Is the Syria map still 'broken' or does it now run smoothly?

toby23

I am considering purchasing the Syria map to have somewhere new to fly single player missions and campaigns.

What has stopped me purchasing until now are the multiple reports of low fps, high ram consumption and stuttering in this map.

Has performance been fixed in Syria map or not?

For reference, Marianas stuttters for me a bit too with Reflected's excellent Paradise Lost campaign.

Caucusus is smooth.

Thanks,

Toby

Edited by toby23
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X, 32GB RAM, RTX 3060

Marianas is still not good for me, Syria on the other hand is very smooth (for me at least). Also depends on what else is going on, obviously.

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

And where you are -- try Beirut and see how it fares.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Sadly it highly depends on your rig, I fly all of them smoothly after my last PC update several months ago, but to be honest even with my old rig it wasn't that bad (no Marianas back then though). The PC in your signature seems quite nice, I don't think you should have any problem in Syria, not now and probably neither from quite a time ago.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Its much better than it used to be is all I can say, but yes of course big populated cities the frames do drop. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The Syria map still has high ram usage for me. I have 32g of ram and all is almost entirely used up checking with MSI afterburner.

Again what I see could be allocated and not used but other maps do not get close to what I would get in Syria map.
The AH-64D module tend to use more resources than other modules I have in Syria map.

Overall, the Syria map is more playable now than its early days.

What the openpost could is to do dcs free trial of the map and see if the map run well before buying.

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

20 hours ago, toby23 said:

I am considering purchasing the Syria map to have somewhere new to fly single player missions and campaigns.

What has stopped me purchasing until now are the multiple reports of low fps, high ram consumption and stuttering in this map.

For reference, Marianas stuttters for me a bit too with Reflected's excellent Paradise Lost campaign.

Caucusus is smooth.

Thanks,

Toby

With your pc specs you should be perfectly able to enjoy the Syria map (I know because I enjoy it on my poorer system while using VR)

Sure, you might need to tweak your DCS settings a bit depending on your demands/standard, but I'll definitely run ok

• Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Marianas map drops my FPS on my system (see my sign.) but Syria is OK, because I barely see trees. 😄

• Like 2

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

1 hour ago, Devrim said:

Marianas map drops my FPS on my system (see my sign.) but Syria is OK, because I barely see trees. 😄

Good to see you here my friend. I hope you and your family are well?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 11:47 AM, toby23 said:

I don't see a large difference between the Caucasus map and Syria with regards to stutters when flying the Apache which is mostly ok but I still suffer the occasional micro freeze on both maps for no particular reason i.e. they seem unrelated to an event or fx.

Syria's RAM footprint has improved going from ~56GB --> ~41GB but AFAIK you'll still need to manage your Window's page file to avoid DCS running out of memory i.e. have a fixed page file set at between 16-24GB and a DCS Preload Radius of ~30,000m

Desktop Screenshot 2022.06.16 - 14.41.13.95.png

Syria still runs on my old i7 system (i7-860@2.8GHz, 16GB DDR3, GTX1050Ti, 1TB SSD + 2TB HD, 1920x1080)  using a 16GB page file but these days I only use the old system to check out tracks or edit missions, rather than fly, so YMMV.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Syria has never been "broken".  It might need a little tweaking to settings, but you can say that about any DCS map.  The term "broken" is only applied by people unwilling or incapable to compromise on their expectations.

• Like 8

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

22 hours ago, toby23 said:

Good to see you here my friend. I hope you and your family are well?

Thank you so much Toby my friend. We're all OK. I was really busy with my academic works. Nowadays I'm good. I hope you're well too. Loves. ❤️

21 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Syria has never been "broken"...

Definitely I agree!!!

• Like 2

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update for anyone interested in Syria map. On my system, it runs fine. It uses 30gb RAM at load and settles at 25gb. The odd stutter but it runs more smoothly than Marianas, admittedly I haven't tried flying in bad weather, but it looks amazing, low and fast from the cockpit of the Apache, and feels very real and immersive compared to the other maps. I don't own the Falklands map yet, so don't know what that's like.

Edited by toby23
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I usually play 4ya servers. Since I like the map, I prefer syria servers. And this map definetly horrible at performance. I don't suggest anyone to buy this map. Look other maps like nevada or maybe falklands. 

This map freezes constantly, especially when looking different areas/units or zooming. Sometimes it freezes for 5-6 mins like a slide show. Obviously by the time it comes back, I am already dead or crashed. 

Most annoying thing is devs are saying nothing (If they even exist in this universe) despite this problem is here for a loooong time.

• Like 2

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• 6 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:00 PM, zildac said:

Marianas is still not good for me, Syria on the other hand is very smooth (for me at least). Also depends on what else is going on, obviously.

There are some airfields that gets my old pc from 30->0,00000001 fps - 7 fps 😛 Though have only trial version NOW. I think there is something in the lightning. It is clearly the city that "jams" (it does not jam, it is just slow as hell) computer. (that does not happen in Caucasus, Nevada, Persian Gulf or Marianas Map I am having also). Havent found any setting that would stop that. OFC my fps gets lower in the cities etc happening a lot, but in Syria map it just makes me end the mission where in ohters my old pc gets lowest ot ~20-22 (yes I know it is low, but I can manage it. 🙂 Still there is clearly some "pinpoint" style "places" in syria map that makes my pc <profanity> in its pants. It would be even nicer if it just crashed, but no, it is just SLOW. (unplayable for me..)(some places=whole map)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...