F-100D-86-NA Super Sabre Module

Andrew8604

I think ED should produce this module.  The F-100D is a development from the F-86 Sabre.  It even uses a version of the same A-4 gunsight.  I'm sure there are other commonalities, even though it is an entirely changed airframe and engine, of course.  

The F-100 was the world's first fighter capable of supersonic speed in level flight.  The MiG-19 was a close second (I believe).  We already have the MiG-19 module in DCS.  How about the F-100?

The F-100 flew combat missions over Vietnam from 1964 to 1971.  I believe the type flew more missions over Vietnam than any other fighter, 360,283 combat sorties.  More sorties than were flown by 15,000 P-51 Mustangs in WWII...and we have the P-51D in DCS.  1,274 F-100D's were built.

Its four M39 20mm revolver cannons (like the pair in the F-5E) have a combined rate of fire close to that of the M61 Vulcan.  It's a gun fighter, but like the F-86F, it can carry AIM-9 Sidewinders, too.  Mostly, it's a fighter-bomber, though.

It's similar to the F-86F and F-5E, sure, but it is a historical aircraft that played a larger role than the F-5E.  But unlike the F-86F and F-5E, the F-100D can refuel in flight.  And I think it would be fun to fly in DCS.

I think the version to choose should be the same as that at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC.

North American F-100D Super Sabre | Smithsonian Institution (si.edu)

F-100D Smithsonian.PNG

• Like 9

I would also like to see the Hun come to DCS. Not only is it historical but it would be far more feasible to do than most other newer requests.

This is a must see F-100 video of former pilots that get to fly it again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Really would want a F-100 as it could make for great campaigns.  +1 . Only question is what variant are you trying to get ED to Model, an Early 100D found in the 50s/early 60s. A mid 60s variant, found in the early stages of Vietnam. Or a Late 60s / ANG , either Pre Project Highwire or Post Project Highwire. 

Edited by Fangs Out
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 10:29 AM, Fangs Out said:

Really would want a F-100 as it could make for great campaigns.  +1 . Only question is what variant are you trying to get ED to Model, an Early 100D found in the 50s/early 60s. A mid 60s variant, found in the early stages of Vietnam. Or a Late 60s / ANG , either Pre Project Highwire or Post Project Highwire. 

I don't know about the op, but if I had to pick one variant the time frame would be 1967-1968. That was the height of us involvement in Vietnam. Though multiple would be nice 

Edited by upyr1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Now all that they need is the F-104 and F-105... and they'll have to develop a Su-22 or Mi-2 or something (as they'll have exhausted the popular American aircraft) 😉

The Su-22 is already in development by OctopusG. 😉

• Like 3

Not licensed yet though, and there is another dev whose almost finished the art (but doesn't have a license either)... so it looks like three devs were interested - and one has fairly complete art and another has a partial test implementation... which is promising.

Anyway, we should probably let the conversation go back to the F-100... 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Not licensed yet though, and there is another dev whose almost finished the art (but doesn't have a license either)... so it looks like three devs were interested - and one has fairly complete art and another has a partial test implementation... which is promising.

Anyway, we should probably let the conversation go back to the F-100... 🙂

I wonder if Bruce Gordon will help with the Hun module. It would be awesome if he did.

Well, that was easy!  Make a wish and get it answered in less than 60 days!!  I'm going to make some more.  😆  (No, I would guess they were working on it long before I posted this wish.)

Of course, it could be 1 or 2 years before Early Access.  But at least it's on the design table!!  Thanks, Grinnelli Designs!!  👍

I'll be flying this one in the Vietnam Map.  Oh, wait..."DCS Wish List, may we have a Vietnam Map? "   There, let's see if we get that promised within 60 days, now.  😉

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Andrew8604 said:

Well, that was easy!  Make a wish and get it answered in less than 60 days!!  I'm going to make some more.  😆  (No, I would guess they were working on it long before I posted this wish.)

Of course, it could be 1 or 2 years before Early Access.  But at least it's on the design table!!  Thanks, Grinnelli Designs!!  👍

I'll be flying this one in the Vietnam Map.  Oh, wait..."DCS Wish List, may we have a Vietnam Map? "   There, let's see if we get that promised within 60 days, now.  😉

Remember the F-100 was a proyect with a team building a mod form some years ago. That has jump to make them official 3rd party and get access to the SDK, as the IndiaFoxtEcho MBB-339 or the Aviron Kfir. And surely, that is not the last.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

The Hun smells like napalm in the morning.

But it also comes in handy on the Syria map. It was used in the Cyprus war in '74 with the TuAF and it may come in handy in RDAF service on the Kola map.

I was surprised to find out that the Hun was used by a few other countries. I am sure that DCS virtual pilots from those countries will be happy to have a jet from that era representing them.

Denmark
France
Taiwan
Turkey

Edited by Evoman
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Evoman said:

I was surprised to find out that the Hun was used by several other countries. I am sure that DCS virtual pilots from those countries will be happy to have a jet from that era representing them.

Denmark
France
Germany
Italy
Netherlands
Taiwan
Turkey
United Kingdom

Where did you get this list from?

At least Germany never used any variant of the Hun.

(edit: I can't speak for the UK, the Netherlands and Italy)

Edited by Tom Kazansky

5 hours ago, Andrew8604 said:

Could you ask for better rocket warhead modelling and more variety in rocket warheads (for the Su-25, Mi-8 etc.) Some aircraft really depend upon rockets to do their jobs 🙂

I just discovered a post from 2004 made by me asking for this - so it has been 18 years apparently...! But if you're somehow lucky?!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

Where did you get this list from?

At least Germany never used any variant of the Hun.

(edit: I can't speak for the UK, the Netherlands and Italy)

Sorry I mistook a list of countries that had surviving F-100 on display. I have corrected my original list.

Edited by Evoman
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, upyr1 said:

He needs to post about the thud next. The hun will be awesome. 

If "OP" is me...

I WISH I had an F-105D.   ...now watch, I'll be misunderstood and get a real F-105 delivered to my house that won't fit in my backyard.  😆   

If I only get 3 wishes, that may have just used them up!  Now I'll never get that E-1B Tracer or KA-3B Skywarrior I wanted.  😆   ...I'm trusting the F-4B Phantom II will be in-works one of these years.   I've got a stack of wishes in one hand and virtual aircraft in the other.

• Like 2