So, how is gameplay (Solo vs Shared Pit Coop)?

twistking

So how is gameplay in regards to the mossie being a two-seater?

Do you have to do a lot of seat switching to properly fly it solo? Do you feel that you are missing out on real life capabilities of the mossie when solo flying? Is there anything planned in regards to an AI navigator similar to Jester AI or Petrovich AI?

Is there enough to do for the navigator to make a shared pit coop worth for both players? I assume shared cockpit makes only sense for those that are interested in accurate historic missions!?

Thanks.

Just like the other warbirds, the pilot does everything, the navigator only navigates. No seat switching required unless you want to do radio navigation things, but thats about it. 

But if you want somebody with you, he can also operate gear and fuel tank selector and those little things, but not much more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Just like the other warbirds, the pilot does everything, the navigator only navigates. No seat switching required unless you want to do radio navigation things, but thats about it. 

But if you want somebody with you, he can also operate gear and fuel tank selector and those little things, but not much more. 

I see. Thanks.

Would the Fighter Bomber Mosquitos always have a two man crew then in real life, or would it have been possible for them to be pilot only for shorter daylight sorties?

3 hours ago, twistking said:

I see. Thanks.

Would the Fighter Bomber Mosquitos always have a two man crew then in real life, or would it have been possible for them to be pilot only for shorter daylight sorties?

Switching to the navigator seat is not required, unless you need to mess with the radio equipment in the back. Still, the starboard seat has much better views to the right and back - I have the seat switching on one of my stick hats and quickly switch when I want to spot to the right and back.

Mosquitoes hardly flew short day sorties - the RAF had plenty of single engine/seat planes for that. Mosquitoes were tasked mostly to night missions, or to long range day missions that the singles could not do or a two men crew was an advantage (difficult navigation, a need of an observer/spotter, long rang HF radio operator).

• Thanks 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

In multi player the navigator mostly has to make his own entertainment. You can play about with the radios, aircraft lights and fuel system, and obviously navigate, but that's about it. If the server has radio beacons you can set up the DF indicator for the pilot to follow. Careful cooperation can result in dropping a ripple of bombs instead of a salvo.

• Thanks 1

DCS WWII player. I run the mission design team behind 4YA WWII, the most popular DCS World War 2 server.

https://www.ProjectOverlord.co.uk - for 4YA WW2 mission stats, mission information, historical research blogs and more.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, the navigator cannot even navigate on multiplayer servers only singleplayer or when hosting the mission. The cockpit is not synced between the pilot and navigator and the DF beacons do not work when a dedicated server puts down beacons to follow. So even local play wont work, unless everyone wants to follow the leader which is a single mosquito who is also the host

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JabbyJabara said:

Sadly, the navigator cannot even navigate on multiplayer servers only singleplayer or when hosting the mission. The cockpit is not synced between the pilot and navigator and the DF beacons do not work when a dedicated server puts down beacons to follow. So even local play wont work, unless everyone wants to follow the leader which is a single mosquito who is also the host

I am not sure what you mean about the DF. It works on MP servers just fine and I make extensive use of it when doing dead reconning navigation.

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

• 3 weeks later...

I only fly solo, but I can think of five points where a human navigator could be a major help, since as the pilot I am usually busy making sure not to hit trees or telephone poles, and if I take my eyes off the road to do other things I often find myself very close to a rapid, unscheduled deceleration.

1. Fuel management.

2. Spotting air threats.

3. Operating the bomb arming panel.

4. Engine fire extinguishers.

5. Navigation.

Items 1 through 4 require going heads down way too much/long for fast, low-level flight. At least for me personally. I have some of that stuff mapped but not all of it (running out of button space).

Item 5 is more of a sanity check thing, because I often mistake one landmark for another.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nealius, does operating the radios fall under Navigation?

Does anyone have a link to help me set up a LAN for the Mossie?  I intend to make two pits side by side each with its own PC.  

Edited by Iceman555

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

6 hours ago, Iceman555 said:

Does anyone have a link to help me set up a LAN for the Mossie?  I intend to make two pits side by side each with its own PC.  

Have had a look at the Warthog project on YouTube? 

You don't really need two computers, but big screens and a large pit. 😊 

The way the Mossie is, you might be better off this way, and just connect two keyboards and the all the controllers in the same computer. I'm thinking about making a side by side helipit. And I might go this way. 

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Have had a look at the Warthog project on YouTube? 

You don't really need two computers, but big screens and a large pit. 😊 

The way the Mossie is, you might be better off this way, and just connect two keyboards and the all the controllers in the same computer. I'm thinking about making a side by side helipit. And I might go this way. 

I have located the Warthog Project channel, can you steer me towards a particular video?  How can the pilot and navigator each have their own head tracking this way?  I want to make a mobile pit so it can be placed as a backseater for the up and coming RAZBAM F-15E, or the Apache, when Chuck's Guide comes out for it, and I manage to get a grip on what the CPG does.

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

1 hour ago, Iceman555 said:

I have located the Warthog Project channel, can you steer me towards a particular video?  How can the pilot and navigator each have their own head tracking this way?  I want to make a mobile pit so it can be placed as a backseater for the up and coming RAZBAM F-15E, or the Apache, when Chuck's Guide comes out for it, and I manage to get a grip on what the CPG does.

Ah, I see. Well, then it gets more complicated.
If you just wanted a Mossie pit, you could add multiple projectors, and "surround" you. And then you wouldn't need any head tracking.
Sure a lot of work though. Probably better in a helicopter.
For that kind of mobility, VR might be the thing. 😉

On 8/14/2022 at 10:38 PM, Iceman555 said:

Absolutely. If the map has active radio beacons, you can do some cool blind navigation using the DF ring above your head.

The way I use it is to put the R1155 in ‘visual’ mode, which activates the DF needles in the dial above the bombs arming panel. Put the sensitivity in R1155 to ‘high’ and dial in the frequency of the beacon. Now the DF needles will show you when you point at the beacon or when you have your tail pointed at the beacon - this is useful for “riding” a radial line to/from the beacon.

However, lets say that you don’t fly on a radial and the beacon is far off to your right/left. You can use the DF to tell you when you arrived at a certain position along your nav leg:

1. On F10 use the ruler to mark your leg. Note the heading.
  2. From the point of interest along your leg use the ruler again to find the heading to the beacon.
  3. Find the azimuth difference between the heading to the beacon from #2 to the nav leg heading #1.
  4. Now release the catch of the DF ring and rotate it by this many degrees to the side of the beacon relative to the flight path (if the beacon is to the port side, rotate that way), the notches on the base of the ring will show the angle.
  5. Now the DF needles show where is the beacon relative to the direction of the rotated DF ring - not the nose.
  6. You can now fly “dead reckoning” along your leg - when the DF needles converge on the center line it means you have reached your point of interest. For accuracy, check the needles only when you are pointed at the correct leg’s heading.

If the beacon is roughly 45-135 quarter off your nose you can get pretty nice accuracy this way. It is much more efficient than the audio DF method. I use it during low altitude dead reckoning to make sure I do not miss a turning point - significantly more accurate than relying on the clock alone (mobile phone chronometer analog style since we don’t have one in the plane…).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

• 1 month later...