offset leap motion

Tony86

hello everybody

i am playing only in VR now in the hornet 

i am testing leap motion at the moment and it looks amazing.

i have build a small setup with my rudder and my warthog stick well  center between my legs.

the problem is that my right hand seems to be offset to the left because when i put my hand on my real stick, in VR my hand is on the left of the stick of the f18.

do you know if it is possible to calibrate or to correct the position of my virtual hand.

if i want to see my virtual hand on the stick of the f18 in the game i must almost put my right hand on my right leg wich is not convinient.

any suggestions?

thanks for help 

It's not possible to calibrate the position of the hands as the tracking data comes directly from the ultraleap software.

The only way to get them to line up is to perfectly position your physical hotas with the virtual one and even then it's virtually impossible to make it repeatable.

If you have hands control hotas options ticked then the leap hands will snap onto the virtual hotas but then that fights control over the physical hotas and you will crash!

(edit) I've not tried unbinding the axis controls to the physical joystick and using the leap hands to control the virtual hotas. I suspect that it might not work great even if the idea is nice. (/edit)

If you have the hands control hotas options unticked then the leap hands will hide themselves as soon as you add control input on the physical controls.

For immersion sake, I think the ideal solution would be for the hands to snap to the controls when hotas input is detected (but not actually control the virtual hotas). If they could be connected to an IK rig on the VR pilot body (where it exists) that would animate the arms moving with the gloves then that would be phenomenal 🙂

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

2 hours ago, edmuss said:

It's not possible to calibrate the position of the hands as the tracking data comes directly from the ultraleap software.

The only way to get them to line up is to perfectly position your physical hotas with the virtual one and even then it's virtually impossible to make it repeatable.

If you have hands control hotas options ticked then the leap hands will snap onto the virtual hotas but then that fights control over the physical hotas and you will crash!

(edit) I've not tried unbinding the axis controls to the physical joystick and using the leap hands to control the virtual hotas. I suspect that it might not work great even if the idea is nice. (/edit)

If you have the hands control hotas options unticked then the leap hands will hide themselves as soon as you add control input on the physical controls.

For immersion sake, I think the ideal solution would be for the hands to snap to the controls when hotas input is detected (but not actually control the virtual hotas). If they could be connected to an IK rig on the VR pilot body (where it exists) that would animate the arms moving with the gloves then that would be phenomenal 🙂

thanks for all your advices.

i had already deactivated the controls of the stick in the virtual cockpit. so my physical warthog has full priority on controls.

so for the moment i will play with the right hand offset of the virtual stick and see if i get used to it.

but so far i have to admit that leap motion seems great. and i really hope to play whole missions with it.

maybe leap will be improved in the future. lets hope!

thanks again edmuss for your answer.

What i do, I use the cockpit ctrl move view keys with my leap motion in VR.  And use a small knee keyboard. To make small adjustments when needed like startup, to improve tracking when you are using leap motion , because of its limited fov limited  narrow view, make sure look at the center position your wanting to use, turn your head look right at it you get better hand tracking, like the left side panel or lower you get better tracking than say just zooming out and glancing at it with just eye's. Also find it tracks better when 2nd hand your not using is hidden. so not tracking both hands , I try to move it out of view and not use it until I need to or hide when not 🚭 using.    also any issues with leap motion , just unplug it and plug it back in, try to limit any reflections into it leapmotion  device,  cover/move if on monitor on a  arm.   I have also made my arm rest flip back on my chair, make my main flight stick on a stand so I can re position it to line up with the cockpit when possible, future I plan on trying to repositioning throttle the same way and future collective.  Also you can also use the VR ip'd eye setting to resize the cockpit! to match your rig  % width distance better, as long as you got it aprx in right location, sp make it smaller or bigger  in VR tweak that. Other than that I am trying to make my area clear where I touch the front/bottom/sides panels, so I don't hit my hands.  I use a stand that can be lowered or raised for my main frame.  I don't fly none vr sims, so I don't have any use for physical panels with working gauges or mpds just the frame for mounts,  future Idea ,I want to  build a generic cockpit  frame addon for my stand, with  added 3d printed parts and use side tubes , for sliding on flat base panel box for positioning and mounting the side throttle and collective controllers and or other mounts to get closer to a actual physical layout for VR.  So my rig is still a work in progress and I am trying to keep costs down with mostly building it by hand.   ya leap motion and stream box are great for VR , I am finally building a newer rig computer  now because of openxr/leapmotion/stream deck.  my old vr desktop pcwas for dcs 2.5 no good anymore even with vr mods.  so time for newer pc and maybe newer vr wired headset is in the works now also for dcs 2.7 and msfs2020 new hardware extra's I plan on using. 

image.png

288450898_10160912028204252_2181814818522736023_n.jpg

20220624_170553.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-10 173336.png

Edited by battlegear2099

13 hours ago, battlegear2099 said:

What i do, I use the cockpit ctrl move view keys with my leap motion in VR.  And use a small knee keyboard. To make small adjustments when needed like startup, to improve tracking when you are using leap motion , because of its limited fov limited  narrow view, make sure look at the center position your wanting to use, turn your head look right at it you get better hand tracking, like the left side panel or lower you get better tracking than say just zooming out and glancing at it with just eye's. Also find it tracks better when 2nd hand your not using is hidden. so not tracking both hands , I try to move it out of view and not use it until I need to or hide when not 🚭 using.    also any issues with leap motion , just unplug it and plug it back in, try to limit any reflections into it leapmotion  device,  cover/move if on monitor on a  arm.   I have also made my arm rest flip back on my chair, make my main flight stick on a stand so I can re position it to line up with the cockpit when possible, future I plan on trying to repositioning throttle the same way and future collective.  Also you can also use the VR ip'd eye setting to resize the cockpit! to match your rig  % width distance better, as long as you got it aprx in right location, sp make it smaller or bigger  in VR tweak that. Other than that I am trying to make my area clear where I touch the front/bottom/sides panels, so I don't hit my hands.  I use a stand that can be lowered or raised for my main frame.  I don't fly none vr sims, so I don't have any use for physical panels with working gauges or mpds just the frame for mounts,  future Idea ,I want to  build a generic cockpit  frame addon for my stand, with  added 3d printed parts and use side tubes , for sliding on flat base panel box for positioning and mounting the side throttle and collective controllers and or other mounts to get closer to a actual physical layout for VR.  So my rig is still a work in progress and I am trying to keep costs down with mostly building it by hand.   ya leap motion and stream box are great for VR , I am finally building a newer rig computer  now because of openxr/leapmotion/stream deck.  my old vr desktop pcwas for dcs 2.5 no good anymore even with vr mods.  so time for newer pc and maybe newer vr wired headset is in the works now also for dcs 2.7 and msfs2020 new hardware extra's I plan on using. 

image.png

288450898_10160912028204252_2181814818522736023_n.jpg

20220624_170553.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-10 173336.png

ok thanks for your feedback.

i do the same at home. i am trying to build a setup with throttle, stick and rudder away from my desk in order to fully operate leap motion.

This is my F16 mockup.
It is made of very light material (parts are glued). I glued soft foam on the surfaces where buttons are pressed in VR. This way I have a main feedback when I press a button.

Unfortunately the third party planes don't have Leap Motion support.
But as soon as a new aircraft (maybe the F14) comes along I will build a mockup for it too.

Changing the mockups is very easy and fast

IMG_2022-1-30-132513.jpg

IMG_2022-1-30-132434.jpg

IMG_2022-1-30-132012.jpg

6 minutes ago, A.F. said:

This is my F16 mockup.
It is made of very light material (parts are glued). I glued soft foam on the surfaces where buttons are pressed in VR. This way I have a main feedback when I press a button.

But as soon as a new aircraft (maybe the F14) comes along I will build a mockup for it too.

IMG_2022-1-30-132513.jpg

IMG_2022-1-30-132434.jpg

IMG_2022-1-30-132012.jpg

👍

2 hours ago, A.F. said:

This is my F16 mockup.

IMG_2022-1-30-132513.jpg

IMG_2022-1-30-132434.jpg

IMG_2022-1-30-132012.jpg

Hmm I like that, might have to look at that for mine.  How much did the foam cost.

Edited by battlegear2099

€ 5,00 (80x120 cm)

I still had the soft foam (black).
The material is 1.5 cm thick and relatively soft. You can easily press a finger into it.

It is a bit tricky to find the right dimensions and distances.
One person has the headset on and points with his finger and another (friend/wife) transfers the measurements to the material.

Edited by A.F.

Am 11.7.2022 um 17:08 schrieb battlegear2099:

Hmm I like that, might have to look at that for mine.  How much did the foam cost.

This is the material I used.
Remember to paint it black. Then the tracking of the hands is better.

I am testing this big flat styrofoam foam temp to see if it will cover the entire front cockpits for sizing and so don't bang my hand will trim the areas not used. And will glue on some black paper if tracking issues are issue, and card board on back for strength so don't get broke.  I am planning a generic 3d printed front modular systems outline for any aircrafts or other VR flying games with leap motion, so a empty  shell main panel ,holds small window box Mpd / switches area.  frames that can slide or snap pegs anywhere on the main panel to match cocpits.  Just for VR ,then will insert foam into the box panels for a permanent vr solution I hope. Also no issues with white color,only shiny/light that reflects into the leap motion camera effects the tracking and obviously blocking of the vr sensors if you've got them on tripods I have found.

IMG_20220717_175920_732.jpg

Edited by battlegear2099

Good ideas!

Let's fight for Leap Motion to be developed further by ED.
Unfortunately, we are still too few pilots who use hand tracking.
That's the problem: if too few use Leap, ED will not develop it further. But if it is not developed further, half too many disadvantages and people don't choose Leap... etc. etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Tony86 said:

i find leap is perfect to push buttons.

for rotaries i have created a small pit to turn knobs like HUD COMS etc....

Can you clarify?  Do you mean for the rotaries you use a seperate button box with physical controls?
It's odd, I find some rotaries implementation much better than others, the KA50 I have no issues with them but the A10 it can be 30% success rate on activating the switch in the correct direction!

13 minutes ago, A.F. said:

And it's a shame I can't use Leap motion in the F14 with its many buttons!

One day! 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

37 minutes ago, edmuss said:
22 hours ago, Tony86 said:

knobs like HUD COMS etc....

Can you clarify?  Do you mean for the rotaries you use a seperate button box with physical controls?
It's odd, I find some rotaries implementation much better than others, the KA50 I have no issues with them but the A10 it can be 30% success rate on activating the switch in the correct direction!

in progress....

20220902_171924.jpg

• Like 1