I Need Your Advice

Yes, I watched the first one and now the build but it's 2 hours long.

So, you think I should go with the 5800x? That will save some money. It uses a smaller cooler, cheaper, slower memory. I don't believe it can be overclocked either. Probably a lower watt PS too. Is the 3080 still a good choice? The hunting game is only calling for 2070 super card as the recommended. A 3070 would be more than enough. It comes out Aug 16th. so we have the specs for it. The next hunting game come out in Dec and could require more system. I hate to buy a system that not fast enough. To be honest I think i'll be doing the hunting games more than anything else.

Isn't the Intel faster than the AMD? That's not fair. I'm comparing the 5800 to almost the fastest Intel. Certain games like one or the other better. I know ACC gets more fps with the 5800 than any Intel. I think DCs likes Intel better. No idea about hunting games but probably doesn't matter. Anything can run them at max settings. No fast action. We're walking. 😉 I also hunt alone, so no multi.

Buzz

No Buzz,

Those synthetic cpu scores dont resemble actual differences in gaming performance. The 12700k Intel chip is much faster than the AMD 5800x chip. HOwever if you want to run your hunting games, DCS and some other games at 60fps it wont make any difference.

Let me try to explain it to you this way. I use a 5900x cpu, it has x12 of the same cores the 5800x has x8 of. Most games only use x2 of those cores anyway, some use x4. Hardly any fully utilise a modern multi core cpu.

So my 5900x when I am playing DCS is only really pushing x2 out of its x12 cores. Even then on an intense multi player server flying low over all of the trees I see about 75% usage on one core and about 65% usage on the other. Thats as hard as DCS is ever going to ask it to work. That is how I know that you will be just fine using a 5800x.

You only need the best cpu you can get if you want to get as many fps out of a game as you can. I dont advise you doing that at all. I advise you to lock your games to use V-sync using a 60hz 1440p monitor and let the software take care of the rest. Your 5800x will perform in games as fast as my 5900x, I dont feel the need to buy the latest Intel 12700k.

The memory is not faster either. Its DDR5 for the Intel and DDR4 for the AMD. Again in the games you will play you will notice absolutely 0.00% difference. 

You could get a 3070 if you want, but if you want all the eye candy in DCS get a 3080. However if you are happy with a little and I do mean little compromise on the graphics in DCS. Get the 3070. Me I would get the 3080, A 5800x with 32gb of DDR4 and a 3080 is a serious gaming machine by todays standards.

I will tell you what I tell a lot of people. You can spend a lot of money you dont need to spell bound by specs and number. Do you "NEED" it though. The Intel is faster no denying that, I dont think you need it, I dont think you would ever use it.

Ok, I understand. Thanks. I'll stick to the specs you recommend.

Like I said earlier. I'm sure i'll end up playing just hunting games and then i'll use even less.

The monitor I posted is 165hz. You don't recommend playing at that refresh rate?

Buzz

Buzz I dont think you will see the difference to be honest. I'm 40 with 20:20 vision and I use a 4k 60hz TV for DCS, I dont think I am missing anything at all. Ive use 120, 144 and 165hz monitors, they are for people playing first person shooter games online where very fast reaction times help the gaming experience.

In games like DCS, IL-2, MSFS 2022 and the hunting games by EW. Its my opinion but 60hz is enough. Any more and your only making you computer hardware work harder, get hotter and use more electric. If I am honest I think it will get too confusing and add too many settings into you getting an enjoyable gaming experience. I have played The Hunter and had an EW account, so I know the pace of those games.

You want a 32" 60hz IPS monitor. IPS is the screen tech and IPS gives a very clear image. The panel on my 4k is IPS. This Viewsonic is at Amazon, they are good I use to have one. 

ViewSonic VX3211-2K-mhd, 32 SuperClear IPS-Type panel

Hang on sorry, if you want a smaller monitor by all means Buzz get one, its the resolution that makes a difference not the screen size.

The screen size is your personal choice, you know, what fits on your desk and all that. 

A 32" about 18-24 inches away is pretty perfect for gaming for visuals. For me personally I like a big screen. Let us all know how you get on Buzz.

