Question about Harpoon.

Hello,

As we have some argument about it with colleagues, I'd like to ask if there is version of Harpoon missile, that can recognize the ship type by it's radar emission, or can be set to engage specific ship based on it's radar type?

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:26 PM, Amarok_73 said:

Hello,

As we have some argument about it with colleagues, I'd like to ask if there is version of Harpoon missile, that can recognize the ship type by it's radar emission, or can be set to engage specific ship based on it's radar type?

AFAIK, the harpoon is pretty indiscriminate in its target selection, certainly in DCS World. Skill is getting the weapon to the ballpark area and making sure nothing else is nearby that might attract its onboard radar. So, in short, I don't believe it can tell the difference between different vessels per se.

• Like 1

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Thank You Gentlemen for Your input, and confirmation of my knowledge.

In meanwhile I've asked my firend who was serving as XO on OHP, and he informed me, that indeed, Harpoons are not so selective and have no ARM capability, however they are capable to perform HOJ if the target is actively jamming with ECM.

Edited by Amarok_73
  • Like 3

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried a couple of times to learn the Harpoon. The multitude of steps required and the fact that you can't be sure it will hit what you want it to hit keeps me from flying missions that use it. I am probably missing something but basically the huge effort in design and use of super accurate ground target weapons make me wonder why the Harpoon even exists.

28 minutes ago, CBStu said:

I have tried a couple of times to learn the Harpoon. The multitude of steps required and the fact that you can't be sure it will hit what you want it to hit keeps me from flying missions that use it. I am probably missing something but basically the huge effort in design and use of super accurate ground target weapons make me wonder why the Harpoon even exists.

Just use AG radar in sea mode to get the range and bearing of the target and feed the Harpoon with that info.

And in the early 1970s there was no super accurate AG weapon and certainly none of that range. That's why Harpoon was developed.

Even in DCS there are not many of those.

It's certainly a "ripple and pray" kind of weapon. ASMs of that time were all like this or even worse, since they needed to have range way beyond visual. In fact, when you think about it, identifying the target you're shooting at is probably the biggest difficulty in making any sort of long range weapon. You either use GPS coordinates (and forgo hitting moving targets), MITL (difficult both to implement and to employ), or lock on with the radar and hope it goes after the right target.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:26 PM, Amarok_73 said:

Hello,

Not aware of any variant with passive radar homing. Closest thing to it is a home-on-jam function

EDIT: Should've read more than the first post.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.