Hornet manual waypoint elevation bug?

ruprecht

Problem: waypoint elevations manually entered in feet are reduced by a factor of ~3 each time the waypoint is undesignated and redesignated. It appears to be erroneously converting between feet and meters.

Steps to reproduce:

• Hornet with latest open beta, multiplayer on caucasus, with ATFLIR on standby
  • while airborne, enter a precision MGRS waypoint on an empty waypoint with elevation in feet
  • WP the waypoint in HSI. Check HSI Data - the elevation remains as entered, displayed in feet
  • Undesignate the waypoint with the HOTAS, and redesignate with WPDESG
  • Note that the elevation is still displayed in feet, but is now about 1/3 of the entered elevation (it appears to have been converted to meters but displayed in feet)
  • repeat and note that the elevation is divided by ~3 each time it is undesignated and redesignated
  • Try process again with elevation entered in meters, note that the elevation is displayed in meters and does not get divided each time the waypoint is un/redesignated

Sorry I don't have a track, but I'm curious if anyone else can reproduce, thanks.  

*edit* track attached. Each redesignation divides the elevation by 
* 1000ft > 304ft (3.289)
* 304ft > 92 ft (3.304)
* 92ft > 28ft (3.285)
etc. 

Given a meter is 3.28 feet, this seems pretty clearly a bug. It seems to have been introduced sometime since the Apache release, as I haven't flown the Hornet since then, and it was working fine before the Apache.

ElevationBug.trk

ElevationBug2.trk

Edited by ruprecht
attached track

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

looks similar to the issue I reported in the JSOW bug, related of designating/undesignating... 

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

Yep, I see the bug now. It can be reproduced on any waypoint already in your NAV database. 

Select waypoint (doesn't matter if WPT and/or 'SEQ' are 'boxed')

Go to HSI-DATA  and change waypoint's ELEV from meters to feet.

Back to HSI page.  Press WPDSG. Everything looks good there.  Confirm your target desig. on FLIR.

Now, go to DATA again.  The designated waypoint numerical value is in meters now but... FT is displayed next to it now.  FLIR still shows correct target.  

If you undesignate and designate again,  that's when the trouble starts...

Every re-designation, converts the elevation again, so... for now might as well stay in meters.

I'm glad it's not just me or a PEBKAC error. So.... ED?

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

got a chance to test it again, and indeed, the bug present itself each time you edit a WP elevation in FT and then designate/undesignate that WP for weapon useage (in this case a JSOW).

It seems to divide the altitude by 3 each time, just like if it was a conversion feet to meters.

Also, when you have a WP set with an elevation in feet, upon designation, it shows in the "mission" sub page of the JSOW/JDAM but converted as meters.  It should indicate feet there as well IIRC. If the WP elev is in feet, it feed the mission page in feet and if in Meters, it feeds it in meters. But now, it looks like any WP, with it's elev either in Ft or M, when designated, will be converted in meters in the JSOW mission sub page and if you send over an altitude in feet, it divides it by 3 to convert in meters....

Work around is to work in Meters only but still, annoying bug lol

tgt.deg.alti.bug.trk

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

5 hours ago, VIXEN413 said:

Work around is to work in Meters only but still, annoying bug lol

Thanks for reproducing. Given the map shows elevation in feet of ground targets, dividing by 3.28084 in a VR headset is not my idea of a good time so I hope they fix this soon.

Streaming DCS sometimes: