Missile not Ready

Caldera

Hey all,

I have no clue.  I had just fired a Hellfire and destroyed a T-55, then they quit.  The message was "MSL NOT RDY".  To the best of my ability I did not mess with anything.  Basically, one  missile fired OK and the next wouldn't.

AH-64D 13 .gif

Anyone take a stab at it?

Caldera

from the screenshot i see that both laser channels PRI and ALT are on A code. maybe that causes the issues? 

Also the selected missile shows 'LS' which means (per manual):

Missile standby, not set to a laser code.

While others show 'AR' = Missile ready, seeker is in scanning for laser matching A code.

And the active missile should be in 'AT' = Missile seeker in track mode, detecting laser matching A code.

Did you fire as CP/G?

Did you wait some seconds to check if the missile just needed time to "arm"?

Hope that might help.

K

Edited by Kharrn
  • Like 1

Raptor,

8 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

@Caldera There is some erroneous MSL NOT RDY instances that have been reported.

This is maybe the cause.

Kharm,

from the screenshot i see that both laser channels PRI and ALT are on A code. maybe that causes the issues? 

Yes, I noticed that too.  I tried for some time to get ALT back to ALT B.  in the list the B option was not present and the only choices were A C D D.

Also the selected missile shows 'LS' which means (per manual):

Missile standby, not set to a laser code.

While others show 'AR' = Missile ready, seeker is in scanning for laser matching A code.

And the active missile should be in 'AT' = Missile seeker in track mode, detecting laser matching A code.

All the above, still a bit unexplainable.

Did you fire as CP/G?

Did you wait some seconds to check if the missile just needed time to "arm"?

Yes I fired as the CP/G.  I had just fired a missile less than 20 secs prior and destroyed a tank.

Thanks,

.Caldera

as far as i understand the Channels can theoretically have any combination from A A A A, A B C D or C C D D.

But IMHO the first and the third would not make much sense cause you want to tell the missile by PRI (standard using Channel 1) to look for that laser code (laser code preset assigned to channel) and on ALT (standard using Channel 2) want to have a different code for Hellfire rippel fire mode (not going into detail here).

Channels 3 and 4 are like 1 and 2 just like "favourites". So you put four different laser code presets on the four Channels to have the most variability. For example: own ship LRFD code; buddy Apache laser code; JTAC laser code; A10 FAC(A) laser code.

You can set laser code preset to Channel via the CHAN subpage in the WPN page -> MSL (top left then)

but still no solution to your problem i know....

Did you maybe got shot at? sometimes missiles are shown even though the wing is empty (shot to sh* ;)).

Workaround would be to switch to MAN mode and select the next Hellfire via TEDAC RHG 'advance missile key' i guess....but atm i cant test if that works...

K

• ED Team
15 minutes ago, Mav87th said:

Top riget hans side of the WPN page. Tale is SAL witch it should not be. Seems like that type is chosen default every time you switch weapon.

That is the only type it should be since that is the only type available.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

vor einer Stunde schrieb Mav87th:

Top riget hans side of the WPN page. Tale is SAL witch it should not be. Seems like that type is chosen default every time you switch weapon.

not correct. Currently you can switch MSL Type between SAL and RF (even if it should not be 'switchable' as far as i understand Raptor9's post).

SAL (semi active laser) is the only usable mode at this time because FCR (radar) and corresponding Hellfires are not implemented (yet).

• ED Team
2 hours ago, Kharrn said:

Currently you can switch MSL Type between SAL and RF (even if it should not be 'switchable' as far as i understand Raptor9's post).

There is some condition-based logic that governs whether it can be switched between SAL and RF, but I meant to say that there is no reason why any player should not have it on SAL since there is no other missile type available. It's like if I were to tell the OP they need to switch the missile type to AMRAAM.

• Thanks 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Hey All,

The whole missile channel thing baffles me.  I understand that a missile needs a frequency code for the seeker to lock on to. 

This is no help to me.

AH-64D 14 .gif

When all it needs a the proper frequency setting, why does it need channels 1-4?  What is the purpose?

Caldera

When ever I have this issue.   I find the easiest way to fix it is.   As a pilot ‘was’ the hellfire your self and then move your head around the target being laser.   To me what I think is happening, when George is in control of the hellfire the missile seeker head is stuck.  And for some reason when the weapon is ‘was’ by the pilot the missile seeker fallows the pilots head position, along with the missile pylon articulation up and down with the pilots head movement tell it locates the laser energy and locks on to the target.   

And now that I think of it, maybe it’s a case of the pylon facing to far down when the tads is activated and the seeker can’t find the target

Edited by JesseJames38
Info added

13 minutes ago, JesseJames38 said:

When ever I have this issue.   I find the easiest way to fix it is.   As a pilot ‘was’ the hellfire your self and then move your head around the target being laser.   To me what I think is happening, when George is in control of the hellfire the missile seeker head is stuck.  And for some reason when the weapon is ‘was’ by the pilot the missile seeker fallows the pilots head position tell it locates the laser energy.   

Yeah,this demonstrates what the problem probably is.

The problem is the the Seeker head doesn’t get re-slaved to the TADS line of sight when in DIR mode. LO/HI should look straight ahead but in DIR the next missile seeker head should get slaved to the TADS LOS….and for some reason, it sometimes doesn’t. This is one criteria for the MSL NOT READY inhibit.

Its most obvious when the look down angle between missile rail and TADS LOS is high, I.e when you’re a few hundred feet or more above the target.

When hovering at 50’ and the LOS is flat the seeker heads can more easily pick up the laser, even when they’re incorrectly slaved (I presume straight ahead).

I think a lase and re-lase should force the seeker to follow TADS LOS, but it often doesn’t (or at all). I find a pitch up or down or wiggle left or right is needed, but this is not a good workaround.

Edited by AvroLanc