What is the module Aerges should, in your opinion, develop after or while finishing the Mirage F-1CE, BE, EE, M?

Leviathan667

Next Aerges module (wishlist)  

296 members have voted

1. 1. What is the module Aerges should, in your opinion, develop after or while finishing the Mirage F-1CE, BE, EE, M?

• Lockheed F-104C
    • Dassault Mirage III EE
    • McDonnel Douglas F-4C
    • Trainer airplane (T-35 Pillán or Pilatus PC-21 or Lockheed T-33 or North American T-6)
    • Civil war airplane on the side of the Republicans (e.g. Potez 540 or Polikarpov I-15 or 16)
    • Civil war airplane on the side of the Republicans (e.g. Fiat CR. 32 or Heinkel He 51 or He 111)
    • Cold war era/Present era Western Mediterranean map

On 7/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, WinterH said:

Still though, I'd sooner take an A-37 than a:
- Eurofighter
- Super Hornet
- Full fidelity F-15C
- Despite being my favorite thing in DCS, a helicopter, AH-1Z
- Bf-109G6, aka ugly duckling of the family, despite being a 109 lover since I was a kid
- Some weirdo jet like F-101
- Or like Yak-38, despite really liking Soviet/Russian aircraft

And even between F-104 and it, it would be a toss up for me. Not saying I'm even remotely in the majority here, but that whole "combat aircraft in DCS!" thing is incredibly narrow really. And funnily A-37 is a combat aircraft after all, even if on miniscule side of it. If that was the whole point of view to drive DCS modules we wouldn't have amazing utility helos, cool aerobatics planes, trainer/light attack birds, and probably not even warbirds.

weirdo F-101? An RF-101 would be awesome, one cool and fast RECCE brid. Also I like the idea of the F-1CR in that case.

• Like 1

Alias in Discord: Mailman

18 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

The 101 with two hard-lighting J57s. Pure secks!

But then again, we're getting the F-8, which is secks with a little cool whip (emphasis on the h) on top. Over.

Will we get a Recce variant of that? Only confirmed Recce bird with cameras so far was the G.91, at least they said they want to make the camera nose.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

42 minutes ago, Bananabrai said:

Will we get a Recce variant of that? Only confirmed Recce bird with cameras so far was the G.91, at least they said they want to make the camera nose.

I don't think so. The contemporary recce model would be the RF-8G, which was the last Crusader-variant in service (up until 1987).

The F-8J should be fun enough. It's probably very close to the F1 in terms of dogfighting capabilities. It literally has a ton more thrust, though.

The F-101 also has a couple of funny features (version-dependant). The B has a rotating bomb-bay, for example.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

25 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

They should work on the released module and its versions until it is bugfree.

Yep...

I know we all have out pet aircraft, but I'm guessing the multitude of different F1s will keep them busy for awhile.

• Like 1

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.

21 minutes ago, Mike Force Team said:

@kontiuka and @RhinozherousNooooooooo, we want to discover the errors and bugs. That is part of the fun and discovery part of brand new modules. 

MFT

What Rhino meant, I believe, is that a dev shouldn't start working on a new module while existing modules still need a lot of work.  He didn't mean that a dev should wait to release a module to the public until it is bug free.

• Like 1

Since Aerges is on the Mirage F1, I imagine that there are many familial similarities with the Mirage III (any mark) - the fuselages, cockpits, engines, design culture.... I would like to see them add the Mirage III to their stable as the development effort might be partially assisted by the work done on the F1. 

I fail to see the attraction of the F-104 - as a Canadian I recall the large number of F-104 crashes in both the Canadian and German air forces. The only use they could find for them was as low-level high speed penetration strike aircraft carrying tactical nukes - and they had this tendency to sink into the ground on pull-ups due to their stubby wings. I am open to having my mind changed on the subject, but I don't think the pilots who flew them were all that fond of an aircraft they referred to as 'The Widow Maker'.

1 hour ago, fencible said:

I fail to see the attraction of the F-104

Maybe this video can show you how it would feel to fly one of those:

😇

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

7 hours ago, kontiuka said:

What Rhino meant, I believe, is that a dev shouldn't start working on a new module while existing modules still need a lot of work.  He didn't mean that a dev should wait to release a module to the public until it is bug free.

