How to increment F10 map waypoints?

dporter22

Don't think you can. Honestly you are lucky you are even seeing waypoints, because more often than not, I don't even get to see the route for most flights (AI, human, multiplayer, singleplayer). It seems random when it decides to show or not.

Sorry, I'm not much help.

Zyll @ TAW

Double clicking on the waypoint does nothing, right clicking does nothing, returning and flying over the waypoint again does nothing, and I don't see any F10 map options that increment the waypoint.

The flight plan line stays attached to Waypoint 1 and drags behind the airplane icon no matter what I do, which doesn't make sense.  The F10 map should mirror what's happening in the airplane, so when you pass a waypoint, or select a different one, the yellow dashed line should extend in front of the airplane icon to the selected waypoint.  

Anyone?

10 minutes ago, dporter22 said:

...The flight plan line stays attached to Waypoint 1 and drags behind the airplane icon no matter what I do, which doesn't make sense.  The F10 map should mirror what's happening in the airplane, so when you pass a waypoint, or select a different one, the yellow dashed line should extend in front of the airplane icon to the selected waypoint...

The route on F10 map is for AI exclusively. Only AI can effectively reach these waypoints so the route's objective switch to wpt2 when wpt1 is reached for example. You have a F10 map route because you have an AI wingman. The route is attached to you because you are flight leader and can't switch to wpt2 because you can't reach wpt1 (like an AI does).

If you set an AI for leading flight (eventually yourself as client for num.2), you will see that route's objective switch to next wpt when a wpt is reached.

• Thanks 1

Thank you but I'm not asking about AI aircraft, I'm asking about my aircraft.  When you click on your own aircraft it shows the flight plan and waypoints with a dashed yellow line, but the line always stays connected to Waypoint 1 instead of incrementing to subsequent waypoints.

In the image I posted above, the white icon is my aircraft with the yellow line attached to it back to Waypoint 1, even though I've already passed Waypoint 1 and am heading to Waypoint 2.

I think, what you think or want the F10 map to do and what it actually limits to doing is the problem .... but, you can use the Draw tools in the F10/mission making/editing stages to draw your route and add a text box to have your waypoints numbered, no the waypoints wont increment or decrement as you fly over but that's what your cockpit HUD steering cue is for? The kneeboard does draw your route also but not as clear as drawing on the F10/mission maker map.

Edited by IanC58
more info

74_Fox

6 hours ago, dporter22 said:

Thank you but I'm not asking about AI aircraft, I'm asking about my aircraft.  When you click on your own aircraft it shows the flight plan and waypoints with a dashed yellow line, but the line always stays connected to Waypoint 1 instead of incrementing to subsequent waypoints.

In the image I posted above, the white icon is my aircraft with the yellow line attached to it back to Waypoint 1, even though I've already passed Waypoint 1 and am heading to Waypoint 2.

When you start a mission and your aircraft has waypoints programmed in, you will not seel them on the F10 map, ever.

If the mission you are flying allows for pilot control, you can click an AI aircraft and see it's assigned path, if it has one. If an AI-aircraft is selected, in the lower-left you have a command menu with some rudimentary commands to give the AI-aircraft, like path and target. From my experience, this "path" is generally equal to a set of waypoints, but almost always WP0 is set to where the aircraft is when you clicked path, and it remains for ever, but the AI-aircraft will not try to follow it.

After clicking path everywhere you right-click on the map sets a new waypoint for the AI-aircraft, including the altitude and speed. It works sloppy and buggy and getting an AI to do what you want requires a lot of trial and error and frustration. And you cannot set a path, at the end of which you conduct an attack, as soon as you set a target, the AI-aircraft will fly straight to that and try to attack it, ignoring the path you created. These are the methods of controlling AI-aircraft.

Why do I explain all that crap, when you are talking about the aircraft you are flying?

Because, for whatever reason, DCS puts the commands in the lower-left if you click on your own aircraft in the F10 map. You can add a path and everything, but all of it means nothing. Just think of it as a buggy way DCS works, which has no actual consequences and just looks buggy and confusing.

The waypoints the mission creator add, or you added after starting the mission are the only ones which concern you, and you will never see these on the F10 map.

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks everyone, but again I'm not talking about viewing or controlling AI aircraft and I don't understand the comments about not being able to ever see waypoints on the F10 map.

Obviously you can see waypoints on the F10 map because I posted a screenshot of it.  All you have to do is click on your own aircraft icon and the waypoints and flight plan show up.

I'm also not talking about creating your own mission, or adding waypoints in the editor, or doing all kinds of modifications or anything, just the standard missions available with the modules.

All I'm asking is how to increment the waypoints so that the dashed yellow line goes from my aircraft to the next waypoint instead of remaining attached to the previous waypoint and dragging behind my aircraft.

The screenshot below is from the F-18 Alert 5 mission.  No mods, haven't changed anything, no edits, haven't created waypoints, nothing.  This is how the map looks after clicking my aircraft icon.  It is my aircraft, not AI.  I have just flown directly over Waypoint 1 and am headed to Waypoint 2.  As you can see, the yellow line extends behind my aircraft back to Waypoint 1 and will remain that way no matter what I do. 

After flying directly over Waypoint 2 there will still be a line extending from Waypoint 2 to Waypoint 1, and there will still be a line from my aircraft to Waypoint 1. 

