PC upgrade - Mobo, CPU and RAM

As you can see on my signature, my current PC is more than 4 year old.
i5 8400 - 32gb ram- mb H370 aorus
somehow it provides a quite decent (for my gamestyle) VR experience.

I´m thinking about upgrading them but keeping my GPU, SSD, power supply (gigabyte 800w)
budget is tight like when I bought my computer 4 years ago. Even for those days standard, I choose a mid level PC. I haven´t followed the usual AMD/Intel war during these years, so I´m completely at lost, but for saving your time, I´m not looking into a $600 cpu, i9 12900K is not an option 🙂

What are decent mid level candidates? i7? ryzen 5?
I read somewhere ryzen is quite good for single thread apps like DCS , comparing with the same range of Intel. Is that true?

For RAM I´m looking for 32gb which fit the motherboard I choose. But firstly I guess I have to figure out the cpu socket.

Appreciate your input!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

The 12700(K) is getting a lot of praise for being a solid gaming cpu which is energy and price efficient.

On the AMD side, a 5800X would be a solid option. Wether you prefer AMD or Intel nowadays is pretty much a matter of taste imho.

(the latter is around 300 bucks, the first around 400 if I'm not mistaken).

If gaming is your main/only concern, you may even be happy with a 5600X.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, Hiob said:

The 12700(K) is getting a lot of praise for being a solid gaming cpu which is energy and price efficient.

On the AMD side, a 5800X would be a solid option. Wether you prefer AMD or Intel nowadays is pretty much a matter of taste imho.

(the latter is around 300 bucks, the first around 400 if I'm not mistaken).

If gaming is your main/only concern, you may even be happy with a 5600X.

thank you , that sounds like a decent starting point

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

5 minutes ago, PiotrMKG said:

I would go with Intel 12700k, MSI z690 ddr4 mobo. If U have ddr4 reuse it. AMD is great in multithreaded apps, DCS isn’t one now. Due to chiplet design all games surfer from wierd fps drops.

let me check but I strongly think ram is ddr3

9 minutes ago, PiotrMKG said:

I would go with Intel 12700k, MSI z690 ddr4 mobo. If U have ddr4 reuse it. AMD is great in multithreaded apps, DCS isn’t one now. Due to chiplet design all games surfer from wierd fps drops.

found a Z690 for about 240€, fair enough?

1 hour ago, PiotrMKG said:

Due to chiplet design all games surfer from wierd fps drops.

What? Nonsense.

If you experience framedrops, I would investigate the Operating System and the tasks that are running whilst gaming. But it's certainly not a inherent property of the Ryzen CPUs.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Dude if its for DCS and your on a budget have a look at this, AMD 5600x using a Vetroo V5 cooler, 32-64gb DDR4 3200Mhz C16 and a B550 motherboard. 

Before you doubt the 5600x, I had one coupled with my 3090 for a while and it ran DCS 4k@60fps no problem on a mix of high/max settings.

+1 on what Hiob said, AMD 3000 or 5000 series CPU's will NOT I repeat NOT give you framerate drops in DCS. 

Edited by Bossco82
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hiob said:

What? Nonsense.

If you experience framedrops, I would investigate the Operating System and the tasks that are running whilst gaming. But it's certainly not a inherent property of the Ryzen CPUs.

43 minutes ago, Bossco82 said:

Dude if its for DCS and your on a budget have a look at this, AMD 5600x using a Vetroo V5 cooler, 32-64gb DDR4 3200Mhz C16 and a B550 motherboard. 

Before you doubt the 5600x, I had one coupled with my 3090 for a while and it ran DCS 4k@60fps no problem on a mix of high/max settings.

+1 on what Hiob said, AMD 3000 or 5000 series CPU's will NOT I repeat NOT give you framerate drops in DCS. 

