F10 Radio Menu in Iron Flag Mission???

I am a brand new user trying to figure out DCS and planes and campaigns and terrains and kneeboards and my ears are smoking. I am trying to do Iron Flag mission 1 and am getting stuck at F10 Radio Menu. When I press F10 I get a map but no Radio Menu. Please advise.

I also like the kneeboard used in the mission. I would like to use if for other practice flights but can't find it to copy into my A-10 kneeboard folder. Where is it located?

I wish the instructions would remain on the screen rather than disappearing after a short time. 

Are campaigns updated? Where would I find updates? 

Lots of questions, I know. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, maajr57 said:

I am a brand new user trying to figure out DCS and planes and campaigns and terrains and kneeboards and my ears are smoking. I am trying to do Iron Flag mission 1 and am getting stuck at F10 Radio Menu. When I press F10 I get a map but no Radio Menu. Please advise.

It's intended when you are in Communication menu, you can choose different comms options with F keys. Sometimes you have in this menu an optional one accessible with F10 (but just when you are in the Comms menu, out of this menu will trigger just the map).

I also like the kneeboard used in the mission. I would like to use if for other practice flights but can't find it to copy into my A-10 kneeboard folder. Where is it located?

To have *.png images in your aircraft Kneeboard, just unzip and copy png files accordingly (if folders are not there, create new ones):

F18 for example:
\Saved Games\DCS\Kneeboard\FA-18C_hornet
or
\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\FA-18C_hornet

others:

A-10A

A-10C

A-10C_2

AH-64D_BLK_II

F-14B

F-16C_50

MosquitoFBMkVI

SpitfireLFMkIX

SpitfireLFMkIXCW

UH-1H

I wish the instructions would remain on the screen rather than disappearing after a short time. 

You can take screenshot or there is a message history in the pause menu

Are campaigns updated? Where would I find updates? 

Are updated by normal DCS update cycles, so when available you'll update DCS and get the update for all your stuff

You can access a lot of docs and manuals, just browse the main DCS path:

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Doc    (example for A10C_2)

same for campaign in:

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\campaigns --> and entering specific folder you'll find the Doc one

Main DCS general Manual:

Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Doc

Edited by pokeraccio
typo
  • Like 1

Thank you Pokeraccio!

I appreciate the time you spent to help me. I understand PNG's and where they are kept in Saved Games. The kneeboard I am looking for is in the Iron Flag mission.

That question is one Baltic Dragon would likely know. It's not in the obvious places. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, baltic_dragon said:

For the F10 radio menu remember to DISABLE the Easy Comms (which is crucial for this campaign) and bind the HOTAS comms button aft - fw - down. When you push any of these you will get the radio menu show up.

Thank You Baltic Dragon! Easy Comms is probably the issue. Will check it out.

Any clue where I can find the kneeboard used in the Iron Flag Mission for the A-10C? It's not in the obvious places.

Thank you Pokeraccio!I appreciate the time you spent to help me. I understand PNG's and where they are kept in Saved Games.

Thanks @pokeraccio for these explanations! 

My pleasure.

The kneeboard I am looking for is in the Iron Flag mission.

That question is one Baltic Dragon would likely know. It's not in the obvious places. 

\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\campaigns\A-10C Iron Flag Part I\Iron Flag M01.miz\KNEEBOARD\IMAGES\

You can open the *.miz file with any unzip app (I use 7zip file manager), you then have the self explain folders to search your specific mission kneeboard *.png/jpg pages

Edited by pokeraccio
typo

I was flying in free flight, and I pressed F10 and got the map and I am trapped! I can't get out! This is the same issue I had in the training lesson when I hit F10 for the Radio Menu. I got the map view and could not get out of map view and no radio menu. The Easy Comms are off in my settings Baltic Dragon.

16 hours ago, baltic_dragon said:

Thanks @pokeraccio for these explanations! 

For the F10 radio menu remember to DISABLE the Easy Comms (which is crucial for this campaign) and bind the HOTAS comms button aft - fw - down. When you push any of these you will get the radio menu show up.

I set the center Mic switch on HOTAS Throttle to COMM Push To Talk Call Radio Menu. What do you recommend for the 4 surrounding Mic buttons? (Fwd, Aft, Lft & Rgt) 

Still have not resolved the F10 trap. Once I press F10 to view the map, I can now get the radio menu but I can't get out of map view! Please advise. Thanks.

13 hours ago, maajr57 said:

Still have not resolved the F10 trap. Once I press F10 to view the map, I can now get the radio menu but I can't get out of map view! Please advise. Thanks.

Just to be sure, to go back to flight deck you have to press F1 key (Cockpit view).

So if you are not able to go back in flight deck by pressing it, I would check key bindings in Options->Controls->FA18C SIM

55 minutes ago, rforce said:

Hi @pokeraccio

i think you mean : controls : A 10C ll SIM ? 😃

yep. sorry, I'm in a kind of tunnel vision with the F18... 😀

@maajr57

If i understand you correct:

you will bind the 3 radios of the A10C to your Hotas ?
which Hotas do you have ?

normally :

forward: vhf am

backward: vhf fm

down: uhf

i think (DCS is updating cannot test ist) 😉

AMD Ryzen 3900xt 32 Gb DDR 4 NVIDIA RTX 4070ti

4 hours ago, pokeraccio said:

Just to be sure, to go back to flight deck you have to press F1 key (Cockpit view).

So if you are not able to go back in flight deck by pressing it, I would check key bindings in Options->Controls->FA18C SIM

Got out of F10 map trap while trying this. At first F1 didnt work but F11 got me out. Gonna investigate further by checking bindings. Thank you.

• Like 1