Man, am I tired of looking at systems and reading reviews. Of all the companies who make per-builts it came down to Origin and Maingear. With Maingear winning the battle. They're expensive but they have a pre-built with a good price. I built the same system but used their custom built system and it was close to $3000. I probably wouldn't have picked the 5900X but it was the only system in my price range that had the 3800. I added another 16g of memory to it and it's still a good price considering how expensive Maingear is. The 3080 is the Founders Edition, so I gain a little there too. I can add another 512g SSD later if I need it. I have enough money left to buy a monitor. So, all my goals are met and i'm happy with who I picked to build the system. I can't believe how many companies are buildings systems that have horrible reviews.

https://maingear.com/product/vybe-rtx-3080/

Buzz

GENESIS

Case : Corsair 680X
Exterior Color : Black
Current Special Offer : Free US Ground Shipping
Current Special Offer : Free iCUE RGB Lighting with CORSAIR NODE PRO
Current Special Offer : 4th of July Promo
Processors : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.6GHz Max Boost)
Motherboard : MSI MEG B550 Unify
Memory : 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB RT DDR4 3200MHz (2x32GB)
System Cooling : Corsair H60i PRO XT
System Fans : ORIGIN PC Maximum Fan Kit
Graphics Cards : NVIDIA 10GB GeForce RTX 3080
Operating System : MS Windows 11 Home
Operating System Drive : 2TB Samsung 870 QVO Series
RAID : No RAID
Power Supply : CORSAIR RM850x SERIES PLUS GOLD PSU
Power Supply Sleeved Cable : No Sleeved Cable
Audio : Integrated High-Definition Audio
Networking : Onboard Network Port
The ORIGIN Difference : The Best Gaming Experience Guaranteed
ORIGIN Maximum Protection Shipping Process : ORIGIN Wooden Crate Armor
24/7 U.S Based Warranty : 1 Year Part Replacement with 45 Day Free Shipping
Free ORIGIN PC Gear : ORIGIN PC T-Shirt
Size : Medium
Free ORIGIN PC Gear : ORIGIN PC Mousepad

this is just over $3000.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Those outfits that build computers are going to get parts cheaper than you will BuzzU so you will lose everytime. Just make sure they are reputable parts, read reviews on the installed parts. They have a lot more experience building computers, cable management, and tweaking it to work like a well oiled machine.  LOL

If they let you pick your parts, even better. Check to see how customer support is seen by others in the reviews and that they have On Call technical support.

Let us know what you pick and how it runs once you get it. 

“Care about what other people think, and you will always be their prisoner” 

Cheers

Sempre Fortis

I rattled through a couple of custom specs at Origin and Cyberpower using their configurator, came to $2800 if it helps. That was with a 5800x, 32gb DDR4 and a 3080.

Roughly what taxes are applies in the States?

Edited by Bossco82

1 hour ago, Bossco82 said:

I rattled through a couple of custom specs at Origin and Cyberpower using their configurator, came to $2800 if it helps. That was with a 5800x, 32gb DDR4 and a 3080.

Roughly what taxes are applies in the States?

Another $100 get me to 32g on memory. So, it's a 5900x which adds to it. Plus, the 3080 Founders Edition adds to it. Also, shipping is free and no sales tax. It seems like a good deal considering MainGear is always more expensive than everybody else. That just seems to apply if the customer pick the parts. They knock off about $500 for the ready to ship systems. They only offer a few of those. Parts are all good brand names.

Buzz

Basically Buzz as long as Maingear are not fobbing you off with a lower spec CPU cooler or power supply then you should be ok.

5900x is solid, I have one. 3080 founders is a good thing too. An extra 100$ to go to 32gb is also reasonable mate.

Let us know how it goes.

Don't forget what I said about storage Buzz....... you can always get more after it's in your hands.  the M.2's go on the Mobo so there is no cables to run to the SATA ports and Power Supply. If you play DCS you understand...

Cheers

Sempre Fortis

56 minutes ago, Bossco82 said:

Basically Buzz as long as Maingear are not fobbing you off with a lower spec CPU cooler or power supply then you should be ok.

5900x is solid, I have one. 3080 founders is a good thing too. An extra 100$ to go to 32gb is also reasonable mate.

Let us know how it goes.

I will. He told me the brands are the same as if I custom built it. Most of them are in the description. Should have it next week. Coming from NJ and i'm in Colorado. Free shipping is always slow.

48 minutes ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

Don't forget what I said about storage Buzz....... you can always get more after it's in your hands.  the M.2's go on the Mobo so there is no cables to run to the SATA ports and Power Supply. If you play DCS you understand...

Cheers

I remembered. I'm sure i'll add another 512g. I'll wait to see what games I settle into.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

I just realized I don't need to sit close to the monitor anymore. I've had a cataract for the last 5 years and the last year it got bad. I was wearing my reading glasses to see which made me sit real close. I just got up and when I sat down I was much farther away than I normally sit. I reached for my glasses but looked at the screen before putting them on and it was crystal clear. I could see all the small print that I struggled with the glasses.

I had cataract surgery last week and my vision has been blurry but slowly getting better. It must have taken a big jump of clearing up because it been a long time since I saw this good. Finally, I don't need to wear glasses and i'm 80. Whatever lens they put back in my eye has corrected all my vision problems. Damn! This is what you guys have been seeing? I may be blind in one eye but the other one is making up for it now.

Buzz

Yeah, don’t go the Intel DDR5 route, the 5800X delivers for less money and stays cooler overall.

keep the info coming

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

1 hour ago, BitMaster said:

Yeah, don’t go the Intel DDR5 route, the 5800X delivers for less money and stays cooler overall.

keep the info coming

I've bought the one in the link I posted above at Maingear. It's the 5900X which I wouldn't normally have picked but it's part of that package that appears to be a good price for Maingear. Kind of light on memory and SSD but I can add to it. I was still uncomfortable with Win 11. This system comes with Win 10 which has worked good for me. 

Now, i'm trying to come up with a good 2K monitor without spending too much. One that is flicker free to help eye strain I get from the monitor I have now. Plus, i'm sure it will look better than my old 1080. Although no complaints about this monitor I have. It's given me 10 years of trouble free gaming.

Buzz

Call me a dummy but i'm having a problem figuring out how to transfer my info to new system. My plan was to give away my old system to someone who needs a better system. He's trying to game with 20fps.

So, as an example. My online bank account. Simple enough to log off my old system and log on the new system. When I log on the new system does that log me back on the old system? The same with email and other sites. How do I remove everything from the old system without messing it up for the new system.

If I was keeping the old system it would be easy but i'm giving away a system that has all my info on it.

Buzz

8 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Call me a dummy but i'm having a problem figuring out how to transfer my info to new system. My plan was to give away my old system to someone who needs a better system. He's trying to game with 20fps.

So, as an example. My online bank account. Simple enough to log off my old system and log on the new system. When I log on the new system does that log me back on the old system? The same with email and other sites. How do I remove everything from the old system without messing it up for the new system.

If I was keeping the old system it would be easy but i'm giving away a system that has all my info on it.

There are two answers to this, depending on the case.

Your old system stays in the "familiy" and you just want your logins not used by them. Just log off from any service and make sure, that no login data is stored in the browser e.g.; uncheck any "keep me logged in" box.

If you give it away to strangers, I'd personally recommend to thoroughly wipe any harddrive or even better - exclude them from the sale.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I'm giving it to someone I know from a hunting forum. I've only talked to him for a month or so. So, not a stranger but I don't really know him either. He seems like a nice guy but who can really tell? I hate to wipe the SSD clean or remove it. I have everything on the SSD. It also has a 1TB HDD that i've never used. I could remove the SSD and let him use the HDD but the system won't perform as well. I don't know if he was a Windows to put on the system.

I suppose I could change the name and password on the bank account. Just log off everything else. How do I get rid of all my favorite links on the old system and keep them on new system?

btw..There is no sale. I told him to pay for box and shipping and he could have it.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

You have to choose

convenient OR save.

You could use the old ssd in your new system, put a generic cheap one in the old and tell him to download windows by himself.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"