Coop Rockets: Range and Accuracy

Poptart

Hey all, 

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended. Occasionally I've wanted to use the rockets at maximum range on an area target (around 6 to 7km). I'll get George to lase the target and I'll fly the aircraft into constraints. When the I-bar turns solid (usually around 6km), I fire. The rockets fall very short, as in they only travel about 3km. Shouldn't the computer tell me that I'm out of range? Based on information I found online, Hydra rockets have a range of around 8km. This is at about 500-700 feet AGL. 

Anyone else seeing this? 

Also for illumination rockets, is there any reliable way to aim them so they come down over a particular target area instead of fly themselves into the ground when aiming them?

Thanks!

Currently, it seems the ballistic calculations only go out to ~4.5km, even though they should go out to 7.5km for Mk66 and >9km for CRV-7. My solution has been to create a target point and manually aim at that target point rather than rely on coop rockets, that way I can elevate the pylons more appropriately. It's like playing battleship at first but eventually you can make some sweet long range hits.

Illumination are supposed to burst at about 3.5km downrange by default, so I would use the above manual strategy to aim above the target area and when within 4km, fire rockets.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NeedzWD40 said:

Currently, it seems the ballistic calculations only go out to ~4.5km, even though they should go out to 7.5km for Mk66 and >9km for CRV-7. My solution has been to create a target point and manually aim at that target point rather than rely on coop rockets, that way I can elevate the pylons more appropriately. It's like playing battleship at first but eventually you can make some sweet long range hits.

Illumination are supposed to burst at about 3.5km downrange by default, so I would use the above manual strategy to aim above the target area and when within 4km, fire rockets.

Do you mean the calculations in the aircraft related to aim point, or in the sim in general?

13 hours ago, Scaley said:

Do you mean the calculations in the aircraft related to aim point, or in the sim in general?

In the sim, if you use either coop rockets or a fixed target point, aiming at the target point only gets you decent accuracy within 4.5km. As you get further away, rockets always fall short, as it seems the ballistic calculations only go out to 4500m. If you manually aim the rockets at a fixed point by using your head to aim above the target, the rockets will connect (although dispersion will be greater of course). This is in contrary to the real thing, which is supposed to calculate out to 7.5km for the Mk66 motor and 9km for the CRV-7 motor. That is to say, if your target is within 7.5km and you either have good laser ranging for coop or a good target position, the computers should properly elevate the pylons to hit the target out to that distance without you having to elevate your head or modify your aim point.

Some illustrations:

rocket_example1.jpg

Setting up a target point via CPG TADS designation.

rocket_example2.jpg

At 4.5km, using both TADS and HMD designation via target point, we take our shots.

rocket_example3.jpg

Our hits at this range. Not perfect, but within acceptable margins of error.

rocket_example4.jpg

Now, ~6.5km using HMD designation. Note that even though we're looking right at the target point, pylon elevation hasn't changed much from 4.5km.

rocket_example5.jpg

Our rockets fall short! Out of range? Nope...

rocket_example6.jpg

By looking above the target point and elevating the nose we can get closer to the target and beyond it! The rockets are more than capable of hitting quite some distance out. However, the ballistic calculations seemingly stop at 4.5km, so any time you try to use COOP or aim directly at a target point beyond that range, they'll fall short. What should happen is a pylon elevation inhibit, which can be corrected by either elevating the nose to give sufficient space for the pylon actuators or by getting closer. The only "stop" should be at 7.5km.

Edited by NeedzWD40

try to aim to the middle of the I beam, give some pitch before the shot. at max ranges when I beam become solid it starts from above while you are closing to the target it comes down but if you give some pitch to heli it come down instantly then your shot won't fall short. but don't expect %100 accuracy, shots will fall near the target but if you aren't lucky you won't destroy target because of the splash damage insufficiency

On 7/17/2022 at 5:29 PM, Solo_Turk said:

try to aim to the middle of the I beam, give some pitch before the shot. at max ranges when I beam become solid it starts from above while you are closing to the target it comes down but if you give some pitch to heli it come down instantly then your shot won't fall short. but don't expect %100 accuracy, shots will fall near the target but if you aren't lucky you won't destroy target because of the splash damage insufficiency

The beam's vertical element only indicates the maximum articulation of the pylons (and the beams position indicating your yaw error). It shouldn't affect anything as long as it's valid.

• 7 months later...

That‘s great news. Thank you.

This makes rockets in COOP much more effective. I like COOP mode very much.

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1