I Need Your Advice

Buzz, I hope you take me advise on the data issue. You are giving a complete system to someone you know. Please remove you HDD/SSD whatever has data in your old system and keep them. Then you can transfer data using usb adapters at your leisure.

Your being charitable enough Buzz. Don't be too charitable protect yourself completely first. If the person you gift the system to is not one of the following. Family or a very physically local and long term friend.

They can put their storage drives in your machine!

By the way my mate 87 had cataract surgery this year. Took about 2-3 weeks for his vision to totally improve. 

Take it easy Buzz, anything else just ask us.

OK, as usual, another approach to the problem:

Online Banking and Online Email Services do not store data anywhere on your computer but some cookies, nothing that could be used against you.

The easiest way to wipe all of that stuff from your PC is to create a new user with admin privileges and once you have logged into that one, delete your old "BuzzU" account and choose "delete all my files and folders as well" ( or similar, mine is german ). That will destroy the old account, including all files and folders under C:\users\BuzzU.For those saying one can recreate the files deleted, yes, some agency or well skilled hacker could but no ordinary hunting mate, let's stay realistic.

There are other ways to clean out Windows, one is even ment to be used before you give the PC away to unknown people. It basically does the same thing, wipes all accounts but also deletes most of the software/drivers installed. ..and it takes HOURS to complete...I'd rather install from scratch, seriously. The "feature" is located in the Recovery section of CP

The last option I want to mention, reinstall Windows from USB and format the drives during the setup....or just FORMATthe drives with a USB bootstick and send the machine with blanked drives.

Again, unless you wipe the drives with Method-XYZ, DoD-abc and the NSA123 method things can potentially be restored, maybe not so with SSDs but who knows.

You don't own thousands of Bitcoins neither do you manage your 3 Yacht's online nor check your 2 dozen Swiss Bank Accounts to see how the Billions grow...so I wouldn't be too nervous about  being compromised this way....99,99% chances all will be good.

If your Pal does not know much about computing, sending him a PC with blanked drives might not be a good idea...The Hunting Forum would have to take over then  LoL

Send me a PM if you think Teamviewer would be a good idea. I can lend you a hand/mouse to clean it out safely while you watch it. Just shoot me a PM.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Buzz, if I was you, you could go my route and just keep your hard drives.

However, that's because I don't know as much regarding software and security as Bit master does. If you can get on TeamViewer with him. That's your best bet. His advise on this will be better than mine.

Best of luck with the new system mate.

Edited by Bossco82

My old system has a 240g SSD and a 1TB HDD. I have everything on the SSD. I could keep that and give him the system with the HDD. I'm giving him an $1900 system that could have a few years left in it. He can buy a new SSD. Hopefully, he has Windows.

I think if I just log off all my sites and change the password on my bank account I should be safe. True?

Buzz

Bank has been super busy, so I don't sign the paperwork until Fri morning. Maingear said they would get it shipped around Tues. I should get it by the next Mon. If i'm super lucky (won't happen) i'll get it Fri-Sat.

Right or wrong this is the monitor I went with.

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-tuf-gaming-vg27aq-90lm0500-b013b0-27/p/N82E16824236987?nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Hatch&AFFID=2879876&AFFNAME=Hatch&ACRID=1&ASUBID=s16573076881624q6ha52417&ASID=&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2879876&ranSiteID=9SHw.8narkE-vEWCCznqTtzhDpMb3Hi4Dw

Buzz

Yeah thats a great choice on the monitor Buzz, you should not have any compatibility problems at all with that.

Yeah anything like your bank, paypal, eBay and Amazon etc etc, just do a password change on anything that might have bank card details. Its good practise to do this every now and then anyway Buzz. 

Since i've always run a 1080 monitor. What can I expect from the 1440? How would it affect dogfighting? Wouldn't the enemy plane be smaller?

Other than dogfighting what will I see. More detail?

