RWS vs. TWS BVR engagement - need help understanding how the radar works

NightstalkerNOR

Hello. I just got back into the hornet and have encountered a real challenge when in BVR engagements. 

A head on, no threat scenario is all and well, but I am struggling to perform BVR tactics like cranking when being engaged by a serious threat without loosing my contacts when maneuvering. I figured out there is a spotlight function which follows the TDC, but it seems rather unintuitive to have to first select the target, and then activate the spotlight function as well as adjusting elevation if the target starts to maneuver as well.

So, how do you most effectively work the radar in BVR, in both RWS and TWS modes?

Thanks for any inputs!

I use TWS mostly, with "AUTO" mode, then it trying illuminate target by changing both elevation and azimuth of the radar.

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

I second TWS Auto in the Hornet. It will center on the target you're tracking making things a lot easier. In general the F-18's controls are sometimes lacking and a bit unintuitive in my opinion. If I'm not using TWS I'll just STT on the biggest threat.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

TWS-Auto is a real good option, but if you lost the track during maneuvering, e.g. turning cold, don't forget to cycle it to manual and back to auto before recommitting. Otherwise it is not possible to change antenna elevation, at least that is my experience.

28 minutes ago, Cepheus76 said:

TWS-Auto is a real good option, but if you lost the track during maneuvering, e.g. turning cold, don't forget to cycle it to manual and back to auto before recommitting. Otherwise it is not possible to change antenna elevation, at least that is my experience.

It's possible change an antenna elevation with TDC depress on the area where you anticipate a target would be. I have found it is more convenient rather than cycling mode. What bugs me most, that TWS-Auto is not default option, thus when cycling TWS and RWS it is ease to forget to toggle it.

Верните короновирус в качестве главной проблемы, спать в маске буду, обещаю.

Скрытый текст

Hardware: AMD 5900x, 64Gb RAM@3200MHz, NVidia RTX3070 8Gb, Monitor 3440x1440(21:9), Samsung 980pro 1Tb NVMe SSD, VKB Gunfighter+MCGU, Virpil Throttle CM3, VKB T-Rudder, TrackIR.

When I started with the Hornet, I started with RWS (partly b/c TWS wasn't yet available).

To get a basic understanding of the Radar, I played with this little tool for awhile:   https://tawdcs.org/radar-f15/

Lately, I've made the switch to TWS, and one YT video that I found extremely helpful was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFxqqIzdEuQ

It can be a little "work intensive" initially, but I've had excellent results with that approach.  In the Hornet, it seems like there's almost as much "Art" as "Science" to getting the most out of its radar, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy, and effective.  It will take a little bit of time futzing around with it initially.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

4   ~S!~

PS> The setup I use isn't exactly the same as his, but it's fairly close to it, and it definitely follows the principles he talks about in that video.

Edited by FourSpeed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackfyre said:

It's possible change an antenna elevation with TDC depress on the area where you anticipate a target would be. I have found it is more convenient rather than cycling mode. What bugs me most, that TWS-Auto is not default option, thus when cycling TWS and RWS it is ease to forget to toggle it.

Thanks a million for that hint, I didn't know that. Will test it right away. 

True, it is a bit of a bummer that the Auto mode isn't used by default. For myself I accepted the necessity to adhere to a fairly rigid workflow/ instrument scan when setting up my TWS to reduce the likelihood of forgetting to switch modes.