Exactly this!

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

6 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

Exactly this!

There is no such thing called, bug free. No module in DCS is truly bug free.

I believe the term would be, "stable", at least, reasonably so.

One can dream...I do hope for an F-104 or Jaguar. 😉

2 hours ago, jojyrocks said:

There is no such thing called, bug free. No module in DCS is truly bug free.

I believe the term would be, "stable", at least, reasonably so.

One can dream...I do hope for an F-104 or Jaguar. 😉

F-104 is a big candidate! 

10 hours ago, fencible said:

I fail to see the attraction of the F-104 - as a Canadian I recall the large number of F-104 crashes in both the Canadian and German air forces. The only use they could find for them was as low-level high speed penetration strike aircraft carrying tactical nukes - and they had this tendency to sink into the ground on pull-ups due to their stubby wings. I am open to having my mind changed on the subject, but I don't think the pilots who flew them were all that fond of an aircraft they referred to as 'The Widow Maker'.

That's because people fall for old wive's tales that are written in poorly researched articles, books or anecdotes. Spain didn't lose a single 104.

There were a large number of crashes, yes, but there also were a large number of aircraft around, being flown their guts out of them. They also didn't just attend low level strike, but flew tactical recce or intercepts (not the RCAF). Later, they did conventional attack, CAS and all the other fun games. If you compare the crash-rates (by fleet-percentage or crash per flight-hour), the 104 doesn't stick out all that much and everything is down to statistical noise.

Many of the crashes were just down to their operational circumstances (fast, low, bad weather in central Europe/ night). Another part (for Germany at least) was they skipped an entire generation of aircraft and their logistics and personnel-pipeline were completely overwhelmed by the complexity of this aircraft.

Also, if you look at the numbers in Germany (most probably for the other countries as well), the 104 was actually safer than the aircraft it was preceded by. In 25 years of service, the 104 in Germany "killed" less pilots than the aircraft in service before her within half that timeframe.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Still, just having tested the quite good mod out there (video posted some posts before) one can figure out why 104, no matter how cool it looks (because it does either), was a pretty useless aircraft outside of it's cold war bomber interceptor role. You don't need much, download the mod, watch a couple videos on how it's used and how realistic intercept profiles are, and it's just obvious. Out of that role it's a rather limited aircraft since quick take offs to climb stratospheric and intercept a supersonic bomber with your two sidewinders 🙄 isn't exactly the most varied and usable aircraft ever.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Yeah, there is some myth and embellishment with F-104s widow maker fame but I'd still say it isn't %100 myth, and the aircraft, while interesting in its own right, isn't really the coolest thing around to fly in most cases due to being suited neither to any sort of dogfighting nor to most ground attack mission types.

It is still something historically significant, and would still add something to Cold War landscape in DCS which is already becoming quite great. But it is still an aircraft I remain not that interested in, nor really excited for.

I'd much prefer things like Jaguar, Mirage III, F-100, MiG-27K, and especially the Draken which, while may not have seen too much in the way of active combat, is an absolute hoot to fly and put up against similar throughbreds like MiG-21, F-5, F-8, Mirage III etc 😛

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

57 minutes ago, rkk01 said:

What about…

… buddy up with Raz and pull out:

AV-8S, GR 3, AV-8A and FRS 1

(And yes, I realise that doesn’t get around the Blue Fox problem… 🙄)

To each their own, but I'd much, much prefer anything else listed in this thread, including a Mirage F1 vol2 as imo just F1EQ5/EQ6 alone would be more interesting to get in DCS than more Harriers.

Razbam will eventually make a gen1 Harrier or two anyway, it is still in their plans afaik.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

8 minutes ago, WinterH said:

To each their own, but I'd much, much prefer anything else listed in this thread, including a Mirage F1 vol2 as imo just F1EQ5/EQ6 alone would be more interesting to get in DCS than more Harriers.

Razbam will eventually make a gen1 Harrier or two anyway, it is still in their plans afaik.

I kind of agree…. But it seems Raz’s plans are a long way off

anyway, by your logic isn’t the F1 just another Mirage???😉 (BTW - I know full well that it isn’t, but same logic applies to the Harriers)

FWIW, my top choices for new blue Euro aircraft would be:

- Tornado IDS / GR 1

- Jaguar