Fuel management and engine fuel starvation

DmitriKozlowsky

I wanted to experiment with low fuel states and fuel starvation, and see how auto fuel management work. 

Flew around a bit until both front and aft tanks got below 100. The center ('feed tank') remained at three digits. At front tank at 20, and aft tank at 30, the center was still three digits.

Few minutes later, front tank displayed empty E and aft tank showed low two digits, one engine died. With only one turning I began a rolling quasi autorotating landing, as second engine died 20 feet AGL, but rotor kept turning and rolling landing went fine. I was busy with low power aircraft thus do not recall exact fuel state in center tank, but I do recall that there was fuel in center tank. Yet both engines starved out. So is the center feed tank not usable fuel below a certain level. With fuel management on automatic, wouldn't the system feed starving engine from another tank ,where there is fuel.

You mean the Center Auxiliary Tank?  That is actually an "external tank" but installed inside the ammunition bay. The auto-management system only balances the fuel between the AFT and FWD tanks. It won't help you manage the fuel inside those Auxiliary Tanks.  The fuel in the Auxiliary tanks can't be used directly by the engine.It need to be sent to the FWD or AFT tanks first.  To do this,you need to manually turn on the C-AUX(or the L-AUX/R-AUX for the External Auxiliary Tank on the wing) on the FUEL PAGE.  It's default to off. 

Hope this will help.

Kyoto Animation forever!

Yes it does. Thank you. So even with crossfeed to NORM , crew has to manually shift fuel from aux tank to main tanks. Actually that makes sense tactically, if main tanks got perforated, shifting fuel to the damaged tank would just cause it to be lost.

With AUX tank removed ammo bin storage rises to 1200 rounds. Just a tad higher then 1180 of A-10C.

The fuel lights turn on at 240lbs for the front tank and 260lbs for the aft tank. These work as intended, I actually was flying a mission last night where we got busy and forgot to turn the center aux on and we got both fwd and aft fuel low caution lights (we had 1100lbs of gas). We turned on the Robbie, it emptied and the lights went away. 

Usually I’d start the Robbie at the first fuel check or on the ground during my hover power check. Got a bit distracted (and I haven’t flown with a Robbie in 10 years, so it’s not a normal part of my thought process). Long story short, the Robbie is managed purely by the crew, and not the aircraft since it was a later addition and. It part of the original design. Interesting trivia, the Robbie actually uses a separate electrically driven pump to push fuel to the main tanks. It is not run by the aircrafts IPAS system like the normal fuel transfer pump is.

Edited by bradmick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
5 hours ago, Zyll said:

Can you explain how the fuel check works, and would you do it while flying after hitting c-aux for the Robbie tank? I am fuzzy on this aspect of the Apache. Thanks!

Page 107 and 108 of the manual describe it. But instead of the pilot doing a fuel consumption check over the span of 15, 20 or 30 minutes to calculate average burn rate, the fuel check function does it for you and then let's you know when it's finished.

The aux tank doesn't have any effect on the fuel check itself, but since aircrews are normally running periodic fuel checks anyway, it can double as a reminder to turn on the aux tank later after you've burned off some fuel from the main tanks.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

On 7/14/2022 at 9:04 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Robbie tank? Is that the external self-deployment tanks? Robbie as in what? It robs you of an external station?

It Robs you of bullet space for your gun. Without it you get a lot more than 300 rounds. 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb DmitriKozlowsky:

Only 900 or so 30mm HEDP. 'Tis nothing.

1200 rounds total is nothing for a Copter? ooookay....

vor 4 Stunden schrieb DmitriKozlowsky:

Reminder to ask ED , via Wish List, to add Vulcan C-RAM vehicle . Perhaps as replacement for M-163 VADS. Maybe Iron Dome. But I digress.

What? totally on the wrong topic here?

And thanks @Raptor9 and @BIGNEWY for the explanations. Can be closed i guess !? 😉