Mi-8 : External Instruments on iPad ?

Hi there,

I love the Mi-8, a lot.

I want to use it as a main platform, also for training. Current real world Mi-8 MTV1s or Mi-17/171/AMTs etc got upgraded with western avionics allowing her to evolve in all aerospaces both in VFR and IFR.

DCS's MTV2 is an old military workhorse, with only ARK/ARC ( NDB ) and Doppler.

That would be awesome to add :

- HSI with VOR1/ILS needles

- VOR 2

- RMI

- DME in NM

So that would open ways for IFR training with western Jeppessen charts, while still working with a complex and interesting medium twin turboshaft helicopter.

I'm aware there is no point to see this added to current Mi-8 ( even though, the addition of the GNS430 could raise the question ), but what about allowing external virtual instruments ?

I don't know what really is Helios, but for X-Plane for instance, you got Air Manager which is an iOS app where you can select Instruments on a library of hundreds and build your own cockpit.

They are all functional and work with any aircraft ( even if it didn't features it in vanilla version ) cause it's talking directly with its dataref codes.

I realize there is very little chance that this may be possible on DCS, but still worth asking ?

Cheers,

Hueyman

IMG_0675.PNG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

• 2 months later...

Hey Hueyman.

It's an old topic, so maybe you have already found an answer. I also find the Mi-8 a great platform! I have asked Alexander from the development team about possible IFR modifications in the future. However it does not look like we'll get them.

There might be a way for you to get some basic IFR capability by using Helios - but I don't know much about that either. I have however spotted the user Horus to be using the NS430 with some sort of HSI via Helios. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kClga4qQLZQ&ab_channel=horus-DCS Maybe that helps!

Greetings,
Viktor

My cyclic stick - modded MS FFB2 and

My Mi-8 training videos

• 5 months later...

Privet Viktor !

Thanks for input.

Yes it doesn't seem to be of interest. Which is understandable as MTV2 was never equipped with such as series. But a possibility to connect ANY module to Air Manager or similar on iPad would be great, taking advantage of sim inner mechanic to display what we want in terms of instruments on an external monitor.

Am gonna check your link though.

All the best,

Valentin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 8:19 AM, Hueyman said:

Privet Viktor !

Thanks for input.

Yes it doesn't seem to be of interest. Which is understandable as MTV2 was never equipped with such as series. But a possibility to connect ANY module to Air Manager or similar on iPad would be great, taking advantage of sim inner mechanic to display what we want in terms of instruments on an external monitor.

Am gonna check your link though.

All the best,

Valentin

Hey bro, there is a windows app if you can sport an additional monitor as the extended display. It's called helios. Might be worth a shot. 

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.