M2 GRCV not working ?

Hi guys !

I tried the Mission 2 and I think the Guard Recieve option for the radios is not working.

I missed the first distress call and been able to continue after I switch to the G channel.

Is that a trigger problem or is the GRCV option not working in the Hornet ?

Thx

As I said,

I wasn't receiving the chatter on the guard until I effectively switched to the G channel, which is already set to 243.00.

But if I understand correctly the Hornet, I should be hearing the guard on any channel if the option GRCV is ticked.

It is a common option in fighter jets to be able to monitor the guard at all time (but you can't respond until you actually switch to the guard)

My question is :

Is it a trigger related behaviour or is the GRCV not working in the Hornet ?

For me it was working: I just turned GRCV option on UFC for PRI radio on take-off and got distress call after departure. I didn't switch to G channel (as I didn't see notification to switch or maybe I missed it somehow) and stayed on the same frequency I was before on PRI (I don't recall if I stayed on TOWER or switched to DEPARTURE at this moment) and also was on STRIKE on AUX radio. But I had to reply to distress call via F10 menu option.

Edited by lester
  • Thanks 1

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

I'm on Open Beta 2.7.15.26783

• Thanks 1

I just completed the mission last night, with the right radio on channel 1 and GRCV enabled I was able to listen to guard without issues.

Had to switch radio 1 to G to transmit though as expected.

Edited by FoxTwo
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FoxTwo said:

I just completed the mission last night, with the right radio on channel 1 and GRCV enabled I was able to listen to guard without issues.

Had to switch radio 1 to G to transmit though as expected.

May I ask whether you saw text notification to switch to G on PRI?

5 minutes ago, lester said:

May I ask whether you saw text notification to switch to G on PRI?

During the first minutes it tells you that you can switch to G or dial 243.00 on M.

I switched naturally on G when I saw the text saying ''respond to the distress call'', even if I did not hear that first call.

I'm almost sure GRCV was ticked on PRI since it is part of my Hornet startup routine for a while.

That is why I asked if that option was implemented in the Hornet.

Some seems to have the same problem as me, some don't.

During the first minutes it tells you that you can switch to G or dial 243.00 on M.

Oh, I probably switched to 243.00 on PRI then.

I'm almost sure GRCV was ticked on PRI since it is part of my Hornet startup routine for a while.

Maybe it's a trigger that didn't work for some reason... I think I was climbing to WP1 when I got distress call or even already climbed to the directed altitude 20k feet.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lester said:

Oh, I probably switched to 243.00 on PRI then.

Maybe it's a trigger that didn't work for some reason... I think I was climbing to WP1 when I got distress call or even already climbed to the directed altitude 20k feet.

Maybe ... I think I was climbing up to 20k but I can't remember if I had just turn on the vector given by the tower or already following Mother's TAC.

I think I used the preset channel on PRI. Worked fine. 

By the way, the mission is extremly boaring. Silly Claire ! How can I find you, if you can't  use a GPS ? My radar won't catch your nutshell, only the big boats. So after scaning the big big  sea with my own eyes for a very long time, I just got tired of this and ended it all. I'll skip the mission. Sorry Claire.

37 minutes ago, Falken2 said:

I think I used the preset channel on PRI. Worked fine. 

By the way, the mission is extremly boaring. Silly Claire ! How can I find you, if you can't  use a GPS ? My radar won't catch your nutshell, only the big boats. So after scaning the big big  sea with my own eyes for a very long time, I just got tired of this and ended it all. I'll skip the mission. Sorry Claire.

I found it interesting by being unusual.

And I can confirm you can pick the boat on the radar and use the FLIR.

But you have first to analyse the trajectory, calculate the time the boat traveled and assume a speed ; then take into account the drift under the storm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 84-Simba said:

I found it interesting by being unusual.

And I can confirm you can pick the boat on the radar and use the FLIR.

But you have first to analyse the trajectory, calculate the time the boat traveled and assume a speed ; then take into account the drift under the storm.

Yes I remembered the BRC for carrier recovery was 211, so I thought the wind was blowing from that direction, right? So the boat must have been drifting north northeast. But of the hell can I estimate a distance? 

29 minutes ago, Falken2 said:

Yes I remembered the BRC for carrier recovery was 211, so I thought the wind was blowing from that direction, right? So the boat must have been drifting north northeast. But of the hell can I estimate a distance? 

SPOILER !!!!

The boat is a yacht and said to be stranded so the wind is no factor.

What I did is estimate an almost direct trajectory from the port of departure to Haïfa, assumed a speed of 20kts between 16h30 (hour of depart) and 20h (time Claire said the boat stopped).

That way I determined a rough point and then search west from that point.

I picked it up quite easily with the radar in SEA mode and the FLIR.

I agree that from there you just turn around above the boat and enjoy the fantastic voicings but that is something very unusual in DCS 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 84-Simba said:

SPOILER !!!!

The boat is a yacht and said to be stranded so the wind is no factor.

What I did is estimate an almost direct trajectory from the port of departure to Haïfa, assumed a speed of 20kts between 16h30 (hour of depart) and 20h (time Claire said the boat stopped).

That way I determined a rough point and then search west from that point.

I picked it up quite easily with the radar in SEA mode and the FLIR.

I agree that from there you just turn around above the boat and enjoy the fantastic voicings but that is something very unusual in DCS 🙂

Thanks! That's smart. English is not my native language, I hadn't understand the boat was stranded. 

• Like 1

In my case I just used radar in SEA mode and filtered out hits having speed more than 5 knots. Found the yacht relatively easy (its speed was 0 knots iirc so it corresponds to the "stranded" state pretty well) and confirmed visually with ATFLIR.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:28 PM, 84-Simba said:

Is that a trigger problem or is the GRCV option not working in the Hornet ?

In testing, I always used GRCV on PRI and if I recall correctly, it always worked; there may have been one test-run where I had the same problem you described, I'm not sure any more.

I'm pretty sure it's not a global problem in the Hornet, but I haven't tried in the latest OB. All I can say, it should work. 😉

Edited by Yurgon