personally, as far as tankers go there are 2 aircraft I've got my eye on:

Firstly, there's the KC-135A - this aircraft covers a wide range of the Cold War and is probably the most appropriate tanker for the earlier DSCG F-4E (which is mid 70s).

The KC-10A, while less numerous (58), supports both types of refuelling, can carry more fuel, with a longer range and can itself be refueled in-flight, which would be appropriate for the early 80s to the present.

I would rather go for the tanker asset that covers the wider period

9 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

This is something they need to fix.  They need to make this a load out option 

8 hours ago, Tank50us said:

Funny enough, the Community A-4 proved that this could be done with an aircraft by adding a 'buddy tank' to the aircraft. 

this is how it should be done 

• Like 1