Second JDAM always falls well short

dporter22
Go to solution Solved by Bunny Clark,

When attempting to drop two JDAMs on the same target in PP mode, the first hits the target correctly but the second always falls well short.  Not just a few yards short, but not even in the vicinity.

I enter all the parameters, select QTY and box two stations, then proceed as normal to release the weapons.  Both weapons release but only the first gets to the target.

What am I missing?  

QTY allows you to release multiple weapons in a single pass. This has nothing to do with coordinates that are entered into them. 

No way to copy the coords over, as far as I figured. That said, in a real aircraft, you wouldn't be inputting them the way we do. In the real thing this is done before stepping, and loaded via the DTC. Which we don't have, so we have to punch everything in separately.

• Like 1

• Solution
1 hour ago, dporter22 said:

Sorry, I'm confused.  Releasing multiple weapons is what I want to do, but above it says selecting two JDAMs won't do that and you have to enter the same coordinates for two different weapons.

You program target points for each bomb ahead of time, and then selecting QTY allows you to release multiple bombs with one pickle. Once released, each bomb will go to the target point it was assigned. You can program 4 bombs to 4 different targets, select QTY 4 to release 4 bombs at once, and they'll all guide on their own different targets. If you want to drop multiple bombs on the same point you'll need to program multiple stations to the same coordinates, or if you're dropping GBU-38s double-loaded onto the same station you can program the station to the target point and both bombs off that station will guide to the same location.

So the only thing QTY does is release multiple weapons in succession with one press of the release button, or you can press the release button multiple times to do the same thing since it cycles to the next stations anyway.

I also tested whether you can release two weapons from the same station with one press of the release button and you cannot.  You have to press the button twice.

6 hours ago, dporter22 said:

So the only thing QTY does is release multiple weapons in succession with one press of the release button, or you can press the release button multiple times to do the same thing since it cycles to the next stations anyway.

QTY allows you to pickle them off more or less at once, which is way faster than trying to do that with multiple pickles. 

And yes, to drop more than one bomb per station, you have to pickle twice. Also, you program the bombs per station, so if you want to bomb 8 separate targets, you need to cycle to the second coordinate set for each of them. Inconvenient, but that's how it is in the real Hornet. It's possible to do in a single pass, but tricky.