Anything but the brightness knob to disable the HMD?

Laurreth
Go to solution Solved by razo+r,

Last night I was doing a sightseeing tour of about an hour with a friend; maybe 20 minutes in, the HMD vanished and I couldn't get it back to work. Tried turning brightness to zero to turn it off, waited, turned it back on, attempted the BIT which passed without showing the test patterns at maximum brightness, disabled hiding it when looking straight ahead.

Is there something that I could (accidentally) have done that would hide the HMD?

Have a thanks, I distinctly remember pressing that button, didn't remember what it did yesterday 🙄

The manual says that the Recce button on the stick only blanks the HMD (which probably isn't correctly representing the real plane at all); has that changed in the meanwhile, or would it be "safe" to map that button somewhere else for now? I'm using a rotary encoder for HMD brightness anyway, might as well map Recce to the push function of that to make it a bit more intuitive.

Edited by Laurreth

2 hours ago, Laurreth said:

would it be "safe" to map that button somewhere else for now?

The RECCE event mark switch is used to create "bookmarks" on the flight tapes, or to operate a reconnaissance equipment on certain aircraft. Doubt we'll ever see either function implemented in DCS, so mapping it is a waste of a joystick's button.

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

The RECCE event mark switch is used to create "bookmarks" on the flight tapes, or to operate a reconnaissance equipment on certain aircraft. Doubt we'll ever see either function implemented in DCS, so mapping it is a waste of a joystick's button.
Used it. For our Hornet, it should do what it does in DCS. Blank the HMD when the TDC is not on the SA page and command EXP when it is.
  • Thanks 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, Harker said:

Used it. For our Hornet, it should do what it does in DCS. Blank the HMD when the TDC is not on the SA page and command EXP when it is.

And make sure you take note of the highlighted bit from Harkers post or it will drive you insane trying to figure why the RECCE switch isn't working (not that I have ever had this issue personally 🤨🤣)

Edited by rob10