M04 ROE (spoiler alert)

Hi Guys,

How did you managed to stop the smuglers in this mission? I ended up sinking the ship..

1- I strafed in front of the ship, nothing happened

2- I left a cluster infront of the ship which was pretty close, nothing happened

3- I strafed the ship itself (100 bullets), nothing happened

4- I shot it with mawerick and ship stopped but sank 🙂

After that, R01 and 02 left the texaco and came up where I was but no further radio comms happaned and I went way below the bingo to 3k..

What is the magic in this mission to made the ship stop without breaking the mission?

2 hours ago, Devastator said:

2- I left a cluster infront of the ship which was pretty close, nothing happened

Hi, how did you setup your SMS page to drop them? Just to understand if could be this, as I drop it with correct SMS setup of VT - HOB @ 1500ft parameters and the mission was success. I do not know if it's related to this, our Cluster Mk20 Rockeye CBU 100 and CBU 99 are "hardwired" from ground personnel at 1500 feet Height Of Burst. Anyway you do not have to hit them.

I don't know how the mission trigger is setup. 

I think this is an issue of the mission instruction itself, Strike gave orders that you may drop ordinance in vicinity (to stop the smuggler cargo ship) but it didn’t specifically clear you to engage the ship itself, resulting in an misleading instruction.

In my first attempt, I dropped the Mk82 in front of the ship’s bow and also shot warning 20mm in the sea and then shot several round on the ship’s cargo deck, nothing happened, and no radio comms, so in the end I gave the ship a AGM-65 and sank it, then the radio came in and Raven 11 saying he is coming to my spot. Then Raven 11 and 12 flew over all the way to Syria because the ship had sunk.

In my second try, I set the Mk82 VT at 700ft and dropped it onto the cargo deck directly (instead of dropping in the sea), thus it created enough damage but not cause the ship to sink. Then about 10 seconds later, Olive said the cargo ship had stopped and everything went well thereafter.

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

11 hours ago, Jenson said:

I think this is an issue of the mission instruction itself, Strike gave orders that you may drop ordinance in vicinity (to stop the smuggler cargo ship) but it didn’t specifically clear you to engage the ship itself, resulting in an misleading instruction.

In my first attempt, I dropped the Mk82 in front of the ship’s bow and also shot warning 20mm in the sea and then shot several round on the ship’s cargo deck, nothing happened, and no radio comms, so in the end I gave the ship a AGM-65 and sank it, then the radio came in and Raven 11 saying he is coming to my spot. Then Raven 11 and 12 flew over all the way to Syria because the ship had sunk.

In my second try, I set the Mk82 VT at 700ft and dropped it onto the cargo deck directly (instead of dropping in the sea), thus it created enough damage but not cause the ship to sink. Then about 10 seconds later, Olive said the cargo ship had stopped and everything went well thereafter.

looks like your first attempt was exactly like mine.. I will try to hit the ship with cluster tonight and will see if it works

@pokeraccio I used 300 ft for VT to make the area of effect small and not hit the ship by mistake. It worked well as the last explosion which happened was just 10-20 meters away from the ship but the ship did not stop. If I was the captain, I would abandon the ship after such scene 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devastator said:

but shooting in vicinity all the rounds and the cluster did not do anything and they were still sailing..

in my mission worked at first attempt, just to test it, but I do not know if this could be the problem, try with the correct weapon parameters. SMS setup of VT - HOB @ 1500ft. For this weapon we can use just this option on the F18

update, this I managed to stop the ship without sinking it.

1- Cluster infront of the ship 700 ft VT didnt work, although the explosions almost hit the ship

2- Gun shots directly to the ship ( I think I had 2-3 sec burst) did the work

p.s. does anybody know what is "KILO" is? All the guys who are switching from initial to knight uses that code word in their radio calls and I have no clue what that does mean 🙂

On 7/7/2022 at 12:41 PM, Devastator said:

you dropped it above the ship or front of the ship? If front, then how far it was away from the ship?

