Head Movement Detach from Mouse??

socra823

I just got into DCS VR a few days ago. It is such a novel and amazing experience to be able to pilot the F/A-18C. However, there is one thing that I wouldn't say is ruining the experience for me, but the overall experience of interacting with the cockpit would just be made so much SIGNIFICANTLY better if it was a feature.... we need to be able to detach our head movement from the mouse in VR. In all the DCS menus this is the case - your mouse stays in the same spot no matter where you point your head, which makes clicking buttons second-nature. However, when your head movement is attached to the mouse, you have to stare directly at whatever you're pressing which is a very unnatural way of flicking switches and accomplishing tasks in VR and IRL.

It is very doable. Other sim games have it. I've seen many others talk about the same thing in other forums as well. Please ED make this happen!!! It would be such an awesome game-changer. I'm not asking for a full on switch from attached head movement to the mouse, but a simple toggle, as I have also seen that a few people prefer the experience when their head movement influences the pointer. But there are more than enough who prefer it the other way that it is more than justified to make this addition to the game. Pls pls pls!

1 minute ago, socra823 said:

I just got into DCS VR a few days ago. It is such a novel and amazing experience to be able to pilot the F/A-18C. However, there is one thing that I wouldn't say is ruining the experience for me, but the overall experience of interacting with the cockpit would just be made so much SIGNIFICANTLY better if it was a feature.... we need to be able to detach our head movement from the mouse in VR. In all the DCS menus this is the case - your mouse stays in the same spot no matter where you point your head, which makes clicking buttons second-nature. However, when your head movement is attached to the mouse, you have to stare directly at whatever you're pressing which is a very unnatural way of flicking switches and accomplishing tasks in VR and IRL.

It is very doable. Other sim games have it. I've seen many others talk about the same thing in other forums as well. Please ED make this happen!!! It would be such an awesome game-changer. I'm not asking for a full on switch from attached head movement to the mouse, but a simple toggle, as I have also seen that a few people prefer the experience when their head movement influences the pointer. But there are more than enough who prefer it the other way that it is more than justified to make this addition to the game. Pls pls pls!

It is very doable. It's an option in the VR tab. 

4 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

It is very doable. It's an option in the VR tab. 

I really hope I haven't missed a blatantly obvious switch in the VR tab.... could you pls advise me as to what it is? I'm pretty sure it isn't there but I would really love to be wrong.

Again just to re-emphasize that what I'm looking for is a way to detach head movement from the mouse in the cockpit -- not to disable or enable the use of the mouse.

6 minutes ago, socra823 said:

I really hope I haven't missed a blatantly obvious switch in the VR tab.... could you pls advise me as to what it is? I'm pretty sure it isn't there but I would really love to be wrong.

Again just to re-emphasize that what I'm looking for is a way to detach head movement from the mouse in the cockpit -- not to disable or enable the use of the mouse.

I can't remember exactly but I play in VR and do not have the mouse locked to head movements. I have seen others that do (they even rebind the mouse buttons to a hotas). I personally wouldn't like it. The cursor is mostly free to move anywhere, however on extreme head movements it does drag it to the general area but can go anywhere that is on the 2D screen/mirror. I think DCS has the best VR mouse implementation I have used. Something about xplane and MSFS that just isn't as nice. 

Might be "confine cursor to window"?

Edited by Hoirtel

7 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

I can't remember exactly but I play in VR and do not have the mouse locked to head movements. I have seen others that do (they even rebind the mouse buttons to a hotas). I personally wouldn't like it. The cursor is mostly free to move anywhere, however on extreme head movements it does drag it to the general area but can go anywhere that is on the 2D screen/mirror. I think DCS has the best VR mouse implementation I have used. Something about xplane and MSFS that just isn't as nice. 

Might be "confine cursor to window"?

Hmmm interesting. I would think "confine cursor to window" only impacts if you can move the mouse out of your FOV or not. But you're saying that in a cockpit the mouse isn't influenced at all by your head movements? In my case, the mouse pointer will move wherever I move the mouse, but whenever I move my head it moves the mouse as well. I'm trying to fully detach my head movement from the mouse so that it doesn't move it at all.

