VR hotswap

halufpv

As we all know, VR can be very finicky, unstable and requires a lot of tweaking. It's common to have something in the VR pipeline crash (headset, Oculus link, cable, oculus software, graphic driver, game itself) and it's also very common to want to tweak settings (headset frame rate or resolution, vrperfkit settings...)

I recently picked up MSFS2020 and the fact that you can ctrl-tab to switch in and out of VR, while seemingly a gimmick, fixed or greatly reduced all my VR pains:

- Need to tweak settings? Out of VR, change settings, back in. Feedback loop 10 seconds instead of a full game restart + mission load

- VR crash of any type? In and out and continue as if nothing happened

- Headset runs out of battery? Put it to fast charge for a bit while continuing in 2D

- Dog trips on VR cable and disconnects the headset? No problem!

This isn't even touching on the more obvious reasons:

- People who get sick VR after a while

- Switching to combined arms without needing to restart

- Switching out of VR for specific missions within a flight (to better see ground targets for instance)

All in all, while this seems like a minor nice to have, it's actually an indirect solution to so many problems. 

Edited by halufpv
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Hi, 

we have no plans for switching between VR and 2D currently. 

I will mention it to the team, but can not promise anything. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

9 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

we have no plans for switching between VR and 2D currently. 

I will mention it to the team, but can not promise anything. 

Thanks for the response. I'm surprised the team working on VR wouldn't want this even for their own testing/development process. I'm a software engineer myself and feedback loop time is so important! I'd love to hear their thoughts 

Edited by halufpv

• 2 weeks later...

Need something, for sure. Anytime there's any kind of hiccup in DCS, it's a full restart as your only option. Even just a way to reboot the VR portion, if your headset dcs or crashes for some reason, would go a long way. Literally ANYTHING requires a full restart as it is, and that's just unnecessary. If everybody else can do it, we should be able to, as well.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2