I'm I going in the wrong direction upgrading my computer?

20220625_185202.jpg I just bought a Ryzen 7 5800 chip, (8 core..).  New motherboard.

I already have 48gig Ram.  SSD drives, Niveda GPU.

I am reading that DCS does not use 8 cores.  Did I just waste my money?  I have $2000 in Joystick, throttle, and Rudder.  5 touch screens, Android, and Win 11 comp.

If so, were should I have put my money.  advice please.

Depends on what you had before. Better and newer CPU is faster not only by its working frequency or core count so you still get performance improvement.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

DCS does NOT use threads, beyond that the sound processing process can share a core with the main DCS process, each 'acting' like a thread. So, you might keep two cores somewhat busy, leaving anything else running in background to share the remaining cores/threads.

Since you only said "Nvidia GPU" I am almost afraid to ask, because DCS is heavily GPU-centric; at least you're not using VR*.

In general I would always say, before you invest in CPU, invest in GPU. You really only need the CPU to feed all the date to the GPU. So, before going to an i9-12900K I would invest in an RTX 3090 Ti.

Of course, for the price of one 3090 Ti you can buy three 12900K, so.... IDK absolutely, but my educated guess would be that you could more likely drive a 3090 Ti with a "smaller" CPU, but the fastest CPU will get you nothing more than your GPU will process.

G-RAM makes a difference too. The more, the better. The more ~ the higher the range of hi-quality LOD you can have, so, how far out the trees pop up while flying low, for example.

I fly VR so have no need for touch screens etc. I type 10-fingers blind and use a mouse. If you feel you are getting good use of all the screens, good for you - nothing else maters.

Ummm... $2000 for HOTAS and pedals?!... How? I mean, what? 😳

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

14 hours ago, pushcart2012 said:

20220625_185202.jpg I just bought a Ryzen 7 5800 chip, (8 core..).  New motherboard.

I am reading that DCS does not use 8 cores.  Did I just waste my money?  I have $2000 in Joystick, throttle, and Rudder.  5 touch screens, Android, and Win 11 comp.

Looking at that aesthetic nightmare, I would say VR. 😉

• Like 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

48 GB of RAM is a little bit odd. It may work but you should equip your memory banks with symetric (ideal identical) sticks of RAM. Otherwise it could lead to severe performance issues.

4x8 (32GB) is good, 4x16 (64GB) is good, 2x16 + 2x8 is "ok" IF you put them in the right DIMM slots. (Watch the Video from "Actually Harcore Overclocking" on that matter if you want to learn more.)

It's hard to say from a distance of course.

You should execute a CPU-Benchmark and compare the results online. If you are at least close to the median, it's ok. If you are below, the RAM is your bottleneck.

Apart from that, you're still most likely GPU-bottlenecked.

Edit: Are you running XMP with that RAM configuration??? Probably not...🤔

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 7/3/2022 at 8:30 PM, pushcart2012 said:

May be considering VR ? the new pimax is a good choice with upcomming nvidia 4000  series 

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Raviar:

May be considering VR ? the new pimax is a good choice with upcomming nvidia 4000  series 

But in VR you can't click on everything. would still prefer this to a VR

42 minutes ago, Hobel said:

But in VR you can't click on everything. would still prefer this to a VR

Yep, all these tablets will be useless in VR. It's just you in the aircraft and maybe the custom kneeboard. Unless you have full home pit replica you have to touch blindly for whatever you have. There are some options (ex. mouse, trackball, keypad, custom panels, MFDs, VR controlers, leap motion, point track...) but none are perfect.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

^^^ The point of VR is that you don't need all of those superfluous tablets.  You look, you click.  What can't you click on in VR (apart from HOTAS functions which are catered for by your physical HOTAS)?

But I get that it's not for everyone.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Lace:

^^^ The point of VR is that you don't need all of those superfluous tablets.  You look, you click.  What can't you click on in VR (apart from HOTAS functions which are catered for by your physical HOTAS)?

But I get that it's not for everyone.

However, you would usually have to let go of the joystick. For certain settings.

-Radio

-TACAN

-coordinates

And so on.

I have it similar to OP and it is much easier and faster      

Edited by Hobel

13 minutes ago, Hobel said:

However, you would usually have to let go of the joystick. For certain settings.

-Radio

-TACAN

-coordinates

And so on.

I have it similar to OP and it is much easier and faster      

This isn't strictly true.

In VR, you can point the mouse with your head movement and map the clicks to any button you like.

You can do anything you like without your hands leaving throttle or stick.

Or you can spend time setting up Voice Attack and do it all by voice command if you like that route.

VR is actually less expensive than "pancake". You don't need an expensive pancake or multiple pancakes. A low end monitor and the HMD is all you need for visuals and even the simplest HOTAS will give you access to everything you need to do with the addition of a mouse or mapping mouse functionality to your HOTAS.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

18 minutes ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

In VR, you can point the mouse with your head movement and map the clicks to any button you like.

Exactly this.  There is no need to leave the HOTAS as long as you map LMB/RMB/Mouse scroll.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb =475FG= Dawger:

This isn't strictly true.

Or you can spend time setting up Voice Attack and do it all by voice command if you like that route.

VR is actually less expensive than "pancake". You don't need an expensive pancake or multiple pancakes. A low end monitor and the HMD is all you need for visuals and even the simplest HOTAS will give you access to everything you need to do with the addition of a mouse or mapping mouse functionality to your HOTAS.

I am your mentioned option also by, with the hands I am but still faster especially when it becomes more complex.
Voice attack I have and use but for these applications it is not an alternative for me.

When leap motion and co become more mature the whole vr topic will be an option for me

Edited by Hobel

4 hours ago, Lace said:

Exactly this.  There is no need to leave the HOTAS as long as you map LMB/RMB/Mouse scroll.

wireless left hand track-mouse attached to the left side of your throttle. Works like magic...............

Cheers

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis