Magnetic Variation: Some answers (incl South Atlantic)

Ian Boys UK

For a while magnetic variation puzzled me because it was said to vary by year and across a map but I had no idea of knowing what it was. Now using features in the Mirage 2000C I have some answers. They might vary from accepted wisdom because the default map year is now 2016 (it used to be 2008?)

1. Yes, it varies by year. At Creech (NTTR map) in 2016 it is -12 in 2016, -13.7 in 2001.
2. Yes it varies across the map, most notably in the South Atlantic - 15.7 off the coast of Chile, -2.2 off Stanley

2016 figures from roughly map centre:

NTTR -12 

Caucasus -7.2

PGulf -2.1

Marianas -0.8

Syria -4.9

South Atlantic West -15 East -2.2

Attention @Alpenwolf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot!

When flying the Hind with Petrovich, is the correction done automatically by him? I think there's a message that pops up on the screen to confirm that, so basically, no correction is required in that case?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

18 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Thanks a lot!

When flying the Hind with Petrovich, is the correction done automatically by him? I think there's a message that pops up on the screen to confirm that, so basically, no correction is required in that case?

Yes, Petrovich knows the MagVar and can dial it in.

Now, flying with a human gunner in MP is a bit of an issue in that regard, as local MagVar is not listed in the kneeboard...

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

32 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Yes, Petrovich knows the MagVar and can dial it in.

Now, flying with a human gunner in MP is a bit of an issue in that regard, as local MagVar is not listed in the kneeboard...

Yeah, so in that case I (being the pilot) do it myself. I'm used to in the Mi-8 anyway.

By the way, what about other aircraft? Say, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15?

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

You know, I wish there were an easier way to find the mag variation. Either say as a kneeboard item or info block in the Mission Editor. Especially for aircraft that do not have the capability to show the pilot what it is. F-16 and F-18 are the only two I'm aware of that will show you what the mag variation is.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder
  • Like 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

1 hour ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

You know, I wish there were an easier way to find the mag variation. Either say as a kneeboard item or info block in the Mission Editor. Especially for aircraft that do not have the capability to show the pilot what it is. F-16 and F-18 are the only two I'm aware of that will show you what the mag variation is.

And Mirage, that has a dedicated setting for it on the INS panel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

By the way, what about other aircraft? Say, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15?

Not sure if MagVar gets set automatically in those aircraft or is listed in the kneeboard at least or is an issue there as well.

Only very few modules tell you the MagVar in the kneeboard, like the Heatblur modules (Viggen & Tomcat) and I think the Mirage 2000C does it too.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

@Ian Boys UK

Are you sure they all have a (-) and not a (+) as shown by you int he main post? PG and Syria should have a (+) there instead of a (-), unless it's just a dash and not a minus.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments