Just want to tip my hat to the gentlemen at Razbam. The Harrier is a masterpiece. Perhas the best in the game.

Nipe2989

I'll stay short and concise:

The training is bar none the best in DCS. Leagues  above anything else. Every aircraft should follow the lead of this system. The short versions are great too for homing specific skills or if you don't have all day.

The AP / Stability systems are how they should be on other jets, the  AV-8B is an older jet and it has imo the best stability augmentation in the game. Makes refueling or orbiting an ease while dialing weapons systems, etc.

Hovering is challenging but rewarding. I appreciate how you guys didn't  make it easy mode like the F16.

Carrier landing is amazing.

I'm just blown away.

Will add more later.

Thanks guys.

• Like 12

It is a quirky plane to be sure. But I've always been a fan, notwithstanding a few ups and downs the plane has had along the way. It still might be Top 3 for me out of all the DCS modules, along with the Ka-50 and the Hornet.

• Like 3

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Yeah, the first tie I was just doing a normal TO with some crosswinds in Vegas, and after a smooth and elegant lifting of the nose to a optimal AOA and FPM climb, when the jet rolled to the 180 and I  had to egress upside at 40 feet agl - I knew she had some quirks!

She does however offer impressive opportunity for training and mastery of it's flight profile. SVTO/L handles incedibly well once you practice - I'd like to try to recreate that movie scene where they are in hover firing off Mav's and sidearms.

Second, AAR is a dream! once you get this plain stead it stays STEADY! Especially if you add a little bit of AP/Stabilization. First plane in DCS I ever got to drink with!

And one more but surely  not all - THE THING HOVERS!

7 hours ago, Beirut said:

It is a quirky plane to be sure. But I've always been a fan, notwithstanding a few ups and downs the plane has had along the way. It still might be Top 3 for me out of all the DCS modules, along with the Ka-50 and the Hornet.

OFC the F18 is DCS's MASTER piece, and  it feels like it everytime we fly it.

Wny te KA-50? Never tried!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nipe2989 said:

I'd like to try to recreate that movie scene where they are in hover firing off Mav's and sidearms.

So would I, but unfortunately I don't believe that is possible. I think the nozzle needs to be completely rearward in order to fire weapons?

On 7/19/2022 at 3:53 AM, Dangerzone said:

So would I, but unfortunately I don't believe that is possible. I think the nozzle needs to be completely rearward in order to fire weapons?

Never tested it. I don't recall reading that the nozzles must be fully forward to fire weapons. When I get home this afternoon, I will test that out.

On 7/17/2022 at 6:54 PM, Nipe2989 said:

Hovering is challenging but rewarding. I appreciate how you guys didn't  make it easy mode like the F16.

Did I miss something? I find hovering in the F-16 extremely difficult - in fact, I haven't succeded yet. 😂🤗

• Like 6

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

i think the guns can (if over 70ffm) but mavs need nozzle nearly full rearward to fire (need to double check)

I have done guns and bombs with 20-30 deg of vector in, can't remember which.  More than that and you can't fire anything AFAIK.

7 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

i think the guns can (if over 70ffm) but mavs need nozzle nearly full rearward to fire (need to double check)

I´m pretty sure the Harrier can´t fire the gun pod while hovering. I´ve read somewhere that the gun pod is powered by bleed air from the compressor that in hover mode is redirected to the control thruster thingies (forgot their name).
And even if it was possible, the recoil would most likely knock you out of a stable hover.

Not sure about missiles...

• 2 weeks later...

After a year off of DCS, jumping back in the Harrier has been a pleasant surprise.  Razbam has put the Night back in Night Attack.  Although The NVG experience in VR is still terrible, the overall experience of night ops is vastly improved.  What difference a year makes.
Keep the good work.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

5 hours ago, nessuno0505 said:

I'm very interested in this module, but I have some questions:

- is the manual finished?

The official manual is still wip (Oct 28th 2021) and doesn't cover weapons or the Gen 3 TPOD

The most up to date sources would be Chuck's AV-8B Guide (July 31st 2022) and video's from deephack, etc. made in the last 12 months.

- how is updating it? Are updates frequent?

Updates are frequent/regular and focused on bug fixing and system fidelity. IIRC next "big" fix that's WIP is to the INS designation logic, etc.

All the DCS AV-8B's systems are in and working but have not always been "true" to their RL logic/limitations 

Is it already considered feature complete?

It's feature complete, AFAIK no more weapons or ECM pods are planned.

IIRC most of the included training missions, etc. require updating (to a greater or lesser extent) due to core changes in DCS and/or the AV-8B. 

• Some older loadouts (i.e. TER mounted rockets) have been removed following SME feedback (so there may be other restrictions planned).
• Adding a newer ITER to better reflect 2017 RL loadouts (allows for side by side JDAMs) has been asked for but AFAIK is a low priority compared to improving the OFP H6.2 system modelling.

Comment

• The largest divergence to RL that I'm aware of is the AV-8B's AWLS landing system that is modelled as an ILS derivative in DCS (rather than ICLS as used by the Hornet, etc). AFAIK Razbam have no plans to change this inaccuracy (SME feedback is that AWLS was rarely used and CASE 3's mostly used a TACAN approach).

Edited by Ramsay
Update date of Chuck's latest AV-8B Guide

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

1 hour ago, nessuno0505 said:

Don't you think it's quite weird to consider a module feature complete without a complete official manual?

Not when core features such as INS designation are being reworked and the time frame of the module has changed from ~2007 to ~2017.

New/updated systems have to be created/implemented, then checked/validated by SME's before finally being past on to Open Beta and/or documented in the manual.

For example, to avoid reworking the training missions/campaign again and again, it was decided to only add them after the module was complete. After 2 years it was thought time to add the training missions, etc.as users were asking for them. Another 3 years later these "finished" missions need to be reworked again.

This is what happens when the community ask for more modern weapons/systems (or an SME reports a bug) and the dev's listen.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 3

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080