Today's dumb question: AA missile load config

Fuggzy
Go to solution Solved by skywalker22,

11 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

To reduce fluttering effect is only refering to have AMRAAMs on wing tips.

My question was do the AIM-9s go better on stations 2/8 or 3/7?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

7 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

If you intend to carry AIM-120, it is best to have them on wing tips. For the rest its not relevant. Its up to your personal preference. Which means that you can carry AIM-9 on any other available stations.

Drag Index is lower with the AIM-9 on 3 and 7 rather than 2 and 8.  Don’t know if this is actually modeled or not in DCS though, but might as well load it this way just in case.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Machalot said:

Are you addressing the OP about wingtip 120s or my follow up question about AIM-9s on 2/8 vs 3/7?

Wingtip 120s.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The missile config has lots of decision factors. In Sidewinder (S) AMRAAM (A) config the decision between AAS and ASA is usually AAS. I don't know the exact reason but I could guess.

Wings provide lift and fuselages don't so it's good to put heavy stuff near where lift is produced at least to minimize airborne loads. The opposite is true on the ground where the wheels provide the "lift." AIM-9s are sensitive to wing twist in terms of aiming. There is compensation but it's not exact so more inboard is less wing twist to undo. AIM-9Xs have enough FOR that being masked by items beside it is a concern. It's also possible that AIM-120 exhaust is not kind to AIM-9 nose glass. Store tips produce shock wake which gives rise to interference drag both for carriage and steady launch. Having all 3 missile tips line up "AAS" probably reduces store-store interference effects. But I don't know how many of these effects and more are considered and which was given priority.

I'm curious if the "ASA" config was ever tested or flown. My hazy memory is of pictures of that load but I can't remember what else was carried or much confidence in that memory at all. Almost always it's "AAS".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Frederf said:

The missile config has lots of decision factors. In Sidewinder (S) AMRAAM (A) config the decision between AAS and ASA is usually AAS. I don't know the exact reason but I could guess.

Wings provide lift and fuselages don't so it's good to put heavy stuff near where lift is produced at least to minimize airborne loads. The opposite is true on the ground where the wheels provide the "lift." AIM-9s are sensitive to wing twist in terms of aiming. There is compensation but it's not exact so more inboard is less wing twist to undo. AIM-9Xs have enough FOR that being masked by items beside it is a concern. It's also possible that AIM-120 exhaust is not kind to AIM-9 nose glass. Store tips produce shock wake which gives rise to interference drag both for carriage and steady launch. Having all 3 missile tips line up "AAS" probably reduces store-store interference effects. But I don't know how many of these effects and more are considered and which was given priority.

I'm curious if the "ASA" config was ever tested or flown. My hazy memory is of pictures of that load but I can't remember what else was carried or much confidence in that memory at all. Almost always it's "AAS".

That is a phenomenal post. Thanks! 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

On 7/28/2022 at 10:28 AM, skywalker22 said:

Thanks for the article link sir -- best answer!  The YT video of a Viper flutter demo/test is neat -- I had no idea the F-16 has a flutter problem.

edit: it feels like freedom to know I can stop changing the default loadouts to put the AIM9's on the tips every. single. time.  🙂

Edited by Fuggzy
  • Like 1

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro