GeForce RTX3080 10GB vs 12GB - Does it make any noticeable difference in DCS?

So sorry if this has been asked and answered already (which it probably has).. Does anyone here have any experience with both the 10GB and 12GB version of the RTX3080 in DCS?

Is there at all any noticeable improvement going from the 10GB to 12GB version (when playing in VR)? Does it justify the higher price?

Here in The Netherlands the 10GB cards availability starts at around €800,- and the 12GB version around €900,-

I kinda postponed upgrading my system (see my signature) because GPU prices were above what I wanted to spend and I was crossing my fingers for a DCS Vulkan miracle. But with my system starting to have a hard time keeping up with all DCS improvements and GPU prices dropping to the "acceptable" range, I wonder if I should upgrade my GPU (GTX1080ti) to a 3080 or wait for the 40xx series.. I can imagine that with my system, upgrading to a 3080 should be doable, while the upcoming 40xx series might also require a PSU (and maybe motherboard) upgrade? Any thoughts?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The 12GB has more shaders as well and a wider memory bus, so it gets somewhat better performance (it's roughly somewhere between a 10GB 3080 and a 3080Ti).

But, since you've waited this long, it's obviously better to wait a few months more for the 40XX series.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

44 minutes ago, Dudikoff said:

But, since you've waited this long, it's obviously better to wait a few months more for the 40XX series.

Yeah you're probably right there and I'm still not at the point yet to actually pull my wallet, but I wonder how much else on my system I'd have to upgrade when I go for the 40xx series. Obviously no one knows specifications on the 40xx yet, but I can imagine that at least my PSU and maybe even my motherboard and processor would need an upgrade to catch up with the 40xx speeds.. Then again, perhaps my 650W PSU already does require an upgrade to power a 3080 🤷‍♂️

Just thinking out loud here..

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

What's your PSU exactly? I don't see your signature for some reason.

If it's a good quality PSU and not too old, 650W could suffice since the projected TDP for 4080 is 420W. Still, we won't know for sure till closer to launch.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

2 minutes ago, Dudikoff said:

What's your PSU exactly? I don't see your signature for some reason.

If it's a good quality PSU and not too old, 650W could suffice since the projected TDP for 4080 is 420W. Still, we won't know for sure till closer to launch.

My system now:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz - 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU (Corsair RM650x)

System specs:

RM650x is a good unit, it can provide almost the entire stated wattage on 12V so no problems there spec wise.

But, with increased wattage, the power load transient spikes also increase which might trigger OCP protection on a PSU and trigger a shutdown.

I also have a similar problem where I'll try to run a 3080 with a Ryzen 5600X on some older model (but decent/good quality and still brand new) Corsair 550W PSU. I just recently put the system together, so didn't have time to run any demanding games for a longer period of time; it did run DCS for like 10-15 minutes, so I'm slightly optimistic (especially if I undervolt the card somewhat).

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine got shutdowns due to protection issue with his 3080 10GB on a good (Seasonic Focus GX) 650W PSU.

Although it must be said that these chips undervolt like crazy, I have mine at 850mV for total max power around 230W (instead of 350W), runs much cooler/quieter than normal and barely 5% performance gap compared to normal. I'm happy to take the tradeoff, especially since I could keep my 650W Focus GX. Seems nVidia increased TDP and accepted huge power spikes (over 400W for a 3080 and more) for a small performance gain, instead of going for the amazing performance/watt ratio that these chips are actually capable of if you simply spend 3min with MSI Afterburner.

As to 10 vs. 12GB, I'd still take the higher VRAM and performance for the 100€ price gap you have. The card will have a longer life and less risk of VRAM bottleneck. In VR I used to see issues with 10GB in DCS, but that was solved by moving from SteamVR to OpenXR. Still, an extra 2GB of VRAM could be useful to keep the card longer and not be limited.

Edited by Qiou87
  • Thanks 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

Thanks for the feedback guys! 👍

System specs:

1 hour ago, Qiou87 said:

A friend of mine got shutdowns due to protection issue with his 3080 10GB on a good (Seasonic Focus GX) 650W PSU.

I've seen Seasonic Focus GX mentioned specifically as an example of a PSU which will have issues with new Nvidia cards, so I guess something about their design makes them not a great choice for the new GPUs with more powerful transient spikes.

Supposedly, it's not only about transient spikes in this case, but also in how Seasonic PSUs in general handle noise sensing on the 12V line where they didn't expect such high noise as generated by Nvidia 30XX series. They tweaked this behavior in later production batches, but if you have a PSU from before the fix (which I guess came some time after 30XX series release), they might shutdown a lot due to this. It happened even on stronger PSU's (e.g. 850W) when the 30XX series came out.

Edited by Dudikoff

14 hours ago, sirrah said:

So sorry if this has been asked and answered already (which it probably has).. Does anyone here have any experience with both the 10GB and 12GB version of the RTX3080 in DCS?

Is there at all any noticeable improvement going from the 10GB to 12GB version (when playing in VR)? Does it justify the higher price?

Here in The Netherlands the 10GB cards availability starts at around €800,- and the 12GB version around €900,-

I kinda postponed upgrading my system (see my signature) because GPU prices were above what I wanted to spend and I was crossing my fingers for a DCS Vulkan miracle. But with my system starting to have a hard time keeping up with all DCS improvements and GPU prices dropping to the "acceptable" range, I wonder if I should upgrade my GPU (GTX1080ti) to a 3080 or wait for the 40xx series.. I can imagine that with my system, upgrading to a 3080 should be doable, while the upcoming 40xx series might also require a PSU (and maybe motherboard) upgrade? Any thoughts?

Yes, there's a difference you'll notice in your pocket.

Obsessed with FM's

9 hours ago, fapador said:

Yes, there's a difference you'll notice in your pocket.

Wow! You are hilarious 😮

I know about the price difference, that,'s why I stated it in my OP... I asked if performamce difference was noticeable.

System specs:

23 hours ago, sirrah said:

Good day 

Recently purchased the RTX 3060 mobile GPU.  Not the 3080...

Paired with the faster nvme m2 SSD and 16GB system Ram it works well. 

DCS caches about 50 GB to the SSD but with the latest SSD read and write speeds it runs DCS  smoothly. 

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

On 7/1/2022 at 9:20 AM, Dudikoff said:

The 12GB has more shaders as well and a wider memory bus, so it gets somewhat better performance (it's roughly somewhere between a 10GB 3080 and a 3080Ti).

Ditto.

If your concerns are on price and PSU wattage, then maybe wait for the RTX4070 and RTX4060 of Nvidia. 

Their "70" series of a generation always perform +/- same as the "80Ti" series of previous generation and consume far less power, and at lower price cost.
Their "60" series of a generation always perform close to the "80" series of previous generation and consume far less power, and at lower price cost.

The ubber ludicrous Wattage numbers of rumours for the RTX4000 series may be true in the end, but that is only expected for the very top performer models (4080Ti and 4090, for example), not expected on the mid/high tier models, such as the 4070 and 4060 models and their "Ti" derivatives. 

Mining took a big hit (hurray!) and it's not presumed for it to recover again. We may finally see enough stock and fairly decent prices on new releases, of both Nvidia and AMD (heh... fingers crossed). We'll see how it goes later this year.
There should also be plenty RTX3080 models available 2nd hand in the used market with hefty discounted price tags, when the new gen of GPUs comes out. 

So, wait and see, then decide.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

7 hours ago, LucShep said:

Ditto.

If your concerns are on price and PSU wattage, then maybe wait for the RTX4070 and RTX4060 of Nvidia. 

Their "70" series of a generation always perform +/- same as the "80Ti" series of previous generation and consume far less power, and at lower price cost.
Their "60" series of a generation always perform close to the "80" series of previous generation and consume far less power, and at lower price cost.

The ubber ludicrous Wattage numbers of rumours for the RTX4000 series may be true in the end, but that is only expected for the very top performer models (4080Ti and 4090, for example), not expected on the mid/high tier models, such as the 4070 and 4060 models and their "Ti" derivatives. 

Mining took a big hit (hurray!) and it's not presumed for it to recover again. We may finally see enough stock and fairly decent prices on new releases, of both Nvidia and AMD (heh... fingers crossed). We'll see how it goes later this year.
There should also be plenty RTX3080 models available 2nd hand in the used market with hefty discounted price tags, when the new gen of GPUs comes out. 

So, wait and see, then decide.

Waiting for the 40xx series has always been my initial plan, but lately my good old 1080ti seems to be struggling more and more with each new DCS module. Obviously I already run on reduced ingame gfx settings, but I seem to be getting at a point were I have to start reducing settings that come at the cost of cockpit readability.. and that is something I don't want to do.

But yes, you are right, I should be strong and wait for the 40xx series and see what that does in the market 😬

System specs:

I'm in the same spot myself. My beloved 1080ti is starting to feel its age and barely keeps with my reverb g2. I'm so tempted to go down the 3080 ti road, but it's a pity not to wait just a tad more until the 40xx series launches.

Luckily I've also recently be a dad of a beautiful 3 month old daughter that keeps me so busy right now, that I think I can perfectly wait some more months or even until 2023.

Heck, even if the 40xx series turns out to be not so good or insanely overpriced, at least I'm sure the 3080 ti price will drop significantly, making worth the wait.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

9 hours ago, sirrah said:

Waiting for the 40xx series has always been my initial plan, but lately my good old 1080ti seems to be struggling more and more with each new DCS module. Obviously I already run on reduced ingame gfx settings, but I seem to be getting at a point were I have to start reducing settings that come at the cost of cockpit readability.. and that is something I don't want to do.

But yes, you are right, I should be strong and wait for the 40xx series and see what that does in the market 😬

Yep, I get ya.
I leave you with my personal story dated months back, take it as is...

I was in a similar position as yours about 7 months ago, I was using an AMD RX5700XT (undervolted+overclocked), on a 4K screen monitor.
I was forcing myself to wait for the RTX4000 series, but couldn't any longer, as gaming experience with DCS was getting really bad, worse and worse with each new update. (IMHO, I still feel DCS2.7 was a mistake, ED should have stood with DCS 2.56)

So, I decided to get an "interim" GPU that could satisfy me for a year (+/-) without paying the stupid ridiculous prices seen at the time (and still today) for any of the high end models, which afterall will be discontinued later this year. 
I got myself then an RTX3060Ti at super nice price (same price I sold my RX5700XT!) and, after undervolting it (makes it cooler and slighty faster), in the end I got what in practice performs the same as an RTX3070 but for much lower cost.
The upgrade while fairly small in theory (~30% faster performance) was imediately felt - DCS now runs really good, so long as a few settings are moderated.
I'm happy nearly 7 months later, and will be using my RX3060Ti until I can get a new RTX4000 series upgrade that is worth the cost, and sell this RTX3060Ti on used market.

That's what I would recommend to anyone who is still on GTX1000 GPU and can't wait anymore, yet don't want to invest ridiculous money on a high end RTX3000 GPU. 

If you're using VR, then of course anything below an RTX3080 may struggle (...welcome to DCS!).
But, if not, if using a 2D screen (more so if it's 1440P), getting a new or used RTX3060Ti or RTX3070, or RTX2080Ti, are absolutely valid as interim solutions (but not only).

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

Yep,

same here, but I will wait till my 1080ti dies 😉   

For me current needs and 1440p it's still ok. If it was cheaper to replace I might would have already but my plan was to skip 2-3 GPU generations anyway. New card should have twice the ooomps than what it replaces for less money...maybe I have to wait for the 5th generation for this to happen.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

13 hours ago, BitMaster said:

maybe I have to wait for the 5th generation for this to happen.

That would certainly be a immense upgrade, if you can wait that long (stay strong mate! 💪)

For this "poor" VR soul, I'm afraid my 1080ti won't hold that long 😅

• Like 1

System specs:

That would certainly be a immense upgrade, if you can wait that long (stay strong mate! )
For this "poor" VR soul, I'm afraid my 1080ti won't hold that long 
Yes
Any mid range system can handle dcs on a conventional monitor.

VR is just too resource hungry in dcs and I cannot enjoy dcs in flat screen mode otherwise there is no need to chase those high end hardware.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Vram wise, in my experience games seem to settle on 8-10GB.

DCS in VR settles in at around 16GB, so I honestly don't think moving from a 10gb card to 12gb would matter much since 12GB is still 5GB short.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:12 AM, sirrah said:

Yeah you're probably right there and I'm still not at the point yet to actually pull my wallet, but I wonder how much else on my system I'd have to upgrade when I go for the 40xx series. Obviously no one knows specifications on the 40xx yet, but I can imagine that at least my PSU and maybe even my motherboard and processor would need an upgrade to catch up with the 40xx speeds.. Then again, perhaps my 650W PSU already does require an upgrade to power a 3080 🤷‍♂️

Just thinking out loud here..

I've got a 3080ti running off a 800W Power Supply, so far so good.

Sempre Fortis

On 7/11/2022 at 9:21 PM, Bob_Bushman said:

Vram wise, in my experience games seem to settle on 8-10GB.

DCS in VR settles in at around 16GB, so I honestly don't think moving from a 10gb card to 12gb would matter much since 12GB is still 5GB short.

I pulled the trigger on an RTX 3080 12GB OC this week (delivery expected today.)  Right now I can return it and pay an additional $500 to step up to an RTX 3090 Ti.

Considering I plan to go VR, should I bite the bullet on the 3090 (24GB)?  I do NOT want to spend the money for the extra fps alone, but I am a little concerned the 3080 doesn't have the horsepower to give me the kind of VR experience I want.

Not really, what we should do is convince ED to fix their bloody game so it properly releases allocated RAM as it should.

• Like 1

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.