I Need Your Advice

On 7/15/2022 at 8:26 PM, Bossco82 said:

A 3090 is overkill unless your going to go 4k or a high resolution VR headset. A 3090 is overkill for a lot of games. I can say for a fact DCS can push a 3090.

Before the high end 30 series cards you could use DCS at 4k if you were willing to sacrifice a few graphics setting, shadows, SSAA, 4x MSAA or just accept the game running below 60fps.

agreed that the 3090 is overkill for DCS. though with all my years of gaming, i always built or bought a rig with parts that were ahead of the curve. i play everything on highest settings and have zero issues. i cannot play VR because of various issues. pancake is just fine with a good monitor and head tracking.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

10 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

agreed that the 3090 is overkill for DCS. though with all my years of gaming, i always built or bought a rig with parts that were ahead of the curve. i play everything on highest settings and have zero issues. i cannot play VR because of various issues. pancake is just fine with a good monitor and head tracking.

Depends on how you define "overkill".

Far beyond the best "value for money" point? Certainly (though prices are free falling atm).

No additional benefits regarding fps or visual fidelity? Certainly not. A 3090 can easily be brought to its limits in DCS. So - unless you are for whatever reason limiting yourself to 1080p - A 3090 is not "overkill" from a technical point of view.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

vor einer Stunde schrieb silverdevil:

Alienware Aurora R12, 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD, RTX 3090 24GB , i9 11900KF, 128GB Quad Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Dell AW3420DW

Your Memory is still Dual-Channel. 4 slots are being populated but that is not the same as a Quad-Channel setup. The 11900KF only has 2 channels.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

15 minutes ago, BitMaster said:

Your Memory is still Dual-Channel. 4 slots are being populated but that is not the same as a Quad-Channel setup. The 11900KF only has 2 channels.

correct. Dell "probably assigned updating spec documents task to intern". the cpu does not do quad channel. there are other benefits to the rig though.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I've always read it's best to run a game at the native resolution of the monitor. The one I bought is 165Hz (supports 144Hz). Can I run DCS or other games at that?

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

21 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

I've always read it's best to run a game at the native resolution of the monitor. The one I bought is 165Hz (supports 144Hz). Can I run DCS or other games at that?

You're confusing resolution with refresh rate. For visual fidelity, it's always best to run windows and any kind of program in the native resolution of the display in use (though you can run other resolutions without problems). Resolution is either quoted in X by Y or 1080, 1440 or 4K (pixels/lines). You won't reach the maximum refresh rate of such a monitor most of the time though. (Refresh rate is quoted in Hz) And in doesn't matter. That is, what G-Sync or Freesync is for. It will match the monitors refresh rate with the output, your GPU is capable of at any given moment, to give you a smoother experience.

Edit:

btw. the advertised speed of such "high-speed" monitors (in your case 165Hz) is often achieved by some technical trickery that gives you penalties in other aspects - most likely picture quality. That doesn't matter for CS:GO e-sport players, but for Flight-sim'ing and most other games (and windows), I'd recommend to stay with 144Hz or even 120Hz. (You won't achieve either fps with DCS most likely anyway)

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Yep, what Hiob said...

Resolution is the number 2560x1440 for an example, pixels across, pixels up/down. The refresh rate of the monitor is basically how high the monitor can refresh the image per second. So how this translates, if your gaming at 144fps on a game, but your PC is plugged into a 60hz monitor its pointless because the monitor cant really show your eyes 144fps.

However like you BUZZ, "IF" you want to fly in DCS with a constant and solid 60fps, very good for a smooth flight sim experience. On a 165hz monitor this is fine because the monitor can show "UPTO" 165fps. 

This is where you would take advantage of the variable refresh rate technology, or, G-Sync. In your monitor. You can lock DCS at 60fps, 75fps or 90fps and it will synchronise with that monitor perfectly. NO stuttering or screen tearing. Search Google for an example image of this.

I would recommend running DCS at the Native resolution, 2560x1440. Then in the Nvidia control panel set a maximum fps for DCS. 60fps is generally perfect for any flight sim. It stops your system working harder than it has to constantly.

Personally I‘d say that there are additional benefits up to 120 Hz in DCS. Especially when you are using head tracking to look around. But this is a matter where a lot of opinions collide.

60 Hz is where you will definitely have a good experience, but keep in mind that this will fluctuate a lot depending on the scene. To have >= 60 fps 95% of the time, you will have much higher fps often.

To have a monitor that supports 120Hz+ is definitely not a waste. I will adopt to whatever fps you (can) throw at it up to its advertised speed.

