Freezing a lot - Log attached...

Callsign JoNay

I'm not sure about anybody else, but I've been freezing a lot ever since the last update. It's to a point where it's more likely for me to freeze than not before  RTBing and completing a flight. The game freezes, and if I mouse click anywhere on the screen I get the "program not responding, wait for it to respond or close the program" window.

I've attached my most recent log file. I see a lot of errors towards the end about invalid source params for wave files. Could that be the cause?

I don't run any mods. Latest Open Beta.

Any tips and feedback welcome. Should I try a repair?

EDIT: This was supposed to be posted in bugs and problems... Sorry.

EDIT 2: Changed the words CTD to Freeze since it's a more accurate description of my case.

dcs.log

Edited by Callsign JoNay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

I don't run any mods.

Of course...

2022-06-29 23:25:05.630 INFO    SOUND: Added sound path: C:\Users\JoNay\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods/aircraft/Civil Aircraft Mod/Sounds
2022-06-29 23:25:05.699 INFO    SOUND: Added sound path: C:\Users\JoNay\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods/aircraft/UH-60L/Sounds

Also freeze is not CTD.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hey just wondering if you happen to be running an nvidia card with the 516.xx series drivers that just got released on june 15th and updated the 28th?

I rarely have trouble with DCS, but suddenly started getting a bunch of freezes/crashes with the open beta, but I had also installed the 516.40 drivers (there's since been 516.59 released). I did a DDU clean uninstall and rolled back to the 512.95 and have yet to have any problems. May be worth trying.

• Thanks 1

It's in the log: 2022-06-29 23:25:10.989 INFO    DX11BACKEND: NVIDIA Display Driver Version 51640.r516_10

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

6 hours ago, draconus said:

Of course...

Also freeze is not CTD.

Well, I meant Tomcat mods, as in I haven't messed with any of the available Tomcat audio packs. 😛 But true, I forgot I had those Civi and UH-60 mods installed. Do they look like the culprit to you, or are you just pointing it out that I do technically have mods?

• Callsign JoNay changed the title to Freezing a lot - Log attached...

Is your GPU running hot? (any overclocks applied)?

Along with the Nvidia drivers came hot weather - just saying.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

14 minutes ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Do they look like the culprit to you, or are you just pointing it out that I do technically have mods?

Both. Mods can and do cause problems, that's why first thing to try is to remove them.

Missing sounds are not the problem. I mean HB should fix it but it's currently in the logs of all Tomcat users.

19 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

I'm not sure about anybody else, but I've been freezing a lot ever since the last update. It's to a point where it's more likely for me to freeze than not before  RTBing and completing a flight. The game freezes, and if I mouse click anywhere on the screen I get the "program not responding, wait for it to respond or close the program" window.

I've attached my most recent log file. I see a lot of errors towards the end about invalid source params for wave files. Could that be the cause?

EDIT 2: Changed the words CTD to Freeze since it's a more accurate description of my case.

dcs.log 59.72 kB · 2 downloads

This has been a issue for a while now. Your not alone in experiencing this. Unfourantely nobody at heatblur seems to know why its happening.

Edited by HeavyGun1450
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

dcs.log 59.72 kB · 2 downloads

I have the same issue.

For me it happened in multiplayer and twice in the new F18 campaign from BalticDragon.

A couple other people also have this issue:

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

17 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Wow good to know. It sounds like I'm not alone. 

The game freezing issue has existed before this patch, and as I think is mostly related to the presence of F-14AI, which we are currently investigating.

You having frequent CTDs is either something new, or isolated to your side.

The crash in Baltic's campaign seems to be yet a third, separate issue to me.

Let us stay focused in this thread on the specifics of JoNay's crash. Crash logs are a bit of hit and miss, they can, but often do not reveal enough. This is why knowing more about the specifics of the crash would be great. Like "it always happens when I drop a bomb" or similar denominators, if any come to mind.

Additionally, 100% - you need to remove the mods. Specifically helicopter mods, that are based on the AH-6 external flight model (like a base mod) - and which iirc all heli mods are - can cause memory corruption with other mods and official modules. The UH-60 for example fits the bill. Additionally weapon loadouts with these mods also can cause buffer overrun and memory corruption, like the M134 Minigun.

So, first remove all helicopter mods please, and observe for a couple days if it changes your situation. Ofc, all mods need to be removed to be sure. You also need to make sure that no mod leaves any orphaned files, so manually delete left over folders and files, please, too. Ofc, backup what you want first.

Thank you!

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

2 minutes ago, kablamoman said:

@Callsign JoNay have you tried rolling back to the 512.95 GPU drivers? Really curious if this makes a difference for you (for my own troubleshooting). It seems to have done the trick for me.

No, I actually just updated to the newest drivers that came out a few days ago, but I still got a freeze afterwards. So I removed my UH-60, Civvie air traffic, and range mods, and I'm doing some testing this weekend to see what's going on to see if it's a conflict with the mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm....

Still getting this odd freeze. Video attached:

This was after 1h 7m in flight. These freezes almost always occur a little bit after 1hr of flying, and within 20-ish nm of a tanker. I don't know if the tanker has something to do with it, or it's just coincidental since I'm most likely to be grabbing gas around this time. The strange thing is both myself and my dash-2 who was on the left basket both froze within 3 seconds of each other. We confirmed the server was still up and not responsible for our freeze.

A near identical situation happened on June 23rd. A very similar checkride with a couple of new recruits. I was in the RIO seat for dash-1, and we were flying with a solo driver in dash-2. We had both been flying for an hour or so, and were both plugging baskets in a 135 when myself and the solo driver froze within seconds of each other. My pilot was unaffected AFAIK.

@IronMike I saw you comment on a Reddit thread about the same issue authored by someone else today. I don't think it's just me. Feels like something funky is going on. 

• Thanks 2

@Callsign JoNay You haven't reported back on your temps. All in the green? Maybe your system (including your room - depending on the fresh air supply) becomes heat saturated after an hour of play and your GPU gets hot.

Freezes can(!) be the result of a crashed GPU.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 minutes ago, Hiob said:

@Callsign JoNay You haven't reported back on your temps. All in the green? Maybe your system (including your room - depending on the fresh air supply) becomes heat saturated after an hour of play and your GPU gets hot.

Freezes can(!) be the result of a crashed GPU.

Most modern PC HW have thermal protection so it's unlikely. Even more unlikely when it happens to your buddy at almost the same time.

@Callsign JoNay Please upload dcs.log again and check if it is related to one server or mission.

15 minutes ago, draconus said:

Most modern PC HW have thermal protection so it's unlikely. Even more unlikely when it happens to your buddy at almost the same time.

@Callsign JoNay Please upload dcs.log again and check if it is related to one server or mission.

That's not a matter of hardware protection. Stability is a function of clock/temp and voltage. Supposed he hasn't tinkered with voltage, his Hardware is save - but high temperature will reduce the stability headroom.

If a crash on his side affects his buddy, depends on who hosts the game I would say.

I'm not insisting, that that this is the problem. Just suggesting to check it quickly to rule it out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Callsign JoNay said:

But why would that also freeze my wingman's PC?

It probably would not. As I said, It would only affect him, if you were the host of the game. But most likely it wouldn't cause a freeze on his side then but a server disconnect or drop put.

It's just good practice (and relatively fast and easy) to rule out hardware related issues that may cause a crash. If you are running non-overclocked hardware and your temps are in the green - you can go on hunting the software bug.

Since there are currently reports of F-14 related freezes, it may be not a problem on your end anyway.

Edited by Hiob

CPU temps were definitely running high. I cleaned up the chip and the cooler, re-applied paste, and it's much cooler now. I'll monitor to see if the freezes go away. I still don't understand why my computer freezing would cause others near me to freeze also. I was not hosting the server. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1