Performance only tanks when spawning in. Spectator-only, performance is "normal"

XCNuse

Okay not sure why the forum deleted my text and filled it with images instead....

Dear Razbam... Not sure whose idea it was to put in thousands if not hundreds of thousands of polygons of fake grass; but DCS already has grass, and this is a seriously unnecessary draw calls nobody asked for, and isn't used on other maps.... and the only way to make it visible, is to actually REMOVE the grass in DCS.

DUMB!

Meanwhile, there seems to be some major issue relating to spawning in an aircraft. The performance on map is absolutely normal, 70-80FPS in these screenshots prior to spawning in.

Then if you look at the screenshot that shows my FPS down to 20!... TWENTY!  That's after spawning into the Viper. Something is causing insane performance drops when spawning in and on ground; an issue... no other map has by comparison. Not entirely sure what the relation is.

But the faux grass... is unnecessary and pointless.

Screen_220701_221457.jpg

Screen_220701_220944.jpg

Screen_220701_220958.jpg

Screen_220701_221505.jpg

Edited by XCNuse
it deleted my text?
  • Like 1

Personally I gained 10 fps by disabling DCS grass on SA? but I still have a big drop in fps when I land or when I drive on the SA tracks, problem that I did not have when launching South Atlantique, problem appeared in the last OB update

I also have a low FPS on the ground but as I take off everything goes normal again. Looks like the reason for that is a lot of small, good modeled but useless objects (like the grass mentioned by the OP) that are causing huge FPS drops on the ground even on very powerful systems.

Edited by Jagdgeschwader

Viggen GIF 2.gif

"If we don't end war, war will end us."  

H. G. Wells

Experience on the ground I would argue is as important as the experience in the air. We start on the ground, we end on the ground, thus I would hardly call grass, plants etc "pointless"

If we're flying a helo, we may never get that far from the ground at all. The fact is that it's a "the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" equation. All of the small details add to the immersion factor, even if one detail by itself might seem insignificant.

• Like 3

On 7/4/2022 at 7:28 PM, Gambit21 said:

thus I would hardly call grass, plants etc "pointless"

Except the fact that literally none of it is visible... when you have grass enabled in DCS.

THAT is what makes it pointless.

Review my images in OP if you're telling me you can totally see the purpose of the weeded grass and small rocks in both angles of images shared; that is why these images were shared and mentioned as "pointless"

Edited by XCNuse

On 7/5/2022 at 1:28 AM, Gambit21 said:

Experience on the ground I would argue is as important as the experience in the air. We start on the ground, we end on the ground, thus I would hardly call grass, plants etc "pointless"

If we're flying a helo, we may never get that far from the ground at all. The fact is that it's a "the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" equation. All of the small details add to the immersion factor, even if one detail by itself might seem insignificant.

Yep, here is my FPS problem here because I fly on helicopters mostly.

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro