CCIP Gun Strafe Accuracy Workaround

TheCoyoteHunter

Thought this was pretty good.

Edited by TheCoyoteHunter

"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

DCS: FC3, FA-18C Hornet, Supercarrier, P-51D Mustang, F-5E Tiger II, A-10C II Tank Killer, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Normandy 2.0, WWII Assets Pack.

• TheCoyoteHunter changed the title to CCIP Gun Strafe Accuracy Workaround

Why does he tell about the workaround at 10 minute mark? This shouldn't be a video, it should be a one line forum post, with the following line:

Switch POS/GPS to GPS in the HSI page to get more accurate CCIP.

Less yammering, more solutions, please. Reading one line of text takes less than 17 minutes. If the idea was to report the bug, it could've been a track.

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Why does he tell about the workaround at 10 minute mark? This shouldn't be a video, it should be a one line forum post, with the following line:

Switch POS/GPS to GPS in the HSI page to get more accurate CCIP.

Less yammering, more solutions, please. Reading one line of text takes less than 17 minutes. If the idea was to report the bug, it could've been a track.

I'm glad you mentioned it, Dragon. I always get moaning and complaints that nothing is good enough for me, and I should be happy with the free help I get, when the one-line, dozen-word work-around is imbedded in a 17 minute video.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

11 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Hopefully, the INS overhaul that is supposedly in progress will fix this issue. 

Maybe the only "bug" is that POS/INS is default and not GPS. From my understanding, ever since GPS was added to the Hornet IRL, GPS is the default for everything, and INS is only for just in-case GPS is broken. I recall a former pilot saying that they train using INS like once a week, just in case. But INS always drifts over time, so POS/INS will lose accuracy, and require re-calibrate during your flight.

Maybe McDonnell Douglas didn't think it important enough to set as default in the RL firmware, or maybe ED overlooked doing it. Who knows.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

It might a legacy thing, it's been that way in the pre-GPS Hornet, and nobody changed it in the new one, for whatever reason. That said, in the Hornet INS and GPS should be coupled when in IFA mode, so drift shouldn't happen, as INS would be constantly updated from the GPS (contrary to the Viper, which in the version we have has INS that's rather loosely coupled to GPS). 

It's a bug, where CCIP solution seems to be tied to the ground instead of the A/C. So because of the INS drift that was introduced at some point during development, CCIP solution gets screwed with time. 

There is a lengthy thread about it here:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

It might be a good time to remind everyone of another A/G gun related bug:  Gun's CCIP solution at higher elevations is off after using (or powering up) a GPS weapon. It seems like it's calculated for sea level.  Hopefully it's not too far on the list of bug fixing priorities.

BTW, if you also happen to have a dumb bomb in your loadout, all you have to do to fix the issue is... select the dumb bomb after JDAM, then go to guns and the CCIP points correctly at any altitude.  Well, that's not a 'good' workaround tho'  :/

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, EagleBeak said:

Thank you very much for sharing. I can't believe that this simple but critical bug has gone unfixed for 2 years, but luckily there are smart people in the DCS community.

BTW, for newcomers, the solution is buried in the video at 11:28

Since you bumped this thread up, I have to update my loosely related post (right above yours).  CCIP @ higher elevations after JDAM power up seem to be fixed.