1) AI Spitfires sometimes don't take the runway after the player. DCS AI bug, already reported to ED - Bug came back in 2.8

Solution: they will take off after waiting 5-6 minutes, the mission will work just fine.

2) Sometimes the AI does crazy S-turns instead of proceeding to the next WP. DCS AI bug, already reported to ED.

Solution: follow them from a distance, eventually they will straighten out.

3) Sometimes the AI lags, warps, decelerates and flies at 99 knots at high AoA. DCS AI thing.

Solution: the recently announced new AI FM will hopefully make the AI fly in a more human and believable way. Until then, just be prepared for these moves.

4) The Spitfire's engine sometimes overcools and dies at cruise settings. DCS bug, ED promised a cooling model overhaul for warbirds. - Should be solved now

Solution: From time to time increase RPM and boost to warm up the engine, and get into a sideslip to stay in formation. Also, apply oil dilution to keep the oil pressure below 120 psi.

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Reflected pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...

Question..... has the Spit fuel bugged out? I have just redone mission 3 and landed without the fuel gauge once flickering and starting to drop. The settings are correct for fuel feed and whilst I was much more conservative with my engine settings I was still taken aback by how much I had left. The external drained at a pace I expected but not the internal. As much as I would like to say it was me I wonder if its above me and if anyone else has noticed more generous range lately?

• 4 weeks later...

On DCS World 2.8 beta, I can't get the AI to take off in Sortie 2. I've tried passing the line, taking off and landing multiple times, and waiting in line for up to 40 minutes without success.

Unrelated, but I'm also having trouble getting the comms menu to activate when in the air since the 2.8 upgrade and starting Beware Beware. Comms menu works in the air for instant action still, so I think maybe a setting (easy radio?) is getting forced?

Edited by Pyrocumulous
corrected version number to 2.8
  • Thanks 1

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

48 minutes ago, Pyrocumulous said:

On DCS World 2.5 beta, I can't get the AI to take off in Sortie 2. I've tried passing the line, taking off and landing multiple times, and waiting in line for up to 40 minutes without success.

Unrelated, but I'm also having trouble getting the comms menu to activate when in the air since the 2.8 upgrade and starting Beware Beware. Comms menu works in the air for instant action still, so I think maybe a setting (easy radio?) is getting forced?

Thanks that's a DCS AI bug that came back and it's affecting every one of my campaigns. @[ED]Obi

As for the radio, easy comms are forced off in my campaign so you need to use the mic pushbutton on the throttle instead. The one that you would push in real life to talk on the radio. The comms menu only works on the ground.

• Like 2

Hey Reflected, I'm running into an issue with the second mission where I taxi behind my flight lead and we queue up on the taxiway but no one takes off. All of the other spits that have yet to take off taxi up behind my flight (gotta be close to 20) and they just sit there as my flight blocks them.

I tried advancing time, waiting, etc. No joy. Also tried to fly this mission a number of times and have run into the same pattern of behaviour from the ai each time.

Might be something worth taking a peek at (unless I'm being an idiot and missing something obvious) but could be an ai issue caused by the latest update.

Keep up the great work by the way, love your campaigns.

Glad to see the AI bug has been reported.  I am still on the last 2.7 update as I dont want to tank my VR fps.  Are the AI bugs squashed in 2.8?

Just bought Beware Beware as my first bought campaign, I usually make my own in SP.  Yours are a delight compared to mine, apart from the AI bugs.

At the moment my AI flight is impossible to formate on.  After the battle climb in the first mission, I get tucked in at the rear left of the flight only to have them suddenly do the walnut shell and pea shuffle game, leaving me either climbing away or descending in panic.  Then you get tucked in again at 180 mph only for them to brake to 110mph faster than my car or two bikes.  A lot of cut throttle barrel rolling and climbing above to keep them in sight ensues.

Also, another ED feature when flying slow with the bombers is the entire spitfire wing flies along straight and level but with an attitude of about 20 degrees nose down.  Most confusing and constant reference to ones own attitude indicator and horizon over the wing to avoid diving.

I concur with a posters above assessment of fuel consumption in the second mission (the foggy and cloudy day).  Love that mission, it really taxes your navigational skills finding Biggin Hill at the end of the mission if you have lost sight of your flight and return home as a single.  However, even though I do set maximum endurance settings once I leave the French coast, I would be expecting to see the gauge on the bottom tank falling.  At first I thought I was just fat with fuel, but now I think it is a bug, having flown to the north as far as the end of the detailed map, turned east to the thames estuary, turned south for five minutes and then west in order to locate Biggin without the lower tank showing any sign of depleting.

Thoroughly enjoying your missions though.  Really demanding and requiring constant attention to stay alive as they would be in real life.  Very immersive.

Edited by Tinkickef
  • Like 1

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

AI has not been fixed in 2.8 Beta; 2.7 stable is the place to be for single player at this time. I actually am not seeing any appreciable difference in VR performance (with OpenXR) between DCS 2.8.0.32235.1 Open Beta and DCS 2.7.18.30765, but I'm CPU bound most of the time.

Pimax Crystal, Asus ProArt X670E-Creator, Ryzen 7950X3D, 64gb DDR5, RTX 4090 FE, Magic Trackpad 3, Warthog HOTAS, Warthog Throttle and TPR pedals.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2022 at 5:27 PM, Reflected said:

3) Sometimes the AI lags, warps, decelerates and flies at 99 knots at high AoA. DCS AI thing.

Solution: the recently announced new AI FM will hopefully make the AI fly in a more human and believable way. Until then, just be prepared for these moves.

Just started the campaign. Been waiting for it for a while. I have played all other Spitfire campaigns in the past and don't recall having that much trouble keeping in formation with AI. They would be somewhat erratic but I don't think they'd ever use to fly that slow, or fly straight with their noses 30 degrees down (!), or drop 60 knots in speed in less than a second...

Would anyone know if going to stable at this time would fix the above?

@john4pap I wouldn’t recommend waiting, actually after a few missions you get used to the quirks of the AI and start anticipating them, and you’ll be able to fly the missions. I don’t think ED will release their new ai fm anytime soon, there haven’t been many news about it. 

@MADLOU1it’s ok to report these, at least I can forward to ED, and it’s good that I’m aware of bugs that affect my campaigns even if they’re not on my end. The worst for me is a bad user experience - for whatever reason it may be. 

• Like 3