Buzz

52 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Since i've always run a 1080 monitor. What can I expect from the 1440? How would it affect dogfighting? Wouldn't the enemy plane be smaller?

i went from https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VE278H-1920x1080-Back-lit-Monitor/dp/B0099XBO5E to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YLGH9Q5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i found that everything is more clear and pixels are finer. it was a definite improvement.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

5 hours ago, BuzzU said:

That sounds good. Now that i've had cataract surgery and see clearer I can see what the 1440 monitor is offering me.

Sounds like you are around my age Buzz.... Obsolete..... :inv:

Sempre Fortis

16 hours ago, BuzzU said:

No, the size of all objects stays the same (given the same fov setting)*. But they will be made from roughly double the amount of pixels, which will make them sharper. E.g. a far away bandit, that would be 10 pixels on your old monitor, is now 18 pixels on your new one.

The most noticable difference though will be sharper dials and gauges, clearer lines and edges and so one. It's one of those things - you're happy with 1080p until you upgrade to 1440. Once you get used to 1440 you will have a hard time to go back.

(Edit: *except the monitor is larger in diameter)

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

12 hours ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

Sounds like you are around my age Buzz.... Obsolete..... :inv:

I turn 80 in Dec. I was born at the beginning of WW2. Man, that was a long time ago. 😞

3 hours ago, Hiob said:

No, the size of all objects stays the same (given the same fov setting)*. But they will be made from roughly double the amount of pixels, which will make them sharper. E.g. a far away bandit, that would be 10 pixels on your old monitor, is now 18 pixels on your new one.

The most noticable difference though will be sharper dials and gauges, clearer lines and edges and so one. It's one of those things - you're happy with 1080p until you upgrade to 1440. Once you get used to 1440 you will have a hard time to go back.

(Edit: *except the monitor is larger in diameter)

I got it. Sharper image, clearer image (due to cataract gone), and a bigger screen (21" t0 27") all should help me see the planes better.

Buzz

2 hours ago, BuzzU said:

I turn 80 in Dec. I was born at the beginning of WW2. Man, that was a long time ago. 😞

I got it. Sharper image, clearer image (due to cataract gone), and a bigger screen (21" t0 27") all should help me see the planes better.

Pretty much.

A speck of fly<profanity> stays a speck of fly<profanity> though. 😅 But don’t worry, I habe a bigger screen and 4K and still have a hard time spotting bandits…😅

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Basically Buzz a 1080p monitor has 2 million-ish pixels and they get shared over how large your screen is. 21" for example.

A 1440p monitor is about 3 million-ish pixels, so it gives an image with more detail. You will enjoy it I am sure.

It's all about the Gauges and MFDs. Once those are readable clearly it's a big step forward. 

Meanwhile I personally think that I would love to play on my 55" 4k @ 4k. A thing I never thought would be my preference but watching all those 4k YT vids about DCS made me change my mind, despite that the YT codec takes the icing off the cake.

1440p is a good sweet spot, most cards can cope with it and until 4k cards are mainstream 4k will remain a top end solution for a few only tho things look better now as prices come down.

I certainly wished I had a big 4k screen at solid 60fps with decent eye candy...LoL. Watching a YT vid at my 55" at 4k and then go and fly on my 27" 1440p became kinda strange.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Nobody was using 4K before the 3080ti? I have no desire to use 4K, i'm just curious. I didn't think my system was that far away from a top system? Other than needing more ram but that's an easy fix. Is a 3080 that far from a 3090? I would have got one but I thought it was overkill.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

I played in 4K with a 1080ti without much problems. Given with lower settings than now.

With a 3080 you can easily play 4K in mostly high settings.

The 1080ti was a marvelous card though. I didn’t joke when I suggested to rather get a used 1080ti than a 3060.

Edited by Hiob

A 3090 is overkill unless your going to go 4k or a high resolution VR headset. A 3090 is overkill for a lot of games. I can say for a fact DCS can push a 3090.

Before the high end 30 series cards you could use DCS at 4k if you were willing to sacrifice a few graphics setting, shadows, SSAA, 4x MSAA or just accept the game running below 60fps.