I can understand the flight plan line remaining showing overall flight plan (although it would be better if the yellow line simply extended from your aircraft to the next waypoint), but having a line extending from my current aircraft position back to Waypoint 1 serves no purpose.  I don't care about Waypoint 1 after I've passed it and don't need a constant line back to it throughout the mission.

null

image.jpeg

Edited by dporter22

14 hours ago, dporter22 said:

Thanks everyone, but again I'm not talking about viewing or controlling AI aircraft and I don't understand the comments about not being able to ever see waypoints on the F10 map.

What they're trying to tell you is that the F10 waypoints are there exclusively for you to see the flight plans of other AI flights. The current waypoint will never increment for a human piloted flight. It's not possible. You will only ever see it happen for an AI flight. 

What purpose are you trying to use them for? The F10 map is not intended for primary navigation, you have in-cockpit displays for that.

Sorry, I still don't understand why everyone keeps saying it's only for AI aircraft.  As I explained, and as the screenshot clearly shows, those are waypoints for my aircraft, the icon is my aircraft, and the flight plan line is attached to my aircraft.  There are no AI aircraft flying my flight plan.  

What's the purpose of the dashed yellow line always extending from my aircraft back to Waypoint 1?  

29 minutes ago, dporter22 said:

Sorry, I still don't understand why everyone keeps saying it's only for AI aircraft.  As I explained, and as the screenshot clearly shows, those are waypoints for my aircraft, the icon is my aircraft, and the flight plan line is attached to my aircraft.  There are no AI aircraft flying my flight plan.  

What's the purpose of the dashed yellow line always extending from my aircraft back to Waypoint 1?  

I think what people are saying is this:

The F10 route markers and waypoints only work for the AI controlled aircraft, so you can see where they are going. If you see one for yourself then it is bugging out, it will not work properly and will not advance as you pass your waypoints.

Edited by Q3ark

1 hour ago, dporter22 said:

Sorry, I still don't understand why everyone keeps saying it's only for AI aircraft.

The feature you're asking about - incrementing the current waypoint in the F10 map - only works for AI aircraft. Yes, you can see the full route for human controlled aircraft (sometimes, getting it to display isn't reliable). But it will never show you advancing through your waypoint numbers. That part only works for AI aircraft. It does not work for human aircraft.

The F10 flight plan is not a bug, it shows the mission waypoints and flight plan for the player and has done so for many years.

And if it only works for AI aircraft, why does it show my flight plan, my waypoints, and a dashed yellow line extending from my aircraft?

Just now, dporter22 said:

The F10 flight plan is not a bug, it shows the mission waypoints and flight plan for the player and has done so for many years.

And if it only works for AI aircraft, why does it show my flight plan, my waypoints, and a dashed yellow line extending from my aircraft?

No it does not. I just checked it, not minutes ago. Waypoints in your nav computer are NOT represented on the F10 map.

If you find dashed yellow lines attached to the aircraft you are flying, it is because you added them with the path button. They are however nothing more than a drawing you made with your mouse. They have no meaning beyond what meaning you give them in your own head. They are not in the nav computer, will not be pointed to on the HUD. They will not appear on the SA page, nor the HSI page, are not in the waypoint list. For all intents and purposes concerting the DCS F/A18C you are flying, they do not exist.

Solution: Don't add them. If you've added them, ignore them.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

It's not random, a group of 0 AI will not show flight plan path. A group of >0 AI will. The AI going through the waypoint sequence involves a step where the AI says "OK, I'm done with waypoint N, connect me to waypoint N+1 now." As a group led by a player, that's impossible to do. AI and AI are both editor units and operate by the same rules. The internal AI logic of arriving at a waypoint is not a function that a human player has access to.

I've tried some editor actions as well, waypoint switch logic on triggers, enabling helper gates and flying precisely through the point, and a little bit of scripting. I can't get the human group's current point to change by any means.

• Like 1

Thanks, but as I've said several times I'm not asking about AI aircraft and I haven't added anything, edited anything, or modified anything, and I'm not asking about the SA page, HSI, nav computer, or anything else.

Once again, as can clearly be seen in the screenshots I've posted, it is MY aircraft, showing the waypoints for MY mission, with MY flight plan shown in yellow, with a line always extending from MY aircraft back to the first waypoint.

All I'm asking is why is there always a line extending from my aircraft's current position back to Waypoint 1?  It serves no purpose.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:43 PM, dporter22 said:

Then why is it there?

My guess is the mission you are flying was originally designed and tested using an AI aircraft, then they simply switched the plane from AI controlled to player controlled.  It’s the quickest way to trouble shoot all the AI units for a mission since you can run it at 2x or faster in-game speeds.  You are seeing the vestigial remnants of when the flight was originally supposed to be AI flown.  So as others have pointed out: just ignore it.  The F-18s HSI and HUD waypoint cueing are more useful and intuitive than those F10 lines anyway, and the waypoints preplanned in your plane *should* match those F10 lines, though the in-plane waypoint number might be different than the F10 number.

If you go into the mission editor and switch your plane back to being AI controlled, you should see the plane follow that path seen on F10.  Thats about the extent of the usefulness of those F10 lines.

I guess that could be it, but it's not just this mission, it's every mission for all the modules I have (A-10, F-16, F-18, F-14).  If it was left over from original AI testing years ago, I would think that ED would have corrected it by now.