AIM-7 missile catapult mechanics

GumidekCZ

nullimage.png

The LAU-116/A guided missile launcher is a reusable launcher of the F/A-18 aircraft suspension and launching system for the AIM-7 Sparrow missile. The launchers are mounted internally in the fuselage structure. They are self-contained, gas-operated mechanisms, capable of suspending and ejecting the AIM-7 Sparrow missile. Ejection force is supplied by two CCU-45 impulse cartridges ignited by an electrical impulse applied by the missile firing switch. The rapidly expanding gases actuate the ejector pistons and release the missile from the launcher. Power is applied to the missile guidance control system through the umbilical plug. An actuator-operated safety device prevents inadvertent firing of launcher cartridges.

Very simillar ejection launcher is on F-15C.

In DCS AIM-7 released from LAU-116/A at 20°AOA in ACM combat against MiG-29 => Resulted in miss, of course (green vector = actual flight direction):
AIM-7_FA-18_LAU-116.png
The missile should be just pushed by force away from fuselage and in very quick succesion ignite its rocket motor. All this with its nose pointing at the same direction as it was mounted on fuselage.

Same moment from different angle:
AIM-7_FA-18_LAU-116_back.png

Same action with F-15C:
AIM-7_F-15_LAU-116.png

Real Life fuselage ejected AIM-7:
F-15C___AIM-7.jpg
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraft/McDonnell-F15Eagle/IMAGES/McDonnell-Douglas-F15-Eagle-Missile-Launch.jpg

image.png

• Like 2

I noticed when trying to replicate real world Sparrow tests that low altitude AIM-7's would crash into the ground, I suppose this is why.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

6 hours ago, GumidekCZ said:

nullimage.png

The LAU-116/A guided missile launcher is a reusable launcher of the F/A-18 aircraft suspension and launching system for the AIM-7 Sparrow missile. The launchers are mounted internally in the fuselage structure. They are self-contained, gas-operated mechanisms, capable of suspending and ejecting the AIM-7 Sparrow missile. Ejection force is supplied by two CCU-45 impulse cartridges ignited by an electrical impulse applied by the missile firing switch. The rapidly expanding gases actuate the ejector pistons and release the missile from the launcher. Power is applied to the missile guidance control system through the umbilical plug. An actuator-operated safety device prevents inadvertent firing of launcher cartridges.

Very simillar ejection launcher is on F-15C.

In DCS AIM-7 released from LAU-116/A at 20°AOA in ACM combat against MiG-29 => Resulted in miss, of course (green vector = actual flight direction):
AIM-7_FA-18_LAU-116.png
The missile should be just pushed by force away from fuselage and in very quick succesion ignite its rocket motor. All this with its nose pointing at the same direction as it was mounted on fuselage.

Same moment from different angle:
AIM-7_FA-18_LAU-116_back.png

Same action with F-15C:
AIM-7_F-15_LAU-116.png

Real Life fuselage ejected AIM-7:
F-15C___AIM-7.jpg
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/aircraft/McDonnell-F15Eagle/IMAGES/McDonnell-Douglas-F15-Eagle-Missile-Launch.jpg

image.png

What happens if you don't pull Gs?

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

8 minutes ago, Cmptohocah said:

What happens if you don't pull Gs?

More or less the same thing. The real world testing I mentioned was level release, 1 g, at 300 ft. I had to fly up to 1000 ft to keep the Sparrow from crashing.

Granted the test plane was a F-4 in real life, not a F-15 which I used in DCS, but I would expect a similar launch envelope between the two.

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

1 hour ago, Exorcet said:

More or less the same thing. The real world testing I mentioned was level release, 1 g, at 300 ft. I had to fly up to 1000 ft to keep the Sparrow from crashing.

Granted the test plane was a F-4 in real life, not a F-15 which I used in DCS, but I would expect a similar launch envelope between the two.

Yeah this is what English bias commands are for, from the AIM-7E autopilot diagram I have the english bias commands are applied at the moment of wing unlock which occurs even before seeker lock on.  It seems like that's not happening here super odd.  Almost as if their reversed???

Edited by nighthawk2174

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NineLine said:

I can see your point here, but not sure there is enough to take to the team right now. I would need a good video of one from an F-15 or F/A-18 or other documentation. 

I don't have anything currently for the F-15/18, but the F-4 test I mentioned is here (18:36):

EDIT

Here are some Eagle launches, very little separation between missile and plane:

Some DCS footage for comparison:

Edited by Exorcet
  • Like 1

• NineLine changed the title to AIM-7 missile catapult mechanics
  • NineLine locked this topic