Snap views are not saving after I restart mission

Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

Using the F-18, and I'm trying to change the default view.  I adjust (I only want to change the zoom) as desired and hit RAlt+Num0.  It appears to work and save as expected... until I reload the mission, and the view is back to what it was before I changed it.

I have the user snap view option ticked in the options.  Also, the snapviews.lua in the saved games folder IS being changed.

Sorry if this is not a bug.  I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right.  Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Thx.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• Hippo changed the title to Snap views are not saving after I restart mission
8 hours ago, Flappie said:

Some mission files include their own snap views. What mission are you talking about?

I've mostly been using some simple missions I created.  Is it possible I have inadvertently set snap views for these missions?  How would I know, and how would I have done this?

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

And it's just occurred to me that lately I've been running most of my missions from the ME, and that's where I've been trying to save my views from.  Is there any difference when doing this than when loading missions from the main interface?  I will try again later but load the missions from the missions interface.

EDIT: I've just noticed that some of my missions, those which I have been using lately, have a number of folders (including Config/View) that other, older, missions don't.  Could this be related?  Does running missions from the mission editor make changes to the miz file?  I've also noticed that when I load older missions into the ME I am asked to save them on exit even if I've not changed anything.  What is going on here?

New vs old miz file content (I had manually created the kneeboard folder in the old missions):

image.png

image.png

Edited by Hippo

• Solution
1 hour ago, Hippo said:

EDIT: I've just noticed that some of my missions, those which I have been using lately, have a number of folders (including Config/View) that other, older, missions don't.  Could this be related?

Yes, that's what's been bothering you. Simply delete the Config folder and you'll be free to use your own snap views.

1 hour ago, Hippo said:

Does running missions from the mission editor make changes to the miz file?

No, but running missions in the Mission Planner does this. Because that's what it's about: adding some things into the mission, such as drawings in the Ka-50 ABRIS, snap views, thins like that. If you don't want this to happen anymore, don't set your snap views while in the Mission Planner, unless you want them to be saved in the .miz file of course.

1 hour ago, Hippo said:

I've also noticed that when I load older missions into the ME I am asked to save them on exit even if I've not changed anything.  What is going on here?

If I'm not mistaking, the ME detects when the current map view or zoom level (or both) has been changed. Say you open the mission and the map is centered on Maykop. Then you center the view on Batumi, and exit: the ME will ask if you want to save the changes.

Edited by Flappie
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

5 hours ago, Flappie said:

Yes, that's what's been bothering you. Simply delete the Config folder and you'll be free to use your own snap views.

Thank you.  I deleted all the folders except l10 and when going into the mission again I got the view I was expecting, i.e. the view as saved in Saved Games / config.

5 hours ago, Flappie said:

No, but running missions in the Mission Planner does this. Because that's what it's about: adding some things into the mission, such as drawings in the Ka-50 ABRIS, snap views, thins like that. If you don't want this to happen anymore, don't set your snap views while in the Mission Planner, unless you want them to be saved in the .miz file of course.

At this point it remains unclear to me what I did that get those settings in the miz file in the first place.  I'm not sure what you mean by "set your snap views while in the mission planner".  If you mean access the mission planner before flying the mission, I tried this, as well as going in from the mission editor and changing and saving the view again, but I could not get the new folders to appear in the miz.

Anyway, problem solved; thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Edited by Hippo

You're welcome. 👍

I'm convinced the Mission Planner causes this, because I've tried it this morning. Here's a track with embedded snap views. Maybe there are other ways to get to the same result, I don't know.

views track.trk

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.