I Need Your Advice

Being a computer dummy. It makes no sense for me to pick out a new computer. I did last time and the system is now 6-7 years old. It's been pretty trouble free and does seem to perform better than the specs would lead us to believe. I figure I got lucky and I could be due to be unlucky. So, i'd like advice from the experience from you guys. I have about $2200 to spend this time. I'm looking for advice on a built system and a link would be helpful. I'll run DCS, ACC race sim, Hunting sims. I'm easy with monitor and only use a 1080. That lowers the specs I need but I could upgrade the monitor if the system can handle it. I'll never go VR or 4K.

This is what I have now and want to improve on this by a bunch if possible.

17 7700k @ 4.6

1060 6G

32g memory

SSD...........I have a 1Tb HDD which I never used and only a 240g SSD which I put everything on. It was a pain. I just want a much bigger SSD this time and no HDD.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

i like my alienware. this is a current deal. another idea is do dell outlet. i had an r6 for a while i got from there as refurbished. full 1 year warranty.

ALIENWARE AURORA R13 GAMING DESKTOP

(1329)
$2,008.99
processor
12 Gen Intel® Core™ i7-12700F (25 MB cache, 12 cores, 20 threads, 2.10 GHz to 5.00 GHz Turbo)

laptop
Windows 11 Home, English

videocard
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti, 8 GB GDDR6, LHR

memory
32 GB, 2 x 16 GB, DDR5, 4400 MHz, Dual-channel; up to 128 GB (add'l mem sold separately)

harddrive
512 GB, M.2, PCIe NVMe, SSD

color
Dark Side of the Moon

Alienware Aurora R10
$2,037.00

Like New (Refurbished)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900 Processor (12 Core, Up to 4.70GHz, 70MB Cache, 65W)
Windows 11 Home
1TB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive
32GB (2X16GB) 3466MHz DDR4 XMP UDIMM Non-ECC
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X
Dell Outlet Alienware Aurora R10
Original Price$2,910.00
Total Savings$873.00
Standard ShippingFREE
Outlet Price$2,037.00
AL- AUR(R10) : 1 Year Premium SupportINCLUDED

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

32 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

i like my alienware. this is a current deal. another idea is do dell outlet. i had an r6 for a while i got from there as refurbished. full 1 year warranty.

I had an Alienware in the past. Maybe two systems ago. No memory at my age. I seem to remember it worked pretty good. The best computer i ever had was from Falcon NorthWest but that's when their prices were more reasonable. They're way out of reach for me now.

Thank you.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

Buzz for $2200ish with some shopping around you should be able to build a 1440p capable gaming PC with a monitor, its not that hard to have a go yourself, feels like it is but once you get going.

If you were in the UK I would advise Scan UK all day long. I'm guessing USA, you could try Origin custom PC configurator? Never used them though.

I tried building my own system once. I had nothing but trouble with it. I have more knowledge now but not enough to build my own. I'd rather pay more and get a warranty and an experienced built system.

• Like 1

Buzz

I totally understand Buzz and I dont blame you either. The cheapest but most capable gaming setup you can get is based on AMD 5600x, Intel is a few dollars more cased on a 12600k DDR4 system. If your at 1080p and happy with that a 3060ti will be more than enough. 1440p you want something like a 3070 really. Best of luck mate and I hope you get the system you want.

One final thing though, if someone builds a computer for you. It is best to make sure each component has its own brand, Corsair for an example. Not something rubbish the builder has had branded for them. They will have bought those from the cheapest competitor.

4 hours ago, BuzzU said:

I tried building my own system once. I had nothing but trouble with it. I have more knowledge now but not enough to build my own. I'd rather pay more and get a warranty and an experienced built system.

My buddy got a decent pre-built at our local Best Buy.  Personally if a prebuilt is a must I like this route if you live near a store front, as  Best Buy's protection plans are generally hassle free.   If something goes wrong they can't fix, even if you broke it, if it's covered they replace it and you can buy another year of protection for that.   That's on most items anyway.  I'd read up the specifics or ask them in store about protection for a PC.   If they don't have what you in stock but they do online, you can handle returns and warranty issues at the local store.  

Personally I signed up for totaltech when I bought my last phone, as it was basically free because they also applied a $200 discount to my phone.   Everything I've purchased since is covered.  I put a ding on my phone's screen they'll replace it.   I bought a Monitor a week or two ago,  because I'm a member I have a 60 day evaluation period.    In the past, I had them replace a set of high dollar logitech headphones like 4 times before I finally decided I wanted something less prone to failure.   It was like getting a new set of headphones for $15 or some other small amount of money.  

Myself,  I'm not a huge fan of Dell owning one of their laptops.   It likes to insist install a particular piece of software that is a bit of a resource hog that is there to make updating drivers easier.   HP, Toshiba, in general not my go to.

I build my own personally, but my buddy's rig isn't horrible.

Of course.. that's if you're in the US. 

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Headwarp..........I live in a small mountain town in the Colorado Rockies. All I buy here is food and gas. Everything else I buy online. So, no store to go to.

I did the Dell Alienware once and it was a so-so experience. I'll try something different this time. Surprisingly, my present system is an ABS. I believe I got it from Newegg. I think it's their brand. I've never seen it recommended but mine just keeps chugging along running DCS and other games/sims at 70-80fps with zero problems. My 1080 monitor and the fact I don't like shadows and turn them off helps keep my fps up to an acceptable number. I think I got lucky and don't want to try another ABS. I never owned an AMD, but have stayed with Intel. I see AMD recommended a lot and i'm unsure if I should go that way. I know i'll stay with a Nvidia card though.

Still looking.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

1 hour ago, BuzzU said:

I just put together a wishlist with a similar build @ newegg and got 64GB of ddr5 4800 and a 1000w PSU and my total is $2,057 before any tax or shipping.    I did not add a keyboard or a mouse, but frankly my $60-$70 logitech options have been the best purchase I've ever made.  They run on batteries and they last quite awhile.   No more plugging things in.  

Knowing that, it's up to you to decide if the convenience of a prebuilt system is worth that much more money, with less ram.   The $700 saved on a system with more ram could get you a 3090 when you consider the cost of the 3080, and the PSU to run everything overclocked or a VR headset or something to that extent.   If you can get behind installing the hardware yourself and setting up your BIOS and installing windows and all your drivers on your own.     I could further reduce costs of my theoretical build if I wanted to.    I would probably be griping and complaining the whole time I was putting it together and figuring out cable management though.    I'm sure it would be a fine rig either way.  

*oops.. i forgot cooling.. new screenshot incoming, found a refurb h150I for $130.    New price is $2,188.  Closing the gap but still a considerable chunk of change while offering more ram of which the worth is subjective and personal opinion, and still not being terribly more expensive than your prebuilt if you were to swap the 3080 for a 3090.  

I want to suggest that maybe there's somebody who'd put it together out there if you pay him $100 or something and you'd still be saving money, but, I'm in a valley.  Not on a mountain.    Cry once buy once might be the way to go.  For me building is like putting together a lego set.   My friend with his pre-built, it was either that or I build it for him and I sometimes forget my familiarity could be considered the exception.  

Other food for thought - didn't see a motherboard model number on the prebuilt.   It's not hard to close the gap if you start fishing for higher end components.    if one wants to, there are $300 keyboards and mice out there.    I gave up the flashy lights myself and have found the best bang for my buck in a logitech G613 + G603.

image.png

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I found the same system but with a 3080 ti for just $50 more. That seems like a good deal. I don't need the keyboard and mouse. Probably give them away.

I would have thought the parts would add up to more. That's a lot to assemble it. However, how much value can we put on a warranty? Shipping is free, so just some tax will be added. It's more than I wanted to spend because I wanted to get a monitor too and keep it under $3000.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

8 hours ago, BuzzU said:

I found the same system but with a 3080 ti for just $50 more. That seems like a good deal. I don't need the keyboard and mouse. Probably give them away.

I would have thought the parts would add up to more. That's a lot to assemble it. However, how much value can we put on a warranty? Shipping is free, so just some tax will be added. It's more than I wanted to spend because I wanted to get a monitor too and keep it under $3000.

If it works for you it works for you. 🙂 I mean.. If I really tried I could find parts to build a $3000 pc with similar specs.     For me personally, that I could get more ram and a GPU with double the VRAM for not much more if build it makes the build the winner for me personally, regardless of warranty.  Each component at least has a 1 year manufacturer warranty. 