AMD has great CPUs for benchmarks or multithreaded optimized apps, but in real life they are a little let down. On top of that USB dropouts aren’t that uncommon, audio cracking all related to AGESA being still a WiP, and the newer AGESA the more AMD is tuning down performance. Newest AGESA is 1.2.0.7 which is supposed to eliminate whole system stutters due to fTPM, but it doesn’t resolve VDDP/VDDG voltage bug still present since 1.2.0.5. 

All in all, if You are content Creator go for AMD if U just game stick with Intel, much more polished platform. And I am not a fan boy of Intel I switched from i7 5960X to AMD 3700X then to 5900X.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bossco82 said:

I will check AMD configs with B550 motherboard combos, thanks

Ala12Rv, yeah a mid range B-550 mobo with a connection compatible for your current ssd and a 5600x will do you just fine. Double check ddr4 capacity too but you should be just fine on that. I had one of those cheaper Vetroo V5 coolers on a 5600x, worked a treat for DCS.

I have seen the same reports and video's concerning AMD issues. I have seen others for Intel too. I'm on a 5900x and X-570S I have seen no issues in Win 10 or 11.

If you have the money and you want Intel get a 12600k and a Z690 DDR4 motherboard, difference is that it will cost you more. Both will work just fine. Might need a better cooler as the Intel chip will run a bit warmer. This is the thing the Intel chip will have a higher performance score, it can do more calcs per second. You dont need it for DCS. 

Edited by Bossco82
  • Like 1

5600x + b500 is up to $200 less than intel + z690, some food for thought definitely

Depending on where you are in the world you could look at used stuff and save yourself even more, up to you if you have the experience for it.

5600x on B550 using one of the Vetroo V5 coolers is about a cheap a decent setup as you can get right now. Just put it in a case with a couple of decent intake fans and your done. Do just fine for DCS.

The 12600k is a faster CPU but if you dont "need" it whats the point. If you have the money to get the best then that would be 12700k using Z690 or a AMD 58003DX using X570.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bossco82 said:

Depending on where you are in the world you could look at used stuff and save yourself even more, up to you if you have the experience for it.

5600x on B550 using one of the Vetroo V5 coolers is about a cheap a decent setup as you can get right now. Just put it in a case with a couple of decent intake fans and your done. Do just fine for DCS.

The 12600k is a faster CPU but if you dont "need" it whats the point. If you have the money to get the best then that would be 12700k using Z690 or a AMD 58003DX using X570.

yeah I don´t mind spending mid level budget every 2-3 years.
my current PC survived this long mostly becuase of pandemic price effects and gpu shortage, and because I was lucky enough to upgrade my GPU during xmas 2020 at a decent price.
thanks everyone, you are helping a lot.

On 7/7/2022 at 3:29 AM, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

yeah I don´t mind spending mid level budget every 2-3 years.
my current PC survived this long mostly becuase of pandemic price effects and gpu shortage, and because I was lucky enough to upgrade my GPU during xmas 2020 at a decent price.
thanks everyone, you are helping a lot.

IF (big if) you can find an 8th gen or 9th gen K series for a low enough price and overclock it (not that hard to do.. countless guides) you could probably extend the life of that system for another year or two at least.   I don't know how functional the H370 Aorus is in that regard though.  

That being said..  most of what I can find listed is high.    

I'd still be running on my 8700K that handled 4.9ghz with no problems but I had like the worst series of brain farts I could have and damaged my socket.  I was attempting something prepared to replace the CPU if I failed, but, ended up having to rebuild my system.   I had it at 5.0ghz for awhile but backed it down for more comfortable temps, as it took a considerable voltage boost from 4.9 to 5.  

My more recent build is what I could find locally at Best buy, and while it's handling 5.1ghz on all cores like a champ and even lets me lower the voltage for a less of an AVX offset,  it's really not offering much for gaming and dcs compared to my 8700K.  

The ryzen releases that came out at the same time and 12th gen could offer an improvement over both but if you find a good enough deal on an unlocked cpu for your existing board it could be a good bang for your buck, provided the h370 chipset allows for overclocking. 