What you are asking @socra823 is something that doesn't exist currently but has been requested number of times. No luck so far, but making new post about this every now and then at least shows that there is an interest for such thing and hopefully will make it on EDs radar eventually

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, socra823 said:

Hmmm interesting. I would think "confine cursor to window" only impacts if you can move the mouse out of your FOV or not. But you're saying that in a cockpit the mouse isn't influenced at all by your head movements? In my case, the mouse pointer will move wherever I move the mouse, but whenever I move my head it moves the mouse as well. I'm trying to fully detach my head movement from the mouse so that it doesn't move it at all.

Ok sounds like we do have the same thing set, I thought you had the mouse cursor locked to the centre of your view. You must mean about dragging the mouse slightly off when moving you head, Yeah, I suppose that can be an issue. Possibly just takes a little time to get used to. I really like being able to manage the mouse with both and i don't find it a problem. Complete detachment isn't really possible as the mouse is still really a 2D entity and has to be on the screen so when you move you head and change what is displaying on the screens the mouse has to match. Other options are lock it completely or use the VR controllers. Neither of those I like. Good luck.

22 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Ok sounds like we do have the same thing set, I thought you had the mouse cursor locked to the centre of your view. You must mean about dragging the mouse slightly off when moving you head, Yeah, I suppose that can be an issue. Possibly just takes a little time to get used to. I really like being able to manage the mouse with both and i don't find it a problem. Complete detachment isn't really possible as the mouse is still really a 2D entity and has to be on the screen so when you move you head and change what is displaying on the screens the mouse has to match. Other options are lock it completely or use the VR controllers. Neither of those I like. Good luck.

I don't think that would be an issue if the mouse was fully detached. I feel like there would be numerous ways of re-centering the mouse or finding it after you use it while looking somewhere else.

30 minutes ago, Vakarian said:

What you are asking @socra823 is something that doesn't exist currently but has been requested number of times. No luck so far, but making new post about this every now and then at least shows that there is an interest for such thing and hopefully will make it on EDs radar eventually

I really hope so. I do see it a lot already on this forum so I should honestly just spam it once or twice a month so a dev eventually notices.

Presume you are you looking to have the cusor be stationary relative to the cockpit and move only when you move the physical mosue.

I have "Use VR Mouse" enabled which binds the mouse to the relative headset movement, I can still move the physical mouse independantly of my head to click on OSB buttons for example, or I can leave the mouse cursor centred in the view and then move it around with my head activating with mouse controls on the hotas or I can just reach out and press the buttons with my fingers using leap motion.

The cursor auto hides after a couple of seconds of no mouse movement and will then be positionally slaved to the headset until you move the mouse again, click a mouse button to show the cursor again and click away.  The majority of my cockpit interations are with leap motion or head slaved mouse clicks, I think the only time I really use the mouse is for menus.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

42 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Presume you are you looking to have the cusor be stationary relative to the cockpit and move only when you move the physical mosue.

I have "Use VR Mouse" enabled which binds the mouse to the relative headset movement, I can still move the physical mouse independantly of my head to click on OSB buttons for example, or I can leave the mouse cursor centred in the view and then move it around with my head activating with mouse controls on the hotas or I can just reach out and press the buttons with my fingers using leap motion.

The cursor auto hides after a couple of seconds of no mouse movement and will then be positionally slaved to the headset until you move the mouse again, click a mouse button to show the cursor again and click away.  The majority of my cockpit interations are with leap motion or head slaved mouse clicks, I think the only time I really use the mouse is for menus.

Correct I am looking to have the cursor be completely stationary relative to the cockpit and only move when I actually move the mouse, not my head.

• Like 1

Yeah I think you're stuck with it stabilising on the position within the headset view I'm afraid.

I find that if I leave it nominally centered in the headset then if I do want to use the mouse then you only have to look in the vague direction and do the last little bit of cursor movement with the physical mouse. Just takes a bit of muscle memory to remember to put it back in the nominal middle of view again.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.