How to get better performance in VR?

Bob Morton

Hello,

I have a 2080 ti graphics card, which is still pretty good. My processor is an i7-6700k 4ghz. I want to get better performance in VR. What would be the best bang for the buck?

Thank you!

F-14B - F-18C - F-16C - Mirage 2000

i7-6700k 4Ghz; EVGA 2080ti; 32GB DDR4; warthog HOTAS; Logitech pro flight pedals; oculus Rift S

You mean regarding a hardware upgrade or relating to impactful graphics settings?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Hardware wise.

Based on you using the rift S and not intending to upgrade it immediately, I'd say CPU and motherboard.

My 3070 can run my old Lenovo explorer (slightly higher resolution than the rift S) at almost 90 fps all the time but in order to do that you also need a CPU that's capable of driving DCS fast enough to keep up.

For reference, your 2080ti should be about the same performance; I did see a significant uplift from switching from my 3600@4.3ghz to the 5800X3D.

Depending on budget and urgency I'd look at either a 12th gen Intel or wait till the Ryzen 7000 series drops.

Software wise.

Have a look at running the openxr runtimes and making sure that your system is properly optimised. Thud's DCS VR guides are always a good go to 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Edmuss is quite on point with those recommendations.

I upgraded to a 3070 form a 1060 recently but kept my old i5 7600k and it looks like I am cpu bound now with the Samsung Odyssey plus headset.
OpenXR Toolkit has helped tremendously, however fps report from openxr always says cpu bound in area that are demanding in dcs.

Your 2080ti is on par with the 3070 performance-wise but better in vram department so that gpu should be alright.

Waiting for the new ryzens cpu and raptor lake to drop to upgrade the cpu.

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset