Mission 8 freezing during optional AAR

Jacobb141

After watching Red land at Haifa, I turn to conduct AAR with 701. After giving the command for 701 to turn back towards mother, if I zoom in at any time the game freezes. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with my PC, as the game never freezes during regular use and I have relatively high specs. I am able to recreate the crash each time, however if I decide not to AAR on return to mother and proceed directly, everything works perfectly. Has anyone else experienced this?

9 hours ago, Jacobb141 said:

After watching Red land at Haifa, I turn to conduct AAR with 701. After giving the command for 701 to turn back towards mother, if I zoom in at any time the game freezes. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with my PC, as the game never freezes during regular use and I have relatively high specs. I am able to recreate the crash each time, however if I decide not to AAR on return to mother and proceed directly, everything works perfectly. Has anyone else experienced this?

Had the same mission CTD twice. Once during refueling and once during the transit to Haifa.

However, I also had a CTD during multiplayer today.

I usually don’t have any CTD issues with DCS so 3 crashes in one day were very surprising.

Edited by lax22

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

Three times in a row, the game has frozen on this mission around the Haifa landing part. One time it froze while I was following to Haifa but way before wingman landing at Haifa and the other two were after . I elected not to refuel both times on the way home and it still froze for me.

I also think that the faster I complete the objectives, the further I get before crashing as I was within 10 miles of the carrier on one of the runs when it froze. it was upsetting.

Guys, as I say - this is not linked to the campaign. Some people report crashes at different missions and different points while others have no problems at all. if it was the campaign, everyone would get the crash at the same moment (and even then it would probably be the DCS issue, as building campaigns I am only using the tools that DCS offers)...

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a freeze occur twice in a row at the exact same point in Mission 8. I drop off 36 at the airport and I'm just inside 50 miles from mother, right around the time I press (com switch - com1 open radio menu) to call marshal, DCS freezes. The only mod I have installed is Tacview which was disabled. 

Log file attached. I deleted FXO and MetaShaders2 immediately before flying the mission. 

dcs.log

Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX 5600 XT

@baltic_dragon
I understand that it could be difficult to identify the problem but just because that not everyone has the crash is not a proof that it is not related to the campaign but could be something that happens in connection between the campaign (probably/maybe something between a script in a mission) and DCS or a very popular plugin (see my post in the other M08 thread regarding DCS BIOS). In my case, I have never experienced freezes or crashes except in M06 and M08 of the Dominant Fury campaign.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to blame anyone but obviously those crashes are related to the missions in the campaign somehow. So lets try to gather information so that you could reproduce the problem and maybe find a solution. The result could be that you can't do anything to solve the problem but right now the exact problem hasn't been identified so please don't just blame DCS. The campaign is a great piece of work and of superb quality overall but if people can't complete it or continously facing CTDs when playing it, this will probably influence their oppinion somehow.

Edited by Quax

On 8/2/2022 at 10:38 AM, Quax said:

@baltic_dragon
I understand that it could be difficult to identify the problem but just because that not everyone has the crash is not a proof that it is not related to the campaign but could be something that happens in connection between the campaign (probably/maybe something between a script in a mission) and DCS or a very popular plugin (see my post in the other M08 thread regarding DCS BIOS). In my case, I have never experienced freezes or crashes except in M06 and M08 of the Dominant Fury campaign.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to blame anyone but obviously those crashes are related to the missions in the campaign somehow. So lets try to gather information so that you could reproduce the problem and maybe find a solution. The result could be that you can't do anything to solve the problem but right now the exact problem hasn't been identified so please don't just blame DCS. The campaign is a great piece of work and of superb quality overall but if people can't complete it or continously facing CTDs when playing it, this will probably influence their oppinion somehow.

The problem is I am not using any scripts, just the basic tools that are internal part of the DCS mission editor. If it does not happen to everyone, then it cannot be the issue with the mission itself - and if it happens because of the mission editor commands, then it is also on DCS side and not on the campaign. The problem here is that to report such a bug to ED it has to be singled out in a short vanilla mission, so someone has to be able to consistently reproduce the same behaviour - and if it doesn't happen to me when I test the mission, then I am unable to do that... it is tricky, but I have no idea what to do with such instances when I am not able to experience them on the same mission myself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 8:58 AM, baltic_dragon said:

The problem is I am not using any scripts, just the basic tools that are internal part of the DCS mission editor. If it does not happen to everyone, then it cannot be the issue with the mission itself - and if it happens because of the mission editor commands, then it is also on DCS side and not on the campaign. The problem here is that to report such a bug to ED it has to be singled out in a short vanilla mission, so someone has to be able to consistently reproduce the same behaviour - and if it doesn't happen to me when I test the mission, then I am unable to do that... it is tricky, but I have no idea what to do with such instances when I am not able to experience them on the same mission myself.

I got to agree it is mission specific. No other mission I have seen does this, and it appears very predictable. It behaves like an unhandled exception.

I know  nothing about mission 6, as for me that one refused to advance beyond  circling to let blade rejoin. I ended up skipping  it after 3 tries.

But theory about cause that stands out in 8. Red is smoking. Planes eventually despawn after parking. If the smoking trigger is still active at that point, it may trigger an unhandled exception.

It can be tested by triggering a smoking plane that immediately lands. I don't know how to trigger smoking, or I could test it myself.

Yes, except it does not happen constantly to everyone (I cannot reproduce it for instance). And it has been reported that similar crashes happen when there are AI F-14s present in the mission - again, this is not always happening to all players, but it has been identified as a potential problem. However, you may be on to something with the smoke condition, I can see if it gets disabled just in case. Good thinking!