Why I can not find targets anymore?

ebabil

I haven't played with viper for some time since I am spending my time with my helis recently.

Today I made a try with it in 4ya server. 

First I couldn't find any targets with my tgp flir. then I switched to TV mode and found all targets very easily. Then I handed off the targets to my boresighted mavs but image was very blurry and unrecognizable. I locked and fired a few meters off the targets.

I know there are some new things on flir side like hot and cold objects but.. don't know..

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Adjunsting the level and gain is needed, brightness and contrast helps a little to fine tune the image.

Sometimes, the TV is clearer than the FLIR because with FLIR the vehicles are completely invisible. I remember it happened to me the mission at night with bright a moon, 20ºC, with FLIR the targets were invisible but I could see them clear with TV.

This is true to reality, and the reason why Mavs come in both IR and TV versions. For moving targets, IR works really well, but if they don't move, they're not so great because a tank with the engine off has similar temperature to the rest of the environment. In the desert, IR will be even harder to use during the day, but TV is basically a monochromatic camera, so if you can see the tank, chances are the camera can, too. There should eventually be some accounting for vehicles heating up at different rates than the environment, and for having them start the mission heated up, but that will only help a little.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:05 PM, Ignition said:

Vehicles should not be invisible in IR. With 20ºC a vehicle should be hotter than the environment, even if it has the engine off.

This. Generally speaking. Metallic objects are hotter than the surrounding environment when baking in this sun.

Depends on the color more than on the material itself, and also on time of day. Metallic objects heat up fast and cool fast, while things like rock, sand and concrete take longer to heat up, but longer to cool. So, early in the day, the environment is cooler, but painted metal (unpainted and unrusted metal tends to be highly reflective, reducing heating) will warm up quickly in the sun. Later in the day, the environment will catch up, and soon after sunset (or after the moment a shadow creeps over the metal thing, another important factor), the metal will be cooler than the environment. Plus, of course, dark colors (like woodland camo) heat up far, far more quickly and to higher temperatures than bright ones (like bright yellow desert camo), but they cool at the same rate.

I hope ED implements these complexities somewhere down the road. The math itself isn't that hard, but making it so each object has appropriate temperature from mission start might require some work. This system is WIP, so it's hard to say what (if anything) will change in that regard.

• Thanks 1