Try with the correct weapon param as I pointed out (VT700 it's not), I remember I just dropped them as a normal release in front of the boat the cluster did not hit the boat as per instruction.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, Devastator said:

p.s. does anybody know what is "KILO" is? All the guys who are switching from initial to knight uses that code word in their radio calls and I have no clue what that does mean 🙂

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\campaigns\FA-18C Raven One Dominant Fury\Doc

we have a nice pdf docs there, there is also some word reference, Kilo is in pag 9/14:

KILO: mission ready. Used during CASE III launch and departure, to tell Mother that the jet is good and the flight is leaving to go on their mission.

51 minutes ago, Devastator said:

m04 is not a case3 launch but the brevity is still used there

Used during CASE III launch "and" departure

Could be in both situation?

Edit: I do not know, just guessing, maybe this brevity is used in each departure, but after a Case III launch it's required at a specific moment, after launch/Radar Contact?

Edited by pokeraccio

Did this mix 2 times and both times was not a problem to stop them, see the impact points on my two mix.

The one in front of the ship was first mix, the lateral one on the second mix I did just to check and was ok, too.

be aware that cluster must not hit the ships.

I hope it helps

M4_1.jpg

Edited by pokeraccio

I just finished the mission, dropped Rockeye in front of the ship (in order to avoid hitting it) in CCIP mode, definitely changed VT (but don't recall was it 1200 or 1500) and Olive reported that ship stopped after cluster munitions exploded over the water ahead of the ship.

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

1 hour ago, Devastator said:

So I assume 1500 is the one which the trigger cares

that's the only settings this kind of weapon work with. explained that on my first message. I do not know if a trigger in this mission look for user SMS input also, but for sure if you want to use this weapon on the F18 must be set with good parameters.

that weapon will work with any kind of settings which you have in VT section. If the settings would not work, why would they have that possibility in first place right?
VT adjusts the height where the bomblets will spead out. Higher means more area will be covered but less intense explosions as the amount of bomblets per area will be lower than a low opening setting. 
Try default VT setting by a BUK site and then compare the results with a low opening one like 900 or low. One of them will destroy the launchers the otherone will only do little damage

18 hours ago, Devastator said:

that weapon will work with any kind of settings which you have in VT section. If the settings would not work, why would they have that possibility in first place right?
VT adjusts the height where the bomblets will spead out. Higher means more area will be covered but less intense explosions as the amount of bomblets per area will be lower than a low opening setting. 
Try default VT setting by a BUK site and then compare the results with a low opening one like 900 or low. One of them will destroy the launchers the otherone will only do little damage

I don't know if ED lately changed this weapon behaviour, but I remember the VT selection must be setup on the weapon by ground personnel (on the ground) and then selected accordingly by SMS from the pilot, in the real one. ED not implementing afaik this "ground" settings so hardwired at 1500ft.

meaning that you can select on the SMS whatever you want but the parameters will be the hardwired one of 1500, possibly giving you an erroneous firing solution (do not know if this is simulated by our DCS F18 but could be possible) 

Edited by pokeraccio

16 hours ago, Devastator said:

very interesting. Is jsow-a works in different way than the rockeye or that one is also always 1500ft no matter what you set? 

Works different and I'm pretty sure the selection made in SMS it's sended (working in DCS) to the weapon by a transmission data cable.

I dropped the MK82 with VT300 just next to the ship (very close but not hiting the ship), if I remember on the starboard (opposite side where the fast mover was) and they stopped.

On first try I dropped the MK82 on the ship, it started to burn but did not sink. On second try she sunk 😄

Do like I did.  Key the mike several times and say "Shhhxxx shhxxx breaking up shhxx can't hear you shhxxx" and rifle that sucka.  Oh no you didn't!  Don't be shooting that green **** at me!  

Fortunately I sorta missed -- accidentally hit the suprastructure instead of the waterline, as the developer's notes suggest -- and was able to finish the mission.  

Also, in a just world, Will Smith would a played Flip, just sayin 😉

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder