DCS NAV (Android app)

pet333r

home.png

Want to be up to date, look here:

https://www.facebook.com/pw.developer

Description

Navigation system and radar map for DCS World

For working You need to download and install Lua export script for DCS World from here (detailed information on how to add a script to DCS World can be found on the same page)

https://github.com/pet333r/pw-dev_script

main functions:
- displaying your own position and data (metric / imperial)
- NS430 support
- displaying the radius of a circle around the user module
- displaying the position of other objects: airplanes, helicopters, ships
- SAM launcher position display
- displaying information about current missiles in the air
- displaying airports on the map with information 
- display of available ILS tracks with navigation information
- display beacons (TACAN, NDB, VOR etc)
- displaying different icons depending on the type of object
- displaying map boundaries
- displaying NTTR boundaries
- displaying the line between the user and the selected object along with the current distance
- display of additional information (A/A, A/G, Arm, landing gear, distance to selected object)
- radio altitude limit warning
- change of frequency of data reception from DCS World for individual objects
- ability to enable/disable displaying individual objects on the map
- option to add waypoints on the map (up to 5)
- change of map type
- display of GPS data in the following standards: DD / DMS / MGRS
- side menu with the ability to quickly change the display of objects on the map
- support for DCS Util app
- works with any module

DOWNLOAD:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pwdev.dcsnav

Video:

Pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Versions:

- added Android 14 support
- added data display in MGRS format
- NS430 support
- module data corrected
- changed icons in Settings
- little fixes

- added user machine icon change (plane/helicopter)
- added ability to change the type of data display (metric / imperial)
- added version checking of the script installed on the PC
- added information about not displaying some data depending on server settings
- added saving of map zoom settings and GPS data type
- added player callsign
- changed position of mission time display
- fixed the display of the frequency of objects on the map
- fixed the saving settings on the device
- fixed line removal between user and object during map change
- fixed display mission time
- fixed display on devices supporting "Right-to left" mode
- clearing the window the data of the last selected object
- changed information on setting the IP address
- added link to privacy policy

- changed default receive port
- added option to disable the display of enemy units
- added option to change the display type of GPS data (to change click on the displayed data)
- added option to add your own markers / waypoints on the map (up to 5)
- added line between the user's machine and the marked object on the map with displaying the current distance to that object
- added display of additional information (A/A, A/G, Arm, landing gear, distance to selected object)
- added speed brake open indicator (for some modules)
- fixed displaying of user direction on map
- fixed display of some data on different types of devices

Edited by pet333r
fix, edit gfx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I'm finding that the app crashes everytime, hit the radar map, it goes to the map and planes etc are there and it immediately goes back to the main screen states that latest map info has been downloaded and then it crashes. I have installed latest script, I use DCS UTIL and it works fine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

2 hours ago, Oilman100 said:

I'm finding that the app crashes everytime, hit the radar map, it goes to the map and planes etc are there and it immediately goes back to the main screen states that latest map info has been downloaded and then it crashes. I have installed latest script, I use DCS UTIL and it works fine

You also have an updated Config.lua file?
If you have the option to report a bug when it occurs, please do so, I will have more information on where to look for the cause of the behavior

12 hours ago, pet333r said:

You also have an updated Config.lua file?
If you have the option to report a bug when it occurs, please do so, I will have more information on where to look for the cause of the behavior

Yes I downloaded the latest script updater, the config looks fine, the details under device one match the tablet, the PC IP is correct within the app settings, it initially goes in and the live data is there, but within 2 secs it crashes out

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

10 hours ago, Oilman100 said:

Yes I downloaded the latest script updater, the config looks fine, the details under device one match the tablet, the PC IP is correct within the app settings, it initially goes in and the live data is there, but within 2 secs it crashes out

When you try to start DCS NAV make sure you don't have DCS UFC running in the background or it will crash. You have to CLOSE or EXIT the app, not just minimize it. The two can't be running at the same time.

PC Hardware: Asus Maximus XIII Hero / i9-10900K / 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE / Samsung 960 NVMe / LG OLED48CX / Reverb G2

Flight Controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / VKB T-RUDDER MKIV / Cougar MFD Set

DCS Modules: F-14 Tomcat / F/A-18C Hornet / AV-8B NA / F-5E Tiger II / A-10C Warthog / F-16C Viper / UH-1 Huey / LOFC3 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P-51D Mustang / WWII Assets Pack / Normandy 1944 / NTTR Map / Persian Gulf Map / Syria Map

8 minutes ago, bandit648 said:

When you try to start DCS NAV make sure you don't have DCS UFC running in the background or it will crash. You have to CLOSE or EXIT the app, not just minimize it. The two can't be running at the same time.

Yep already done that when I realised they use the same gateways, thx

I got the issue sorted with great support from the Developer, it ended to be quite simple as most things are. I downloaded and installed the latest script updater and installed and ran the updates. When checking the updated lua files the dates showed they had been updated, however when the developer looked at them the date was the only thing that changed. Downloading and installing the scripts manually worked and everything is up and running. This app is a great asset for multiplayer and works smoothly in real time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 11:14 PM, bandit648 said:

I am working on making both applications run on the same device at the same time and am well on my way to fixing this issue

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 8:42 PM, pet333r said:

I am working on making both applications run on the same device at the same time and am well on my way to fixing this issue

That would be great, I went and bought a 2nd Android device to run DCS NAV, that’s how useful I found it, great app, would be great to have an option to add enemy ground units as well, keep up the good work

On 7/27/2022 at 6:53 PM, Oilman100 said:

That would be great, I went and bought a 2nd Android device to run DCS NAV, that’s how useful I found it, great app, would be great to have an option to add enemy ground units as well, keep up the good work

It is possible that I will also add the option of displaying ground units, but more as an "experimental" option because these objects are often hundreds or even more during various missions, and for some devices (usually older and slower), such a number of objects on the map may be difficult to handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, it does not work although everything is done EXACTLY as in the video.

is the export corekt?

local pw=require('lfs');dofile(pw.writedir()..[[Scripts\pw-dev_script\ExportInit.lua]])
pcall(function() local pw=require('lfs');dofile(pw.writedir()..[[Scripts\pw-dev_script\ExportInit.lua]]); end,nil);
local TheWayLfs=require('lfs'); dofile(TheWayLfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TheWay.lua')
local DCSDTClfs=require('lfs'); dofile(DCSDTClfs.writedir()..'Scripts/DCSDTC.lua')
dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[Scripts\DCS-ExportScript\ExportScript.lua]])
local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewGameExport.lua')

pcall(function() local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]]); end,nil);

Edited by Hobel

New version 1.0.2022.11.11 avaible

- changed default receive port
- added the ability to disable the display of enemy units
- added the ability to change the display type of GPS data (to change click on the displayed data)
- added the ability to add your own markers / waypoints on the map (up to 5)
- added line between the user's machine and the marked object on the map with displaying the current distance to that object
- added display of additional information (A/A, A/G, Arm, landing gear, distance to selected object)
- added speed brake open indicator (for some modules)
- fixed displaying of user direction on map
- fixed display of some data on different types of devices

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2022 at 7:25 AM, Hobel said:

Unfortunately, it does not work although everything is done EXACTLY as in the video.

is the export corekt?

local pw=require('lfs');dofile(pw.writedir()..[[Scripts\pw-dev_script\ExportInit.lua]])
pcall(function() local pw=require('lfs');dofile(pw.writedir()..[[Scripts\pw-dev_script\ExportInit.lua]]); end,nil);
local TheWayLfs=require('lfs'); dofile(TheWayLfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TheWay.lua')
local DCSDTClfs=require('lfs'); dofile(DCSDTClfs.writedir()..'Scripts/DCSDTC.lua')
dofile(lfs.writedir()..[[Scripts\DCS-ExportScript\ExportScript.lua]])
local Tacviewlfs=require('lfs');dofile(Tacviewlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TacviewGameExport.lua')

pcall(function() local dcsSr=require('lfs');dofile(dcsSr.writedir()..[[Mods\Services\DCS-SRS\Scripts\DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone.lua]]); end,nil);

Same here works flawless if it is the only line in Export.lua. With me as soon as I add Tacview the DCS NAV stop recieveing data from PC. I removed TacView, but if someone got both working can you send a pic of your export.lua.

cheers, Dos

• 4 weeks later...

Mine constantly crashes too.. in a basic instant action/ freeflight it seems to work fine but any actual mission/ campaign/ MP server it runs fine for a couple of minutes then goes back to the mainscreen. I can go right back in for a couple minutes, then crashes. Used the newest updater from GitHub, all scripts are fine.. I have been using DCS’s-ufc for over a year now and it runs perfect ( still an issue with the f-16 profile skipping pages). But connection wise it never misses a beat, even with Helios and SRS running at the same time. The Nav app keeps disconnecting though. Export.lua has helios first, pwscript second, srs third, and voice attack 4th but commented out.

-edit- I spoke too soon, now dcs-ufc is crashing every couple minutes. I will reinstall, repair etc .all was working fine before installing the nav app.. not sure what is going on 

-edit- removed everything I could find related to the apps, dcs repair,  reinstalled and setup everything , same result. Works for a few minutes then crashes. 

Edited by MadKreator

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

this works fine on my phone.  My tablet is I guess just a little too old.  UFC works fine on the older tablet.  Is there a way to get this to run on Andriod Studio, Nox, Bluestacks etc... then I can just run it on my second screen?  It actually runs ok, just I can't get it to connect to the computer.  So the map just sits there... 

I'll keep looking for a newer OS for the tablet I don't want to get a new tablet just for this app.. I will have to replace it eventually I guess. 

thoughts?

Separate question.  Any way to have it zoom in to your AO on launch?  I have to manually zoom it every time, which is challenging at times mid-flight.  (it's on my tiny phone screen)

• 6 months later...

New version 1.0.2023.1014 avaible

- added user machine icon change (plane/helicopter)
- added ability to change the type of data display (metric / imperial)
- added version checking of the script installed on the PC
- added information about not displaying some data depending on server settings
- added saving of map zoom settings and GPS data type
- added player callsign
- changed position of mission time display
- fixed the display of the frequency of objects on the map
- fixed the saving settings on the device
- fixed line removal between user and object during map change
- fixed display mission time
- fixed display on devices supporting "Right-to left" mode
- clearing the window the data of the last selected object
- changed information on setting the IP address
- added link to privacy policy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi! Great app. 

But I have a little problem. I can't use it with every module. 

For example: Pucara, or Predator B.

Why?

During the same mission, if I use the Huey, or the A-4E, I have no troubles. When I change to pucara, the tablet stopped receiving data. (But I can use de F buttons, so it's emitting to the PC)

I don't know why. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the app. It works great for the Huey!

Is there an option to change the player icon from a plane to a helicopter?

There are different icons for other planes and helicopters on the map. This would make a big difference for Huey pilots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The only mode that appears for me is the radar mode and on that mode i cant get any planes or radar or helis or anything to show the only thing that shows is the runways when i load the map and the bullseyes nothing else will show android 12