Training - next gate marked with different color

virgo47

In training missions it's very easy to miss a gate narrowly and not be sure about it. One has to fly away for a while to see the gate "grow" to see the mistake. And also, one has to be aware of the possibility. I'm now constantly questioning myself "did I really make it properly?" and checking the situation in pause, which is not adding anything to the game (or simulation). Simply marking the next gate with a different color would help tremendously. Often the next gate is very close, so it does not visibly grow. Especially missions with pattern turns/circles are prone to narrow misses. I realize it's my mistake eventually - but being able to know I'm still good or not immediately without going on and thinking "hm, there are no messages for a while, probably I missed one", would help a lot.

I believe a color of the next gate is not a big feature to implement, but it's a big feature to have for a trainee.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

Honestly the gates are a rather silly feature IMO. As perhaps a general guide maybe they serve a purpose but trying to fly through them directly is distracting. Even if you try following them, keep your view ahead of the plane and not literally on the next gate.
Concentrate more on the altitude or airspeed targets and other actual instruments and forget the gates. Or try free practice missions without them. My two cents…

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I totally agree, I can more or less do the course, but if I miss the gate, then the mission is not following me, so - if I want to hear that lovely Russian voice and learn I did a хороша работа - I need to follow the distraction - whether I want or not.

I like flying free practice too, no problem with that, of course. 🙂

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

12 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Honestly the gates are a rather silly feature IMO.

So you think that one of the main purposes of the game should not be realised? That a myriad of missions should not be played as intended and that relevant content should just be jettisoned because of your two worthless cents? Nah. That's an unusually laughable take even from you.

Learn to read. Use that newfound skill to read the OP and what the actual problem is and why this fix would help immensely in improving the game as a whole and the content designed for it. I know you break out in hives at the mere thought of DCS seeing any kind of improvement, but at least try to come up with a rational, logical, or just remotely intelligible argument why that should not happen.

Obviously, yes — this is such a simple and obvious QoL improvement that it's almost shocking that it isn't in already.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

On 6/29/2022 at 4:11 PM, virgo47 said:

In training missions it's very easy to miss a gate narrowly and not be sure about it. One has to fly away for a while to see the gate "grow" to see the mistake. And also, one has to be aware of the possibility. I'm now constantly questioning myself "did I really make it properly?" and checking the situation in pause, which is not adding anything to the game (or simulation). Simply marking the next gate with a different color would help tremendously. Often the next gate is very close, so it does not visibly grow. Especially missions with pattern turns/circles are prone to narrow misses. I realize it's my mistake eventually - but being able to know I'm still good or not immediately without going on and thinking "hm, there are no messages for a while, probably I missed one", would help a lot.

I believe a color of the next gate is not a big feature to implement, but it's a big feature to have for a trainee.

Personally I'd like to see 3 colors for the gates

Green as the default

red or light blue for the next gate

and grey or something for the ones you flew through correctly or they could just diappear 

@upyr1 Yeah, that would be my wet dream too :-)... when I get lost going back for the missed gate, sometimes I'm not really sure which way to go next. Now this would probably not have happened if I hadn't have to go back for many kilometers in some misty mission + I should probably know my direction better, but in any case, three colors would be totally ideal. But the next gate being highlighted clearly is the most critical part.