One thing to consider, is that the benefit of a best buy store front is just the ease of being able to drop off returns as the local store front.   If you're willing to eat shipping costs if a return is for any other reason than a defect,  their protection plans are still the only ones I almost always buy on items I'm worried about.  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&browsedCategory=pcmcat287600050002&id=pcat17071&iht=n&ks=960&list=y&qp=graphicscardsv_facet%3DVideo Card~NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti^graphicscardsv_facet%3DVideo Card~NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080^graphicscardsv_facet%3DVideo Card~NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090^systemmemoryram_facet%3DRAM~32 gigabytes^systemmemoryram_facet%3DRAM~64 gigabytes&sc=Global&sp=%2Bcurrentprice skuidsaas&st=categoryid%24pcmcat287600050002&type=page&usc=All Categories

Personally, looking at the listings above.. while they are weird brands like CLX, IBUYPOWER, CyberPowerPC, Skytech..  there are a few with simlar specs that would come out to like $2700-$2800 WITH the protection plan that you may never end up needing. 

The other thing to consider is that, if you're okay with spending that kind of money the thought could be behind you soon enough.   I'm not saying Best Buy is the only vendor worth shopping from by any means.  

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Let me be clear. I would never pay $2100 for a system I built.

The link I gave was to show the system. Not where i'd buy it. Although I have done business with that store and was happy with the service. 

I can't imagine what could go wrong with a system that'd have to ship it back. I may not want to build the system but I can fix what would go wrong with it if warranty sends me the parts.

I've bought built systems from Falcon Northwest, Alienware, ABS, and one other I can't remember. I've never needed to use the warranty. The only system that gave me problems was the one I built. It summer. I'd rather spend my time gaming, fly fishing, and tying flies than messing with a computer.  It's not my thing. Building Jeeps for rock crawling, hunting, fishing, hiking 14,000ft mountains with my dog are more me. Computers are just a tool so I can game. They aren't my hobby. 

Just saying.                                

Buzz

The best would be to have a guy close to you that could assemble the parts for you, while you make a nice BBQ, that sorta thing.

The benefits of a DIY are very clear, you just need to find a solution for "I really don't wanna put it together all by myself"....which I totally get.

It is not for everyone and pushing you towards that is not the ideal solution but programmed frustration, we don't want that.

Could you find somebody in your area that you know that could lend you a hand ?  It's a couple hours...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I wish I could but I don't even know where to look. I don't even know another gamer near me. Everyone is more into outdoors sports. I am too but being retired and single I have more time than most.

I was hoping you'd post in this thread. Is there a built system you recommend for me? Keeping in mind i'll be using a single monitor. 1080 now but could go to a 1440 but not an ultrawide. I sit pretty close to a monitor and don't need a real big one.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

1 hour ago, BuzzU said:

Let me be clear. I would never pay $2100 for a system I built.

lol.

Unless you are a looking for the absolute best chances of achieving extreme overclocks,  many prebuilt systems will probably suit you just fine.   Store bought warranties usually come with less hassle, but at $2k-$3k be prepared to pay a couple to a few hundred dollars for it.   

Manufacturer warranties are generally good for at least 1 year.   Though, it might be worth researching who has the fastest turn around time should you encounter issues.   Any respectable retailer you order from should have you a pre-paid label if it's DOA or if you run into a defect within the return period.  

In that regard, like I said in decades of personal computer building and use,  i have sent ONE component in for RMA.  I could've returned it to Newegg as it arrived DOA.   It was an EVGA GPU and they had a replacement out to me within a couple days of receiving the defective gpu.   If it had been Asus? I'd have just sent the thing back to Newegg. 

That being said... I've owned numerous Asus motherboards and they've ALL worked.   I've otherwise not had issues out of my computer components that weren't caused by abuse or neglect lol.  In the cases of neglect, it was usually just a matter of cleaning or replacing my heatsink.  I've had to replace a couple PSU's back when I had a cat.   Cat hair is a killer.  

Last thoughts.  DCS MP may call for more than 32GB of ram depending on some factors.  I just installed a 64GB kit yesterday and so far, it seems to have cleared up some stuttering on certain runways.   I haven't seen my ram usage above 32GB.  But I have seen it hit 32GB.  Being only a couple days into it.. I can't be 100% certain its not placebo or that I won't be proven wrong. But.. certain runways on busy servers were causing some stutters and I have not experienced that since doubling up on my ram.  

Also, while I have talked myself out of pressing the button on a 3090 so many times since finding out they've in stock because I fly in VR and want all the help I can get.. if you click on my spoiler in my signature you'll see I'm still running a 2080TI and having a good time with it.   My reason for mentioning it was simply if I were your neighbor I could build you a system with all that VRAM and DRAM for about what you're talking about price wise on a pre-built.   

None of us can tell you what to do.  I can only tell you what I'd do. 

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Keep this in mind. I don't play multi in DCS, so 32g of memory is more than i've ever needed. Even a full field of cars in multi for ACC I never needed more than 32g.

As for the 3090? I believe it would be wasted with me just using a single monitor.

The link I posted is probably more system than I need. Going back to my original $2200 will probably buy a system that will handle all I need now. I was going to spend more to make it future proof longer.  Maybe.

I do want to keep under $3000 and my monitor is two systems old. It's a Dell and bought it when I got the Alienware. That was 10 years ago. It must be ready to quit. Still looks good but how long do monitors last? It's been on almost everyday for 10 years.

I know you're trying to help. We're all different though and have different needs. I'm better off buying built. The extra few hundred pays for me not getting frustrated with a system I built. 😉 Assembly is easy. It's getting all the software right with no conflicts etc.

Buzz

I tested my present system so I can compare to my newer system late. I can improve on this one for sure but it's been run a gazillion hours for almost 6 years

PC Status Overall this PC is performing as expected (56th percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 44 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components.
Processor With a brilliant single core score, this CPU is the business: It demolishes everyday tasks such as web browsing, office apps and audio/video playback. Additionally this processor can handle moderate workstation, and even light server workloads. Finally, with a gaming score of 85.5%, this CPU's suitability for 3D gaming is very good.
Graphics 55.2% is a reasonable 3D score (RTX 2060S = 100%). This GPU can handle the majority of recent games but it will struggle with resolutions greater than 1080p at ultra detail levels. (Note: general computing tasks don't require 3D graphics)
Boot Drive 79.7% is a good SSD score. This drive enables fast boots, responsive applications and ensures minimum system IO wait times.
Memory 32GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's far more than any current game requires. 32GB will also allow for large file and system caches, virtual machine hosting, software development, video editing and batch multimedia processing.
OS Version Windows 10 is the most recent version of Windows, and the best to date in our opinion.

Buzz

I hesitated to post this suggestion before , but the Op's later posts suggest making it nonetheless .

Why not add an upgraded gpu and a SATA ssd to the existing pc , along with perhaps a 1440p monitor ?

Substantially lower cost , minimal software issues , and all those items could be transferred to a new prebuilt in the unlikely event you are still unsatisfied .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I'm just running a i7 8700K, MSI 3080ti, 32Gb of RAM, about 4Tb of SSD storage. this system runs the game flat out on a (Reflected's Wolfpack campaign) 32" LG monitor, with TIR. The fps on his campaign runs around 50 to 100+fps. Once in awhile it will take an unexpected drop but not by much. And I have pretty high game and nvidia settings too.

Ben Franklin got it right when he said..................

“Buy what you have no need of and before long you will sell your necessities.”

Cheers

• Like 1

Sempre Fortis

Ok, I bought a system. Have you guys heard of Xidax? I read good reviews, built in Utah, workmanship looks top notched. The best part and this seems unheard of......a lifetime warranty on parts and labor. Price is better than the others too. They build to order, so a couple of weeks to wait. They have some prebuilts too but none were exactly what I wanted.

I bought this.

X-6
$2,570.00
  • GAMMA DARK Case
  • INTEL CORE i7 12700KF 12 CORE 4.9GHz
  • Xidax Ultra RGB 240mm AIO Water Cooler
  • MSI Pro Z690-A
  • XIDAX APPROVED 80PLUS GOLD POWER SUPPLY's: 1000W
  • G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3600MHZ 16GB: 32GB (16x2)
  • NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB
  • WD BLUE SN570 NVME M.2 SSD: 1 TB
  • Xidax Gaming Shield -Virus & Malware Protection
  • Windows 11: Home

Whatcha think?

https://www.xidax.com/

Buzz