Ultraleap (Leapmotion) Bugs

FUNK

A handful of issues.

1) Most major issues are in the interactivity. There needs to be a delay after the first "click" to prevent you from re-clicking and therefore toggling the same button multiple times - even a small delay would be helpful. This is particularly noticeable when the pointers are enabled, a single switch can just become a blur of on-off while the finger is interacting with it. Less so with just the hands.

2) The finger tracking seems worse than I see in the Leap Motion Visualiser. The finger spread doesn't feel right, if I hold my hand up right in front of my face and split my fingers out one by one, in DCS it reports some fingers as crossing behind other. As well little moves like touching my  index finger to my thumb works on some angles but other times there is a large gap. Perhaps this is an issue with the hand rig used. Could it perhaps scale to the hand size detected by the leap software?

3) Sometimes one or both hands disappear when I start interacting with my physical HOTAS (as expected) but don't come back after. Which can be really frustrating mid-mission. To re-enable i need to go back to the special options and disable/reenable the leap motion hands. Could we have this switching be able to be assigned to a hotkey so if we lose tracking on our hands we can simply hit a hotkey to toggle off and on again.

4) Sometimes I'll enter DCS and my hands don't show up. I go into the special options where the Leap Motion button is ticked. The hands appear if I un-tick it and tick it again but with all the default behaviours despite having the options set correctly. I need to toggle them to a different setting and back to have them activate properly.

5) It feels like the priority order is HOTAS > HANDS > MOUSE. Meaning that if I interact with the HOTAS my hands disappear. But if my hands are within Leap Motion range, then I can't use the mouse which becomes frustration when I am looking in the direction I have my mouse the Leap Motion take priority over the Mouse. I would prefer it to be the other way, so HOTAS > MOUSE > HANDS. So that both HOTAS and MOUSE use will override the LeapMotion. 

All in all I love using the Ultraleap in DCS in VR. It really adds to the immersion being able to physically interact with the instruments. 
Given a little more love it could be just as practical as it is immersive.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Apparently I have a unique bug. My virtual hands are inverted and at the wrong angle in DCS. 

The right and left hands are reversed. Everything is mirrored. Moving forward - the virtual hand is moving down. Switched all settings, nothing helps.

Check your ultraleap settings - in the control panel app, there's a setting that permits you to switch between "desktop" mode and "head-mounted" mode.  It sounds like you're in the opposite mode, so you're hands appear back to front and upside down...

System specs:
i9-11900KF OC to 5500Mhz with water block- MSI RTX4090 OC - ASUS ROG HERO VIII - 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz- 1TB SSD OS - 2TB SSD GAME- 1000W PSU
Pimax 8kx - TM Pendular Pedals - TM Warthog Throttle - TM Waterhog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - WinWing Pheonix MIP/UPC - Homemade Landing Gear control.  Andre's SimShaker driving two subwoofers and seat kickers for seat and control column vibration - sketchpad linked to OpenKneeboard - VoiceAttack with VIACOM Pro

14 minutes ago, GayCavalier said:

Check your ultraleap settings - in the control panel app, there's a setting that permits you to switch between "desktop" mode and "head-mounted" mode.  It sounds like you're in the opposite mode, so you're hands appear back to front and upside down...

I have tried all modes. My leap controller is physically in the "on the table" position.  

Maybe I need to restart DCS after switching modes? Just came to mind.

As far as I know, when you switch to VR, the leap motion thinks that is head mounted , no matter where you assign to it in the leapcontrol app, try to put your leapmotion on your chest or on your head with a hand and move the other....the only option works is switch the device orientation, make sure also that autoswitch to head mounted mode in VR is turned on.

• Like 1

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

hace 6 horas, Rtyer dijo:

The problem was that the desktop mode does not work. I put on VR goggles. But in DCS it doesn't work well. Often loses finger movement. I will try to adjust it.

yes is a common issue, because the device when lost track it figures out how the fingers are positioned , try to don't have near sources with high reflection (even monitor), and if you can tilt a little the device in the headset (15º more or less ) to point in down direction . Mine works fine with this config, now I have to separate a little from my monitor in order not to touch it when I extend my arms.

Here is how I configured my device... one more thing...If you installed the device years ago, with the old drivers, make sure you remove all the garbage stuff in your main directory. It is the suggestion on the ultraleap page

ultraleap config1.jpg

ultraleap config2.jpg

Hope It helps

Edited by firefox121
  • Like 2

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick