Impressive AI changes!

b0bl00i

After asking for a more improved AI for over a decade, I have to say I'm impressed. The only thing I'm lacking is a description from ED what has changed (bvr has been described) but not BFM AI. Can you shed some light on this? 

Good job on this part of the AI. Now bring on the wingman / package and atc changes!! 

• Like 1

Well, as far as "what has changed", the AI now flies somewhat sensibly in a BVR situation. Previously, it basically flew into your missiles like an idiot. It still doesn't do group tactics or BFM, but that's supposedly coming. I'm really looking forward to BFM in particular, I love close-in fights.

• Like 3

Same...  I don't think they've deployed the BFM updates yet but I haven't tested for a "stealthy" deployment either :).  I've been doing PVP for now...  Mostly the F86 in the cold war server.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

BFM changes are not there yet. Here are more details on BVR changes already implemented.

Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Combat AI Improvements:

• Available BVR tactics and skill of execution is highly dependent upon AI Skill Level setting.
  • Added timer for missile evasive manoeuvres when notching. This better allows the AI to defeat a radar operating in Memory (MEM) mode.
  • AI will use airspeed and altitude based on Skill Level to optimise missile launch kinematics. It will try to be fast and high.
  • AI will maximise distance between aircraft and target at time of missile impact, based on Skill Level, by using offsets (crank) and reduced airspeed.
  • Based on Skill Level, AI will appropriately use lead, pure, and lag intercept geometry.
  • AI will use a low slice in an offset/crank manoeuvre to force an incoming missile into denser air, provide the AI more manoeuvrability, and force hostile radar into a look-down.
  • Based on Skill Level, AI will use different defensive manoeuvres such as look down clutter notch and reversal/extensions.
  • AI will randomly use the direction of offsets (cranks) and notches.
  • Use chaff  when the missile is 60 degrees off the nose. This allows the AI to use chaff more effectively when abeam of the threat radar.
  • Aircraft without radar guided missiles will not climb and accelerate to intercept the enemy.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• ED Team

Hi all, thanks for the comments.

While some initial BFM AI changes were released earlier, much more extensive ones are currently in development that we hope to release later this summer. 

thank you

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yes I can say that I already have seen improvements on BFM, mainly jinkings.

By the way, @BIGNEWY when will you implement cooperation among other fighters or allied SAMs?, Grinder or CAP coordination from AI would be also awesome and another level in the flying experience.

Keep pushin¡g.

Edited by Spartan111sqn

On 7/4/2022 at 2:39 AM, schurem said:

Oh some improvements to BFM AI have most definitely been made. They do beautiful rolling jinks in gun evasion now and tend to stay on speed and at max rate much better.

Agreed indeed. Here's a short example of 'ace' level jeff...  surprised the heck out me.  I was actually trying to make a vid (and a track) showing the bug with TD box getting stuck on occasion, after hard maneuvering:

• Like 1

The F5 AI surprised the heck out of me also.😉

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

On 7/5/2022 at 11:47 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, thanks for the comments.

While some initial BFM AI changes were released earlier, much more extensive ones are currently in development that we hope to release later this summer. 

thank you

I’m really happy to hear that, hopefully this will include the new and improved general flight model so that we can practice formation with AI aircraft as Wags discussed sometime back. 

• Like 1

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.