(some people are even ok with 30 fps - which is playable, but being at this point will definitely give you a clunky feel when panning around and the fps may even occasionally drop to a slide show.)

Edited by Hiob

I think TrackiR will run better at 60 hz locked(or 30 , 120) . Several threads here regarding TiR causing micro-stuttering unless running at a harmonic of 60 .  I would (and have) setup the graphics to run 60 hz locked for the smoothest experience when running TiR .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

TiR's native polling rate is 120Hz, so that's why 120fps/Hz fits best IF your GPU can maintain that level. For us mortals, 60fps must be good enough LoL.

30fps is borderline flyable. It is enough to get addicted but not enough to hover a Mi-8 or Huey on the spot, that really shines with more fps, even 60 feels less responsive than 90-120fps imho, but for fixed wing or anything but hovering and AAR 60 is good.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm curious what my old system will get with the new 1440 monitor. It comes tomorrow and the system hasn't been shipped yet. So, I have time to play around. I could maintain 75 fps but that's on 1080 and shadows off. Most everything else kind of high. I tried vsync on and didn't see any difference. I normally don't use vsync or restrict fps. I just let the system run where it wants to. However, this system i'm getting is more than i'm used to.

I also do racing sims and a higher fps seemed to make the wheel and pedals more responsive. I wonder if that is the same for joysticks?

Buzz

1 hour ago, Svsmokey said:

I think TrackiR will run better at 60 hz locked(or 30 , 120) . Several threads here regarding TiR causing micro-stuttering unless running at a harmonic of 60 .  I would (and have) setup the graphics to run 60 hz locked for the smoothest experience when running TiR .

Please, for the sake of whatever. Don’t go down this rabbit hole. It won’t help OP at all.

(and it’s not true btw….)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb BuzzU:

I'm curious what my old system will get with the new 1440 monitor. It comes tomorrow and the system hasn't been shipped yet. So, I have time to play around. I could maintain 75 fps but that's on 1080 and shadows off. Most everything else kind of high. I tried vsync on and didn't see any difference. I normally don't use vsync or restrict fps. I just let the system run where it wants to. However, this system i'm getting is more than i'm used to.

I also do racing sims and a higher fps seemed to make the wheel and pedals more responsive. I wonder if that is the same for joysticks?

Regarding controls:  Read my post above yours, yes, it does matter and most noticeable for me when flying helicopters and hovering, that's where 30 fps suck, 60 are OK and 90+ are great, and I can tell the difference till around ~100fps. The more fps the smoother the input, especially if you have lots of changes of axis in a short time and you really want your front wheels or elevator or swash-plate to do all those steps, as analog as possible..many many many dots to form a line. The more dots you can place on the chart for the 1 sec interval the more complex axis manouvers you can reproduce in the sim. With 30 dots you can do far less than with 60 or 120... I could think of drifting a car sideways with permanent wheel input left&right works far better at 144Hz than with 45fps.

You can jank the stick around as much as you want in 1 second, at the end of that 1 second only 30 points where used and connected. The looks of that path printed with 30 dots looks

very different to one that could record 60, 90 or 120 or 240fps. Maybe that helps to understand why fps matters beyond eye candy

15 hours ago, BuzzU said:

Yes, it does. I'm glad I bought more system than I planned on originally. My controllers will feel better.

Thanks all.

That's expensive in short term, but the money will be soon forgotten. Later you will be happy you did.

34 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Not sure it will be forgotten. I have two years of payments paying it off. 😉

Oh. Well, at least your hardware won't be completely outdated by the time you paid off....😂😁😉

Edited by Hiob

Shouldn’t matter. Display Port is a save bet, HDMI should work nowadays without issues, too. (HDMI needs to be very up to date to support high frame rates and g-sync. But a new monitor should be fine.)

I ended up using display port. I'm shocked how much better this monitor looks compared to my old 1080. Colors and detail are so much better. Everything is bright now too. I don't know what i've been missing can imagine what 4K looks like. The good part is I went into a hunting game and was getting 77fps with 1080. With 1440 i'm getting 80fps. How is that possible?

Buzz

Let's don't dive to deep into that, but it's unlikely that the fps gain is due to g-sync. You probably changed something else along the way, be it settings, drivers or whatever.

Don't think to much about it. The most important thing is, that you have a good experience. 1440p is quite an improvement over 1080p - and when your hardware can sustain decent fps whilst pushing that many pixels > that's a win!

Have fun!