Edited by Headwarp
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I would also recommend getting a M.2 NVMe drive dedicated to DCS. It will not only load DCS faster but it will increase the games overall performance.

When I added a M.2 drive to my PC running a i5-6600k 16GB with a GTX 970 it not only loaded DCS faster but it made DCS run a lot smother without hicups. Before I was running DCS off a hard drive. Even running the M.2 drive on SATA mode (same as SSD) I noticed slower load times and a performance drop compared to NVMe.

Below are the drive data transfer speeds for comparison.

• Traditional 7200 RPM HDD: 160 MB/s
  • SATA III SSD: 600 MB/s
  • PCIe Gen 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD: 3500 MB/s Seq. reads  – 3300 MB/s Seq. writes
  • PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe m.2 SSD: 7000 MB/s Seq. reads – 5000 MB/s Seq. writes

Edited by Evoman
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Evoman said:

I would also recommend getting a M.2 NVMe drive dedicated to DCS. It will not only load DCS faster but it will increase the games overall performance.

When I added a M.2 drive to my PC running a i5-6600k 16GB with a GTX 970 it not only loaded DCS faster but it made DCS run a lot smother without hicups. Before I was running DCS off a hard drive. Even running the M.2 drive on SATA mode (same as SSD) I noticed slower load times and a performance drop compared to NVMe.

Below are the drive data transfer speeds for comparison.

• Traditional 7200 RPM HDD: 160 MB/s
  • SATA III SSD: 600 MB/s
  • PCIe Gen 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD: 3500 MB/s Seq. reads  – 3300 MB/s Seq. writes
  • PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe m.2 SSD: 7000 MB/s Seq. reads – 5000 MB/s Seq. writes

Already got a M2 samsung 970 as win system disk, I have to check if my current motherboard would allow to maximize m2 speed when two units are plugged at the same time, or cut the bandwith in half.
As of today, I have dcs installed into a 1tb crucial mx500 ssd

2 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Already got a M2 samsung 970 as win system disk, I have to check if my current motherboard would allow to maximize m2 speed when two units are plugged at the same time, or cut the bandwith in half.
As of today, I have dcs installed into a 1tb crucial mx500 ssd

If it does not support for two units with at least one at max speed then it would be worth swapping the OS to the SSD and DCS to the M.2.

On some motherboards like mine running the M.2 at max speed takes up another lane of SATA connections reducing the number of drives you can connect to the board to x3.

Am 6.7.2022 um 18:44 schrieb PiotrMKG:

AMD has great CPUs for benchmarks or multithreaded optimized apps, but in real life they are a little let down. On top of that USB dropouts aren’t that uncommon, audio cracking all related to AGESA being still a WiP, and the newer AGESA the more AMD is tuning down performance. Newest AGESA is 1.2.0.7 which is supposed to eliminate whole system stutters due to fTPM, but it doesn’t resolve VDDP/VDDG voltage bug still present since 1.2.0.5. 

All in all, if You are content Creator go for AMD if U just game stick with Intel, much more polished platform. And I am not a fan boy of Intel I switched from i7 5960X to AMD 3700X then to 5900X.

None of the AMD I have build lately suffers those symptoms, I know they are true but they are not present on all systems, actually it's a minority. It sucks if you are among those few, no doubt.

I think, AMD is the much much more polished platform. It is less hassle to install, maintain and update and at least for my own rig, never had a single BSOD since I built it last fall, knock on wood. In 25 years Intel I never had a single system with no BSOD for 9 months in a row, absolut robust sleep/wake-up function and tons of power when you need all cores and all RAM.

Looking at the actual TDP, Intel falls miles behind when you really need all cores and RAM filled, I like that mine stops at 142W and not 242W, or 342W or now >400W with the 13th gen.

Maybe if the Gas supply to EU really stops I might think about gaming on a 13900k to heat my house, not before.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X