I Need Your Advice

No, I didn't change anything. I opened the game with 1080 and never moved the scene. Left the game and unplugged 1080 and plugged in 1440 and went back in game. It's the only game installed, so I can't try it on another game.

I have 3 display ports on the card in my old system. I assumed they were for triple monitors. Does it matter what port I plug in to?

Buzz

Is this game actually running in 1440? If it is set to 1080, it won't neccessarily switch to 1440 automaticly - and if it does, maybe it has a different preset for the higher resolution.

I don't know the game, and such matters are difficult to diagnose from a distance, sorry.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I looked in Nvidia and it had changed to 1440 and thought it had in game too but wrong assumption. I did notice Nvidia had the refresh rate at 60 and I changed it to 144. Good or bad decision?

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

Always keep THIS setting at 144Hz, no matter if you want to lock FPS at i.e. 60 or 120. It corresponds with the Win10/11 monitor settings refresh rate, they change together if you alter any one of them.

If I got this right myself, if you lock it at 60fps for example, the screen will refresh 60 times in a second..tho it could 144 times..but it doesnt need to to run properly. It's like sticking to 3rd gear and 60mph and not let the dogs loose in 4th and 5th...tho you could if you wanted to but you have reasons not to ( TiR flicker or Cops behind you ). 

My screen always runs 144Hz, regardless if locked fps or not. It's one of the settings you set once and only check if it still says 144 after some updates etc... set&keep.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Installed DCS to see how old system ran on 1440. With my normal settings and a plane just sitting on the runway in single player I get 30fps. That's why I always stayed with a 1080. It gave me 75fps.

So, on 1440 on a crowded multi server. Will the new system get god fps? I didn't even have shadows turned on. DCS isn't optimized very huh? How are you all running 4K and VR? 

Buzz

19 hours ago, BuzzU said:

Installed DCS to see how old system ran on 1440. With my normal settings and a plane just sitting on the runway in single player I get 30fps. That's why I always stayed with a 1080. It gave me 75fps.

So, on 1440 on a crowded multi server. Will the new system get god fps? I didn't even have shadows turned on. DCS isn't optimized very huh? How are you all running 4K and VR? 

Had you enabled V-Sync? Even numbers like 30 and 60 are always suspicious. In case you don't know: V-Sync will try to lock the fps on 60, but if you can't achieve 60 fps but only, let's say, 55. It will fall back to 30 fps (60/2). So if you want true results on how performant your machine is, do the testings always with V-Sync forced off.

Regarding 4K and VR. Performance (in fps) doesn't scale as linear with higher resolution as it used to. Especially when you go easy on post processing effects. I already played in 4K with my old system (4790K +1080ti) - given, in lower fps and with reduced visual fidelity -  but it is possible. Though, you can't expect to right lock all sliders, ramp it up to fantastizillions of pixels and get fluid fps. It's always a tradeoff, even with top-tier hardware.

And don't take youtube-videos of DCS as a reference. The youtube algorithms smothens the videos quite a lot and most DCS-youtubers will ramp up the visual fidelity at the expense of high fps probably.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I never use v-sync. It was off. It wasn't right on 30fps. It was 31-32fps.

I have bigger problems. I can't hear anything. I thought it was wax buildup but after using the oil we can buy to clean out wax for 4 days and flushing with water there's no change. I have to see a doctor today. No matter how high I crank my TV and sit right next to it I can't hear it. With headphones turned all the way up I can't hear any videos. In a racing game I can't hear the engines with sound at 100%. This all came on in one day in both ears. It can't be wax but what problem could I have that would affect both ears at the same time?

My legs are numb from the knees down and I drove my Jeep and racing games by sound only. I can't feel the pedals. It's going to be an adventure driving my Jeep with no sound. I'll have to just use seat of the pants and the tach.

I sure hope it's wax.

Buzz

31 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

I never use v-sync. It was off. It wasn't right on 30fps. It was 31-32fps.

I have bigger problems. I can't hear anything. I thought it was wax buildup but after using the oil we can buy to clean out wax for 4 days and flushing with water there's no change. I have to see a doctor today. No matter how high I crank my TV and sit right next to it I can't hear it. With headphones turned all the way up I can't hear any videos. In a racing game I can't hear the engines with sound at 100%. This all came on in one day in both ears. It can't be wax but what problem could I have that would affect both ears at the same time?

My legs are numb from the knees down and I drove my Jeep and racing games by sound only. I can't feel the pedals. It's going to be an adventure driving my Jeep with no sound. I'll have to just use seat of the pants and the tach.

I sure hope it's wax.

I hope you will be ok! Getting old sucks, doesn't it? 😅 There is no good alternative though, and it is just - sooner or later it will get everyone! 🙈

Phew! I'm not going deaf. The oil I was using finally started to work and I pulled out a big chunk of wax. My ear popped and I can hear better. I have an appointment Wed to have them cleaned out.

Buzz

my oldest son had the same couple weeks ago...and he's 20. Got nothing to do with age btw. He said it came so slowly he only noticed when he was obviously already half deaf. Pulled that plug out and now he hears everything again  LoL.

Has the rig arrived yet ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Yes, it came yesterday. I was stuck for awhile. The first thing it did when I turned on the new system was to want me to start an account. After a couple of question it wanted to send me a code to enter. I had two choices. Email which I hadn't activated yet and a text to a cell phone which I have no need for. I was stuck and couldn't go any farther. I went to bed scratching my head. Then it dawned on me if I disconnect my cable it might not start at starting an account and that's what happened.

I got chrome installed but couldn't get my favorites. I lost all my links. I finally got my yahoo mail working. I wanted to see how much performance i'd gained and the easiest game to install was a hunting game. I was shocked. With all the same settings I got 62fps with my old system. With the new system i'm getting 235fps. WHAT!!

I'll install DCS and see how it does. Old system was 32 fps with new monitor at 144Hz. Let's see what I gained.

Buzz

Ok, verdict in. I had to install DCS twice. System was set to turn off after 30 min. I would have thought downloading would be enough activity to stop that. I guess not. Anyway, I changed sleep to never. I get 42 mb/s download, so it doesn't take too long.

Ok, with the A-10c tank Killer sitting on the runway ready to take off. (instant action) I got 30fps in my old system. New system gets 170fps with shadows off. With shadows at med-default I get 130-140 fps.

That's just sitting on the runway. I'm sure in a mission i'll get much less. However, i'm getting twice what I got with old system and i'm on 1440 now. So, a pretty good gain.

I'd like to test ACC with a full field of cars and be at the back of the field showing all cars.

What is this black plastic thing a few inches long that plugs into a USB port and says Kingston 32 GB on it?

Maingear gives no paperwork or manual with a system. I remember Falcon Northwest came with a nice manual. 

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

1 hour ago, BuzzU said:

What is this black plastic thing a few inches long that plugs into a USB port and says Kingston 32 GB on it?

Maingear gives no paperwork or manual with a system. I remember Falcon Northwest came with a nice manual. 

that is a USB drive. maybe for system restore if the internal drive fails?

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

3 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Ok. Thanks. A manual would have been handy.

its possible that the USB drive has the manual on it. just guessing though. search on the drive for *.PDF

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

How do I get into the Nvidia settings? I've always right clicked the desktop to bring them up. It's not there with this system. GF Experienced is installed. Is that the problem?

Is it safe to run at over 200fps? I have everything turned up to max. (hunting game) Temp for CPU is 65degrees playing in game. I'm guessing it will run much hotter in DCS?

Buzz